• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Thraalbee
    For Blackguard, three suggestions

1) rather than nerf melee, how about starting at -1 for regen (as when using e.g. =OpenWounds) and with regen item only get normal regen (same as other characters default)
    2) reduce chance to stun high level monsters and uniques
    3) at level 35 or 40, permanent Hero and Berserk. As it is now you can cycle through your mana a few times and cast them. They will stay a long time...
    [edit] 4) Powerful blow now works as poor man's stone-to-mud. The thrown monster will break one wall tile unless it is permanent. Not sure this is reasonable.
    1 is a great idea, and 2 is I think necessary.

3, I'm not so sure - it might be better to make it so that casts don't stack as well.

4 is awesome emergent gameplay
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Pete Mack
      Prophet
      • Apr 2007

1 is mostly just annoying. In a serious fight, regen doesn't matter. So you will have to rest more between fights. This is probably not good gameplay.

Comment

• Thraalbee
        Knight
        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Pete Mack
        1 is mostly just annoying. In a serious fight, regen doesn't matter. So you will have to rest more between fights. This is probably not good gameplay.
        My experimental class has zero regen. That works better that you'd think. Makes all melee expensive. Blackguard needs a brake, I believe nerf regen would work

Comment

• Ighalli
          Scout
          • Oct 2017

I've put up a PR to fix item recharging in the magic branch, and another PR on top of that which shows the odds for recharge attempts.

a Wand of Confuse Monster (8 charges)
          Can be destroyed by lightning.

When aimed, it creates a bolt which attempts to confuse monsters.
          Your chance of success is 96.8%
          Your chance of recharging it with the scroll is 75.0%
          Your chance of recharging it with the spell is 96.0%

The spell line doesn't show if you're not an arcane caster.

Edit: On the topic of bugs, I found this description:

the Cloak 'Colannon' [1,+15] <+2>
          Found lying on the floor in a vault at 2650 feet (level 53)

A crystal-blue cape of fine silk worn by a silent messenger of the forces of
          Law. Seldom will its wearer be diverted from his mission.

+2 stealth.
          +2 speed.
          Provides resistance to nexus.
          Cannot be harmed by acid, fire.

When activated, it teleports you randomly about 60211203770f the largest
          distance you could go.
          Takes 144 turns to recharge at your current speed.
          Your chance of success is 97.1%
          Last edited by Ighalli; April 3, 2018, 01:01.

Comment

• Sky
            Veteran
            • Oct 2016

could someone kindly link me to a build which has the blackguard? it seems again the latest build isn't the latest build.
            "i can take this dracolich"

Comment

• Nick
              Vanilla maintainer
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Sky
              could someone kindly link me to a build which has the blackguard? it seems again the latest build isn't the latest build.
              The most recent builds are linked in this post.

Comment

• Sky
                Veteran
                • Oct 2016

well, that list is still doing that thing where the latest by date is not the latest, but rather i have to go by build number.

Also, i'm now playing angband-4.1.2-166-g82f0a45 (blackguard) and i'm having some rather massive lag / framerate drop / stutter which i've never had before.

Comment

• mrfy
                  Swordsman
                  • Jul 2015

Originally posted by Sky
                  well, that list is still doing that thing where the latest by date is not the latest, but rather i have to go by build number.

Also, i'm now playing angband-4.1.2-166-g82f0a45 (blackguard) and i'm having some rather massive lag / framerate drop / stutter which i've never had before.
                  I'm not using tiles, just ascii, and I'm also seeing some noticeable lag, esp when there are a good number of monsters on the level. I'm using Angband-osx-4.1.2-168-gaa672ce.dmg (which is a later version than yours, Sky, so you might want to upgrade).

Comment

• Nick
                    Vanilla maintainer
                    • Apr 2007

Yeah, slowdown seems to be a thing. I'll have a good look when I've finished playing the comp

Comment

• Sky
                      Veteran
                      • Oct 2016

well, the slowdowns are so intense that i cannot really play anymore.

however, here is an observation from playing blackguard, from someone who plays with selling enabled; due to the new way the books are structured, i'm absolutely swamped with dungeon book drops. this translates to an enormous amount of money at a much lower level then usual. for example, at around DL30-35, instead of grinding for the occasional chain mail of resistance drop, i would regularly clear half a level and make away with 2-3 books, at least 6000 gold each, often 10k or 20k each.
                      on one occasion i cleared 100k of dungeon books in one recall.

Comment

• Thraalbee
                        Knight
                        • Sep 2010

I had slowdowns too but they were gone after a reboot. Win10

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                          Veteran
                          • Jan 2009

Nick, a request, please order the spellbooks for purposes of ignoring. Prior to the feature branch, they were ordered, e.g., kelek's last. With the new classes, level feelings are set off as "superb" by books lower on the list for the class, even though a higher book does not, indicating a mis-ordering (or a mis-valuing) of the books. Not sure I'm expressing it very clearly, but I've been up late with insomnia.
                          “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
                          ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                            Veteran
                            • Jan 2009

So, it appears monsters are now immune from a stave of banishment if they are in a vault? It would be nice if the description for the stave and scroll would reflect that information. I also think this change kind of sucks.
                            “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”

Comment

• PowerWyrm
                              Prophet
                              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
                              So, it appears monsters are now immune from a stave of banishment if they are in a vault? It would be nice if the description for the stave and scroll would reflect that information. I also think this change kind of sucks.
                              They're not immune from luring out of the vault then banishing though...
                              PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                                Veteran
                                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by PowerWyrm
                                They're not immune from luring out of the vault then banishing though...
                                Yeah, it still sucks. Screwing around with Q's and Z's and v's in a vault (or apparently even "special" rooms that don't have permanent walls, so hard to tell it is a "vault". Sucks, sucks, sucks.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎