X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ingwe Ingweron
    Veteran
    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by bio_hazard
    Ugh- lost my last promising hobbit mage last night. ~DL 44 or so.
    Sorry about your loss. As I recall, hobbit mage was a tough combination.
    “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
    ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• bio_hazard
      Knight
      • Dec 2008

Seems like it would be a reasonably good race. High stealth, +'s in Int and con, and decent device modifier. mushroom id is not very useful, but hold-life isn't bad (compare with gnome- innate free action is useful up until the mid game at which point you are almost guaranteed to have equipment covering FA, plus as a mage you are often stuck with FA gloves for a long time anyway). Strength and hit die just one worse than gnome.

Comment

• brbrbr
        Adept
        • Sep 2015

Didn't notice it coming back down the long corridor
        In moments like that I really wish I had a wand of Mud to Stone

Comment

• bio_hazard
          Knight
          • Dec 2008

That's a good point- I could have avoided that by mcc'ing a small anti-summoning corridor and resting there.

To be honest I'm not sure whether I got "double-moved" but it's possible. I think I was at base +8 so it is possible it moved within Telepathy range then breathed before I had a chance to react. Much more likely I didn't notice right away, or the resting didn't interrupt when the B approached.

Comment

• Estie
            Veteran
            • Apr 2008

Ugh- lost my last promising hobbit mage last night. ~DL 44 or so. I was getting a pretty good kit together- swaps for rblind and rconf, telepathy, decent speed, and Con was starting hit the good part of the curve. No dungeon books in the dungeon, but I'd actually managed to buy Resistances and Raal's in the black market!

I was working a small vault- I TOed a Winged Horror, and left the vault to rest so I didn't wake up Kavlax or Smaug. Didn't notice it coming back down the long corridor- no rNether and I was done in one breath with -11hp.
            Thats a typical diver´s death. Sometimes I cast light down the corridors before resting; it is by no means a failsafe measure, but has saved me once in a while.

Comment

• Derakon
              Prophet
              • Dec 2009

That's a good point- I could have avoided that by mcc'ing a small anti-summoning corridor and resting there.

To be honest I'm not sure whether I got "double-moved" but it's possible. I think I was at base +8 so it is possible it moved within Telepathy range then breathed before I had a chance to react. Much more likely I didn't notice right away, or the resting didn't interrupt when the B approached.
              Isn't vision range slightly longer than spell/breath range for precisely this kind of reason?

Comment

• Estie
                Veteran
                • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Derakon
                Isn't vision range slightly longer than spell/breath range for precisely this kind of reason?
                I suspect it was a case of elongated hockey stick, where the B had LOS but the @ didnt.

Comment

• bio_hazard
                  Knight
                  • Dec 2008

/\/\//\No- it was a dead-straight corridor.

I'm not sure- it was a dark corridor so I may not have actually seen it

Lighting corridor probably a good idea.

Comment

• brbrbr
                    Adept
                    • Sep 2015

/\/\//\No- it was a dead-straight corridor.

I'm not sure- it was a dark corridor so I may not have actually seen it

Lighting corridor probably a good idea.
                    Been there, done that.
                    One of my characters was killed by awaken and teleported Barlog, who was at the other end of very, very, very, very long corridor.
                    I made it a point to always rest in "knight move"/"hockey stick" position. Never rest in corridors.

What else you could do? Maybe memorize every insta-killer you teleported. There is always a chance they will come back. And even higher chance that you will teleport yourself next to them.

Comment

• brbrbr
                      Adept
                      • Sep 2015

My Dunedan Mage goes very strong!!!
                      I am at dl75, and the game is fun and quick. I like it.

Question: how mage should deals with summoners?
                      I am facing now Mouth of Sauron, Vampire messenger, Saruman...
                      If I make anti-summoning zig-zag corridor, I would need to go melee.
                      Mage is not good at melee. Magic Shield gives +50 AC, but is it enough? Totila does about 150 damage... I anticipate I would need to use lot of healing potions if I melee, sounds like waste.
                      Last edited by brbrbr; December 3, 2015, 12:55.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                        Veteran
                        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by brbrbr
                        My Dunedan Mage goes very strong!!!
                        I am at dl75, and the game is fun and quick. I like it.

Mage is not good at melee. Magic Shield gives +50 AC, but is it enough? Totila does about 150 damage... I anticipate I would need to use lot of healing potions if I melee, sounds like waste.
                        Avoid the battle! TO them and move on until @ is more powerful.
                        “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
                        ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                          Prophet
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
                          Avoid the battle! TO them and move on until @ is more powerful.
                          150 from Totila is far too little to melee any of those. Priest could perhaps out-last them by standing on rune and healing every time needed, but mage needs bigger guns to survive bigger battles.

Comment

• Estie
                            Veteran
                            • Apr 2008

That is the tough part for mages: damage is hard to find at that point; ideally, you find Kelek´s and plunder vaults by means of banishment. To kill those uniques, you need either better melee or more experience to be able to cast the good spells, both are best come by from vaults (better items, stat potions, xp potions).

Lacking Kelek`s, its teleport other orgy.

Comment

• Werbaer
                              Adept
                              • Aug 2014

Originally posted by brbrbr
                              My mages never use melee.
                              I usually kill uniques in a looooong straight corridor to limit summoning options. Then i use Explosion / Meteor Swarm / Mana Storm to kill it. When damaged, i create doors, heal with cheap potions unitl the opponent opens the door, then phase away.
                              Since you're at dlev 75, i assume you're strong enough to kill Saruman this way; i avoid (teleport away) monsters with strong range attacks (for example the Mouth) until i have high hit points and hopefully the last book.

Comment

• wobbly
                                Prophet
                                • May 2012

Saurman also hits for disenchant. If you're not going to blast him with spells you're probably better of using a shooter with slay evil arrows or emptying a staff of holiness on him and recharging then meleeing. I'd honesty wait til you can blast him with spells.

Have you tried separating him from his summons with TO?
                                Last edited by wobbly; December 3, 2015, 15:26.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎