Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pete Mack
    Prophet
    • Apr 2007

Yes, I just verified that is the case. It wasn't always so, however. You could ignore low-dice weapons when you got strong enough.

Originally posted by Nick
    As far as I'm aware, you can't ignore daggers - you can only ignore object kinds which appear somewhere in the main ignore menu (before the quality and ego menus).

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
      Veteran
      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Pete Mack
      Yes, I just verified that is the case. It wasn't always so, however. You could ignore low-dice weapons when you got strong enough.
      Are you talking about Vanilla? In all the years I've played this game, there's never been an ignore of artifacts, and when has there ever been an "ignore", or previously a "squelch", based on values in Vanilla? Maybe you're talking about a variant? Having an ignore based on values is something Fizzix tried to workout, if I recall, but never found a good implementation or interface, so the effort was shelved.
      “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
      ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• fph
        Veteran
        • Apr 2009

I think Vanilla gets it about right in the balance between power and complexity. Tome's automatizer was extremely powerful, but it was also a mess to use.
        --
        Dive fast, die young, leave a high-CHA corpse.

Comment

• Pete Mack
          Prophet
          • Apr 2007

Ingwe--
          You had to pick and choose the weapons you wanted to ignore. Alas, there is no reasonable way to do something similar for armor types, because even very low base AC armor (such as soft leather boots!) has excellent artifacts, even in standarts.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
            Veteran
            • Jan 2009

As far back as 2.5.1, I don't remember ever having it squelch artifacts.
            “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”

Comment

• Pete Mack
              Prophet
              • Apr 2007

Squelch was added in 3.0.6

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                Veteran
                • Jan 2009

For kicks, or to relieve boredom more likely, I just read back through all the release notes for Angband versions on rephial. Nick, I must say, you've done an amazing amount of work in these past four years! Thank you!!!

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                  Veteran
                  • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Pete Mack
                  Squelch was added in 3.0.6
                  3.0.8, when you and Andrew Sidwell did TONS of fantastic work improving the game!

Comment

• Pete Mack
                    Prophet
                    • Apr 2007

Alas, so many changes happened *before* the game was refactored, so it is very hard to go back to tweak 3.0.x with just those changes that (say) Eddie Grove would like. Such are the wages of an engineering deficit.

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
                    3.0.8, when you and Andrew Sidwell did TONS of fantastic work improving the game!

Comment

• Voovus
                      Adept
                      • Feb 2018

Returned to Angband from a holiday elsewhere. Some comments for Nick on the new version:

1. New hunger mechanic. Sorry, no. I find it even more of a nuisance with the gorge effect.

2. Tunneling with shovel in inventory. Wonderful!

3. New damage rules. Interesting. This was the first time I ended up carrying a spare weapon. Normally I find it's too much of a hassle (+30% damage to dragons - meh), but now it felt that it was worth it (+200% damage to dragons - yes please!). Not convinced that the details are right, but it's going in the right direction.

4. New damage rules applied to ranged damage. Um. Needs work. Heavy Crossbow of Extra Might (x5) (+12,+18) <+1>, only does 29 damage/round with a normal bolt. Seems a bit pathetic. Maybe just double or triple all ranged damage?

5. Exp modifiers. Are High-Elf and Dunedain meant to be "easy" races, since they don't appear to get any exp penalty? Could cause difficulties for competitions.

6. This has probably been reported plenty of times, but there's still a bug with @ not stopping in time when running. For instance, my @ automatically moved onto a trap with 100% searching skill.

7. Please address the Rogue's thieving skill before 4.2. It was a lot of fun originally (though overpowered). Now it's basically worthless.

Comment

• mrfy
                        Swordsman
                        • Jul 2015

Originally posted by Voovus
                        Returned to Angband from a holiday elsewhere. Some comments for Nick on the new version:

1. New hunger mechanic. Sorry, no. I find it even more of a nuisance with the gorge effect.
                        I've grown to like it and it's even better with the latest changes. It's nice to know how much each kind of food will fill up @'s stomach.

Though I feel Satisfy Hunger should take you to more than 49%. After all the description says "Magically renders you well-fed (but not satiated)." How about it takes you to 66%?

Comment

• Nick
                          Vanilla maintainer
                          • Apr 2007

Is this the very latest version you're playing? It has changed a lot in the last couple of builds.

3. New damage rules. Interesting. This was the first time I ended up carrying a spare weapon. Normally I find it's too much of a hassle (+30% damage to dragons - meh), but now it felt that it was worth it (+200% damage to dragons - yes please!). Not convinced that the details are right, but it's going in the right direction.

4. New damage rules applied to ranged damage. Um. Needs work. Heavy Crossbow of Extra Might (x5) (+12,+18) <+1>, only does 29 damage/round with a normal bolt. Seems a bit pathetic. Maybe just double or triple all ranged damage?
                          If (as I suspect) this is about the new percentage damage birth option, then I agree - it's fun, but needs lots of work.

5. Exp modifiers. Are High-Elf and Dunedain meant to be "easy" races, since they don't appear to get any exp penalty? Could cause difficulties for competitions.
                          I initially wanted to remove all XP modifiers, but was talked in to (essentially) keeping them for humans. Maybe High Elves and Dunedain should get a bigger modifier. It just seems like such a lame mechanic to me. What do others think?

6. This has probably been reported plenty of times, but there's still a bug with @ not stopping in time when running. For instance, my @ automatically moved onto a trap with 100% searching skill.
                          Yep, that's still on my list of unfixed bugs. Is there any idea of when this tends to happen? Is it all the time?

7. Please address the Rogue's thieving skill before 4.2. It was a lot of fun originally (though overpowered). Now it's basically worthless.
                          What would you suggest? Is it just a matter of how difficult, or does it need some other dimension to it?
                          One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                          In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Nick
                            Vanilla maintainer
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by mrfy
                            Though I feel Satisfy Hunger should take you to more than 49%. After all the description says "Magically renders you well-fed (but not satiated)." How about it takes you to 66%?
                            Changing the description is an easier fix
                            One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                            In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• mrfy
                              Swordsman
                              • Jul 2015

Originally posted by Nick
                              Changing the description is an easier fix
                              Heh. So if Full is 90% and Hunger is 15%, then "well-fed (but not satiated)" should be 2/3rds, or 65%.

Comment

• Vorczar
                                Rookie
                                • Jul 2019

Crashing on Level Change

I started playing a necromancer with persistent levels and randarts twice now and have had the character crash when trying to go down or up levels, leaving me back at the beginning of that level. This is the latest nightly build windows version, and Angband.Live Sometimes taking a different stairs work, sometimes I'm stuck on a level or a deep descent works. At first I thought it was only unbuilt levels but it also crashed before trying to go back to town.

I don't remember which thread, but I think someone else posted this same issue a few weeks ago.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎