X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ingwe Ingweron
    Veteran
    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Nick
    I kind of think no. To me rings of digging are a small quality of life improvement for when you have nothing better for the ring slot, and the main means of digging should be a digging tool. That's actually part of what's behind this - encouraging players to use a digging tool instead of their weapon.

What do others think?
    I tend to use rings of digging more often than diggers, they are lighter to carry for the relatively rare use of digging. I use a inscription/keymap swap system for them though, so don't really need any programming changes that would only save me an incredibly minor number of keystrokes.
    “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
    ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Nick
      Vanilla maintainer
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by wobbly
      Was the change that made TO-ing sleeping monsters not wake them intentional? I assume it happened when you made sleep monster not wake things, it's been there for a while I've just never been sure whether it was a bug or deliberate.
      I think you're right about when it changed, and it feels to me like they ought to wake up. Probably there needs to be some thought about what effects do wake monsters.

Originally posted by Diego Gonzalez
      It seems odd to me that a blackguard gets 1.6 initial blows with a dagger, while a rogue gets 3. Shield bashes compensate this in the early game?
      Just a consequence of the fact that rogues get +3 DEX. Also it seems OK thematically - blackguards starting out strong but clumsy seems right.
      One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
      In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• wobbly
        Prophet
        • May 2012

It's not just the dex. Minimum weight 100, nothing faster then a 10lber. My kobold put 6 in str/dex and has 1 blow. Maxing str/dex would be 1.3. I find it painful as is.

Comment

• Diego Gonzalez
          Adept
          • May 2007

Just a consequence of the fact that rogues get +3 DEX. Also it seems OK thematically - blackguards starting out strong but clumsy seems right.
          Thanks! I will try some more this class. I saw some winner posts in the ladder and I'm eager to see if they can tank.

Comment

• Gwarl
            Administrator
            • Jan 2017

I was planning to just have a digger slot the way the frog-knows release note suggest.

Comment

• Nick
              Vanilla maintainer
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Gwarl
              I was planning to just have a digger slot the way the frog-knows release note suggest.
              I didn't go that way because of not wanting diggers to be used as stat sticks.

Comment

• takkaria
                Veteran
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Gwarl
                Frog-knows didn't have a launcher slot, though, it just had a secondary weapon slot. (This was changed in 2.7.4.)
                takkaria whispers something about options. -more-

Comment

• Derakon
                  Prophet
                  • Dec 2009

I didn't go that way because of not wanting diggers to be used as stat sticks.
                  Thank you.

Comment

• wobbly
                    Prophet
                    • May 2012

Clearly the digger needs to go into the shooter slot, perhaps a r _ _ k _ t l _ _ n _ _ e r.

Comment

• Nick
                      Vanilla maintainer
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Diego Gonzalez
                      It seems odd to me that a blackguard gets 1.6 initial blows with a dagger, while a rogue gets 3. Shield bashes compensate this in the early game?
                      In fact, my previous answer wasn't the whole story. Blackguards also have a minimum effective weapon weight of 10 - so they get the same number of blows for any weapon of weight 10 or less (for other classes this value is between 2 and 4).

Again this is deliberate, and I only designed it a little while ago but had apparently forgotten. I must be getting old.

EDIT: I'm ignoring the previous comment.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                        Prophet
                        • Apr 2007

This, certainly.

Originally posted by wobbly
                        Clearly the digger needs to go into the shooter slot, perhaps a r _ _ k _ t l _ _ n _ _ e r.

Comment

• Nick
                          Vanilla maintainer
                          • Apr 2007

New builds are now up on the nightlies page and angband.live with the following changes:
                          • Fix to lighting so that necromancers can see properly
                          • Another fix to lighting so that the outside of the walls of lit rooms no longer light up
                          • !Lose Memories has been replaced with a more interesting potion
                          • Fix to make monster and item list behaviour more consistent (thanks fruviad)
                          • Simplified format of window.prf (the file that saves subwindow setup)
                          • Added some needed break statements highlighted by compiler warnings after I upgraded my development VM, potentially fixing some bugs
                          • Improved character history editing, probably removing the crashes found by Vivit
                          • Made spell browsing tips clear properly when using large tiles (thanks Carg)

I believe lighting is now all working as intended - let me know if any more weirdness turns up.

Comment

• Sphara
                            Knight
                            • Oct 2016

So light is now mandatory for necromancer just like for everyone else?

I started yet another necromancer game in angband.live and the guy cannot read or cast without light

Comment

• Nick
                              Vanilla maintainer
                              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Sphara
                              So light is now mandatory for necromancer just like for everyone else?

I started yet another necromancer game in angband.live and the guy cannot read or cast without light
                              *SIGH*

Looks like I've broken that again. Will update as soon as it's fixed

EDIT: Fixes (to not being able to spellcast, and also necro wall lighting still not being quite right) done and pushed; angband.live is updated, nightlies page should update shortly.
                              Last edited by Nick; June 10, 2019, 13:35. Reason: Reporting for duty, sir!

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                                Veteran
                                • Jan 2009

Nick, did you recently make a change to targeting commands? It used to be that once in (*) targeting mode, the command (p) would center the target on @ and allow me to move it from there, but that no longer works as of at least today. The command (o) center on object still works, though it's a pain to have to move the cursor a lot farther. I did like the option of either.
                                “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
                                ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎