Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrfy
    Swordsman
    • Jul 2015

Just noticed, current high-elf ranger is 5'1" and 15 stone 5lb. That's quite short and beefy (fat). shouldn't they be tall and willowy?

Comment

• Pete Mack
      Prophet
      • Apr 2007

A quick web search finds Salgant of House Harp, an overweight elf.
      https://lotr.fandom.com/wiki/Salgant (Never mind the generic skinny-elf sketch)

He would make a good mid level unique, since he betrayed Numenor to Maeglin.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
        Veteran
        • Jan 2009

Another Ignoring Bug: I guess somewhere in the latest changes, a new ignoring bug was introduced. Ignoring a wooden torch, the only choices were: (a) this item only, or (b) all average lights. We lost ignore wooden torches. On purpose? I liked being able to ignore torches once @ had a lantern.
        “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
        ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Pete Mack
          Prophet
          • Apr 2007

You can still ignore torches through the knowledge menu. This is inconvenient as a one-at-a-time model, but if you want to ignore a whole lot of things* at once, it is better.

* Say, all priest books.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
            Veteran
            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Pete Mack
            You can still ignore torches through the knowledge menu. This is inconvenient as a one-at-a-time model, but if you want to ignore a whole lot of things* at once, it is better.

* Say, all priest books.
            Actually, not. A bog standard wooden torch is not an Ego item, so not in that menu, and while it is an "average" light, so is a lantern, so not in the Quality menu either. It's not inconvenient, it can't be done at all, at least until the bug is fixed or @ is in a position to ignore average lights.
            “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”

Comment

• Pete Mack
              Prophet
              • Apr 2007

Surely this still works:
              1. Open knowledge menu ('~a')
              2. Scroll down to Lights
              3. Open submenu with right-arrow or 6
              4. Toggle squelch with 's'

Just verified in 4.1.3

Comment

• wobbly
                Prophet
                • May 2012

Surely this still works:
                1. Open knowledge menu ('~a')
                2. Scroll down to Lights
                3. Open submenu with right-arrow or 6
                4. Toggle squelch with 's'

Just verified in 4.1.3
                This doesn't work in master. It works on other things but not lights.

Comment

• wobbly
                  Prophet
                  • May 2012

Is there a specific reason not to allow ignoring objects that can have egos by tval? At some point a warrior has enough str/dex & a good enough weapon to be ignoring all the weapons below a certain base dice for instance.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                    Prophet
                    • Apr 2007

I am impressed that this got broken. The knowledge menu should be robust to changes in types of object.

Originally posted by wobbly
                    This doesn't work in master. It works on other things but not lights.

Comment

• Nick
                      Vanilla maintainer
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
                      Another Ignoring Bug: I guess somewhere in the latest changes, a new ignoring bug was introduced. Ignoring a wooden torch, the only choices were: (a) this item only, or (b) all average lights. We lost ignore wooden torches. On purpose? I liked being able to ignore torches once @ had a lantern.
                      This was a deliberate change, but maybe requires some more thought.

The issue is that now torches and lanterns can potentially be ego-items or (if you're playing with randarts) artifacts. So ignoring all torches was ignoring artifacts sometimes.

I guess the thing to do is to bring lights back into the "ignore by type" menu but put a special case in to avoid ignoring artifacts - does that sound correct?
                      One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                      In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                        Veteran
                        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Nick
                        This was a deliberate change, but maybe requires some more thought.

The issue is that now torches and lanterns can potentially be ego-items or (if you're playing with randarts) artifacts. So ignoring all torches was ignoring artifacts sometimes.

I guess the thing to do is to bring lights back into the "ignore by type" menu but put a special case in to avoid ignoring artifacts - does that sound correct?
                        You may need to have to separate ignoring menus, one for torches one for lanterns. I think you need to be able to ignore average torches without ignoring average lanterns. Then all should work the same as the other categories. No Ignore, Bad, Average, Good, Non-Artifact. As well as the Ego ignore by types of ego lights.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                          Prophet
                          • Apr 2007

Nick-
                          Using the knowledge menu for ignore has *always* killed possible artifacts. (Ignore daggers, and you won't find any *thancs.) I am perplexed why torches deserve special treatment.

Comment

• Nick
                            Vanilla maintainer
                            • Apr 2007

Nick-
                            Using the knowledge menu for ignore has *always* killed possible artifacts. (Ignore daggers, and you won't find any *thancs.) I am perplexed why torches deserve special treatment.
                            As far as I'm aware, you can't ignore daggers - you can only ignore object kinds which appear somewhere in the main ignore menu (before the quality and ego menus).

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                              Veteran
                              • Jan 2009

Nick-
                              you can't ignore artifacts. The highest level of ignore is everything except artifacts. (apart from an artifactless birth option, if I recall).

Comment

• Nick
                                Vanilla maintainer
                                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
                                you can't ignore artifacts. The highest level of ignore is everything except artifacts. (apart from an artifactless birth option, if I recall).
                                Yeah, I just noticed that too - which means I just fixed a bug that didn't exist. Will revert

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎