Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gglibertine
    Adept
    • Dec 2007

Is inability to enchant artifact armour an intentional thing? I'm on 4.1.3-465-g2a840212b still (so as not to corrupt my savefile) and while I've been able to enchant artifact weapons, armour fails every time. It *could* be coincidence, but I've tried a LOT, given that all my armour is artifacts, and it's failed a couple of dozen times at least, including with *Enchant Armour*.

Comment

• Derakon
      Prophet
      • Dec 2009

Chance to successfully enchant depends on how enchanted the item is already. It's flat-out impossible to enchant anything above +15, and it's pretty hard to get above +10. Most artifact armors have AC bonuses well above +10.

If I recall correctly, artifacts also have some degree of "enchantment resistance" that makes them additionally harder to improve, presumably to counterbalance their innate resistance to being disenchanted.

Comment

• gglibertine
        Adept
        • Dec 2007

Ah, interesting. I didn't know they resisted disenchantment! I must've used up a couple of dozen scrolls of Enchant Armour on a +9 artifact cloak, though. I know you can't get above +15, but I've managed to get above +10 with things if I'm persistent enough in the past. This time, though, absolutely NONE of my artifact armour has taken an enchantment, whereas the weapons have, so I started to wonder if there might be a bug.

Comment

• wobbly
          Prophet
          • May 2012

It's a flat 50% fail chance for an artifact & I think 30% chance for +9. It's this table anyway, & chance is out of 1000

Code:
          static const int enchant_table[16] =
          {
          	0, 10,  20, 40, 80,
          	160, 280, 400, 550, 700,
          	800, 900, 950, 970, 990,
          };
          Sounds like you got a little unlucky, but not extremely so.

Comment

• wobbly
            Prophet
            • May 2012

The rate you get hungry at with regen seems crazy & I barely use the rest command (190 rest turns by dlvl 37). While it's nice that slow digestion has a use, I think this is currently over the top. Certainly I wouldn't want to play iron man with it like how it is now.

Comment

• Nick
              Vanilla maintainer
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by wobbly
              The rate you get hungry at with regen seems crazy & I barely use the rest command (190 rest turns by dlvl 37). While it's nice that slow digestion has a use, I think this is currently over the top. Certainly I wouldn't want to play iron man with it like how it is now.
              OK, I see what the problem is. I have reduced the size of the food meter from 17500 to 10000, and halved the rate of digestion, which looks like you need less food; but the effective size of the meter (above hungry and below slowing starting) has gone from 15000 to 6000. I will make some adjustments.
              One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
              In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                Veteran
                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Nick
                OK, I see what the problem is. I have reduced the size of the food meter from 17500 to 10000, and halved the rate of digestion, which looks like you need less food; but the effective size of the meter (above hungry and below slowing starting) has gone from 15000 to 6000. I will make some adjustments.
                So, I wasn't just crazy?
                “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
                ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Nick
                  Vanilla maintainer
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
                  So, I wasn't just crazy?
                  It would seem not. Changes in development move the top of "Hungry" down to 15%, and the bottom of "Full" up to 90%, which means the good range should last the same number of turns as before now. I've also made food descriptions include percentage as well as turns.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                    Veteran
                    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Nick
                    It would seem not....
                    Gotta love Nick, always the statesman and only going to say that I don't "seem" crazy. Reminds me of a Robert E. Howard quote from a "Conan" novel that I remember reading as a kid, "Those who are sane believe there is a great difference between illusion and reality-- those who are mad know that this is simply not true."
                    “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”

Comment

• Nick
                      Vanilla maintainer
                      • Apr 2007

Gotta love Nick, always the statesman and only going to say that I don't "seem" crazy. Reminds me of a Robert E. Howard quote from a "Conan" novel that I remember reading as a kid, "Those who are sane believe there is a great difference between illusion and reality-- those who are mad know that this is simply not true."
                      I'm just glad someone's paying attention

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                        Veteran
                        • Jan 2009

"Ignoring" bug: shining dragon scale mail can only be ignored "this item only"

Comment

• Nick
                          Vanilla maintainer
                          • Apr 2007

"Ignoring" bug: shining dragon scale mail can only be ignored "this item only"
                          Thanks, fixed in development.

Comment

• Nick
                            Vanilla maintainer
                            • Apr 2007

New builds up on the nightlies page and angband.live with the following changes:
                            • Use correct number of blows in deciding whether to attempt a shield bash (thanks PowerWyrm)
                            • Expand the useful section of the food range so that it is essentially the same as before
                            • Adjust effects at the top and bottom of the food range to be cleaner and more robust to changes in the data file
                            • Fix message order in shapechanges (ticket #2114)
                            • Add percentages to food value descriptions
                            • Stopped Drop All on the item menu from needing confirmation (request from Clearshade)
                            • Allow the 8th window in the SDL2 port to be opened without causing a crash (thanks EducatedNoob)
                            • Add reference to Once's Windows console compilation instructions to Makefile.win (actual instructions are here)
                            • Fix bug stopping rune of protection being cast on squares containing an object (thanks Ingwe)
                            • Fix ignore for Shining DSM (Ingwe again)
                            • Make stores always accept items with unknown runes in no-selling (#2080)
                            • Stop light being ignorable from the tval menu - makes no sense now that there are ego and artifact torches and lanterns (#2119)
                            • Drop ignored stolen items immediately, avoiding possible drop of something useful (#2126)

I'm pretty happy with food now, but let me know if there are more issues.

Comment

• gglibertine
                              Adept
                              • Dec 2007

Just noticed that Protection from Fear isn't flagged in the character info, even when wearing items that say they provide it. This is still a few builds back, 4.1.3-465-g2a840212b, but I don't remember seeing anything about it the last couple of weeks.

Comment

• ClaytonAguiar
                                Scout
                                • May 2009

Is the dungeon map as a spoiler?

Hi,

Some pages ago, Nick told that giving any hint about poisoining status could "spoil" the gameplay. Don't you think the full map, as implemented now, also contains a spoiler?

When you press M, it gets very easy to see the approximate size of the dungeon. I know we don't have those huge levels anymore (unless we tweak some txt files), but they still vary in size.

Why don't use, for the M command, the same idea of Fallout (3, New Vegas and 4), "scaling" the full map? This would work even for those that edit parameter files to generate larger dungeons. Initially, pressing M would assume we are in a small dungeon, stretching its boundaries as we explore it...
                                Last edited by ClaytonAguiar; July 1, 2019, 21:51.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎