X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Derakon
    Prophet
    • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Grotug
    I don't play randarts... yet (still enjoying standarts too much to feel the need to make the switch just yet ). But what's the reasoning for wanting to get rid of extra shots/blows/might? These are good things for the game.
    Direct damage bonuses that aren't tied to your weapon are very hard to balance correctly. The power of a pair of gloves with +1 blows is effectively a percentage boost to the damage of whatever the strongest weapon you find is, which is potentially very powerful indeed...and potentially not that great if you have bad luck with weapons. Ditto with extra might. Extra shots is just a bad idea in general because of how huge the multiplier is.

Weapons and launchers could still get generated with extra blows/might "directly" on them, because then you can only get the bonus if you're using that weapon/launcher. That's a lot easier to balance; a dagger with +1 blows has a pretty tightly constrained power.

Comment

• Sky
      Veteran
      • Oct 2016

Well the game recently was nice enough to generate a bladeturner with +2 blows, and not *A* single big die weapon, to balance it out.
      In another, i found a weapon with 5d8 base, no slays, no brands, no activation, (+6,+8) and resist fear.whoppitydo.
      "i can take this dracolich"

Comment

• Pete Mack
        Prophet
        • Apr 2007

Nick--extra shots and blows are fine. Just limit the maximum effective multiplier* to 8 or so (lower for bows), and things are fine.

*. (Base+might)*blows

Comment

• Azuria
          Rookie
          • Apr 2016

I play randarts because I like not knowing what kind of stuff I'm going to have to work with.
          I think the current randarts are fine, although the occasional one that gives +9 to a stat is a bit wierd (Playing nightlies, Dec 30 atm).
          My biggest problem with the randarts is that high stat bonuses are much more common, with +4 or +5 being commonplace, meaning that its almost too easy to maximise all of the relevant stats.
          I think that speed should be fairly evenly distributed between the different randart types, such that if you find a nice set of boots that don't give speed, you don't feel like you'll have to use a different pair of boots to get enough.
          Cloning Nightwalkers for XP
          Originally posted by Pete Mack
          Better to be down a point in INT than be suffering under 300HP at dl 70.
          I should probably take note of this.

Comment

• AnonymousHero
            Veteran
            • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Nick
            [*]Some tweaking of the current artifact set (along the lines of PowerWyrm's thinking)
            I think it might be interesting to explore a) having no option to choose between randarts and standarts, and b) allowing both full sets, and c) significantly weakening the standarts. (Though I suspect it would be very controversial.)

I hypothesize that this should make it a bit less frustrating to cover everything you need, but still give varied and interesting gameplay via interesting choices (assuming limits on inventory/home).

Originally posted by Nick
            [*]Remove off-type slays, brands, extra might, extra shots and extra blows[/LIST]
            I don't really understand the desire to do this. AFAICT these things are so rare in practice that they are not a problem in any way.

(If you see a lot of it on the ladder, then that just people people tend to post characters that win... and characters that find these types of items tend to win. Plus there's an option to retain randart sets between games, so it's pretty feasible to scum and just play with that set. Must be a least some players who do that. Honestly, I've never understood why that option is there -- unless it's for debugging... in which case, just let players *specify* the seed -- no need to go through the clumsy option system.)

Comment

• Pete Mack
              Prophet
              • Apr 2007

@Azura-- while I'm flattered by the quote, I wish it weren't quite so prominently displayed. Your sig is confusing because it looks too much like part of the thread.

Comment

• dos350
                Knight
                • Sep 2010

after my first win i always played randarts,

my second win was randart priest in like 3.4

now i havnt won since but i think randart are quite fun as they are
                ~eek

Reality hits you -more-

S+++++++++++++++++++

Comment

• Nomad
                  Knight
                  • Sep 2010

Originally posted by AnonymousHero
                  Plus there's an option to retain randart sets between games, so it's pretty feasible to scum and just play with that set. Must be a least some players who do that. Honestly, I've never understood why that option is there -- unless it's for debugging... in which case, just let players *specify* the seed -- no need to go through the clumsy option system.
                  Actually, you've reminded me of one tiny thing I would change about randarts - it's annoying that this "keep previous set of randarts" game option defaults to switched on and I have to remember to toggle it off every time I start a new savefile. Having the same set of artefacts recur game to game is the complete opposite of what I play with randarts for. (I too wouldn't miss the option if it was gone, but at the very least I think it should be switched off by default.)

Comment

• Sky
                    Veteran
                    • Oct 2016

@AnonymousHero

Create a new game of randarts, suicide and create a spoiler list. Go through the list, ignore BT, ringil, DW, etc.

Look at the rest. I guarantee you will find at least 1 ridiculosly broken item.

My best stat item was boots +7 spd, +7 int.
                    Right now im rocking an amulet +3 spd con dex str int wis rDis (+2,+2).
                    "i can take this dracolich"

Comment

• AnonymousHero
                      Veteran
                      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Sky
                      @AnonymousHero

Create a new game of randarts, suicide and create a spoiler list. Go through the list, ignore BT, ringil, DW, etc.

Look at the rest. I guarantee you will find at least 1 ridiculosly broken item.
                      I've done this thousands of times at this point and it isn't true.

(I was trying to see how broken a kit you could get for Ranger and Priest.)

Originally posted by Sky
                      If you were playing a Mage, sure. For all other classes (except perhaps Rogue, I guess) it's "junk" compared to an ego +10 speed boots.

Comment

• AnonymousHero
                        Veteran
                        • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Nomad
                        Actually, you've reminded me of one tiny thing I would change about randarts - it's annoying that this "keep previous set of randarts" game option defaults to switched on and I have to remember to toggle it off every time I start a new savefile. Having the same set of artefacts recur game to game is the complete opposite of what I play with randarts for. (I too wouldn't miss the option if it was gone, but at the very least I think it should be switched off by default.)
                        Agreed. It's a strange default at the very least.

Comment

• PowerWyrm
                          Prophet
                          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Sky
                          This is clearly a bug, randarts with stats should be limited to +6.
                          PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• bio_hazard
                            Knight
                            • Dec 2008

OK- I've got a suggestion. Show the base item for Randarts in game without having to go to spoilers. I can't think of any reason not to do this.

Comment

• StMicah
                              Adept
                              • Feb 2015

If the artifact lights are fully randomized, would the activations tied to those (e.g. enlightenment) be generated on other randarts equipment? If so, I kinda like that idea...less reliance on enlightenment because it would likely be bound to an item @ outgrows or to a junk item...and the redbook characters now have a mapping spell.

(But, perhaps, my liking this idea is because I grew bored with the overpowered Arkenstone that showed up in the nightlies a while back.)

Comment

• Nick
                                Vanilla maintainer
                                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by StMicah
                                If the artifact lights are fully randomized, would the activations tied to those (e.g. enlightenment) be generated on other randarts equipment?
                                Probably not.

What happens at the moment is that the special artifacts (lights, rings and amulets) have all their current properties wiped - except light activations - and then new properties put on. This means that there are always the same number of rings, amulets and lights in the game, with the same base item names. If instead we just make all randarts in the way the rest are made - choose a base item, turn it into an artifact - there would be no particular reason to get the light activations.

Incidentally, it's not completely obvious how this process should go. I have experimented with just doing the dumbest possible thing, and allowing rings, lights and amulets as base items. So there are artifacts based on existing rings - and moreover using their names, and remember that the names of rings and amulets are things like Sustenance, the Dog, etc. So you get some great sounding names, like
                                Code:
                                the Flames of Brenimros [+6], and
                                the Open Wounds of Faelona [+7] <+4, +1>
                                but also some less good ones like
                                Code:
                                the Slow Digestion of Losgarcar <+3, +5, +1>
                                There is still work to be done here
                                One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                                In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎