Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Estie
    Veteran
    • Apr 2008

There are a few simple rules to obey when creating rpgs. Nexus swap breaks at least 2 of them:

1. there shall be no worse penalty than death
    2. the risk shall match the reward

I dont like the nexus swap mechanic aestetically, but thats not really the issue is it. I ask that, rather than having my toon ruined beyond recognition, to an extent where starting a new character is the quicker way to kill Morgoth, I be given a merciful death in form of a 1-hit nuke.

If nexus vortex can ruin my character, it should give appropriate reward, xp/treasure to match. Actually doing that would lead to horrible gameplay where players start cloning pink v-s, but why exactly do you want a silly, common monster to be more dangerous than an epic ancient dragon ?

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
      Veteran
      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Estie
      If nexus vortex can ruin my character, it should give appropriate reward, xp/treasure to match. Actually doing that would lead to horrible gameplay where players start cloning pink v-s, but why exactly do you want a silly, common monster to be more dangerous than an epic ancient dragon ?
      Ah, the light bulb finally goes on in my brain. All this time I've been thinking about those very dangerous nexus hounds, which I put on a par with gravity hounds until @ get's rNexus. Didn't even think about the pesky nexus vortex.

If my @ gets scrambled by nexus hounds, it serves me right. But from the lower level appearing nexus vortex, yeah, I'd be pissed off about that.
      “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
      ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Derakon
        Prophet
        • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
        How many logical fallacies, presumptions, and assumptions are in that reasoning?! Your OPINION is that nexus swap is a dumb mechanic, makes the game not fun to play, and that only a very few people disagree with that opinion.

Well, without a survey I'm not sure how you have made so many assumptions and conclusions. While I usually agree with you, Derakon, on this one I am on the other side. I think nexus swap is just fine as it is.
        Hey, take it easy. I'm not (trying to) attack anyone here. Like you said, I'm stating my opinion, and you're also free to state your opinion. Enough people state their opinions, and we get a general idea of what people think about a given idea and thus whether or not it should be changed. My arguments aren't meant to be logically rigorous, but rather explain why I think something is a good or bad idea.

What do you like about nexus stat swaps? Just that they're uncommonly lethal?

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
          Veteran
          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Derakon
          Hey, take it easy. I'm not (trying to) attack anyone here. Like you said, I'm stating my opinion, and you're also free to state your opinion. Enough people state their opinions, and we get a general idea of what people think about a given idea and thus whether or not it should be changed. My arguments aren't meant to be logically rigorous, but rather explain why I think something is a good or bad idea.

What do you like about nexus stat swaps? Just that they're uncommonly lethal?
          Sorry, I didn't mean it to be going after you or anything like that. Just didn't like it sounding like a fait accompli before there actually was any consensus.

What do I like about the swaps? Yes, that they are a lethal danger, but with low odds of occurring (much like the roulette when facing Kavlax). Not that I like them. I don't like gravity hounds, aether hounds, nether hounds, ethereal hounds.... but, I don't want to get rid of them. The hound packs have already been reduced enough, in my opinion, as to make these dangers manageable. I think the nexus swap danger from nexus hounds is just that, a manageable danger. Estie highlighted the problem when the swap happens due to a nexus vortex. What level do those start appearing? I was thinking of nexus hounds. However, the nexus vortex, that might be a different story.
          “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
          ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• luneya
            Swordsman
            • Aug 2015

The stat swap that triggered this conversation was caused by a vortex. I didn't take note of exactly where it happened, but it must have been a dungeon level in the upper thirties, since that character's death occurred at DL 41. This is exactly the point of the game where characters tend to be minmaxed the worst, and thus suffer worst from a stat-swap. Perhaps the simplest patch on the problem is to simply make it that nexus vortex attacks never cause stat swap? Any character not mostly through the stat-gain phase who fails to run away from nexus breathers worse than a vortex deserves what he gets.

Comment

• bio_hazard
              Knight
              • Dec 2008

I don't know if this would totally solve the problem (if there is one), but what if nexus attacks stacked kind of like stun

First attack can only randomly teleport
              You get the UNSTABLE status for X turns (probably long)
              If hit again while UNSTABLE, then worse effects ( stat swap) are possible.

Question- would it be interesting if nexus could search your inventory and swap equipment? Would be really interesting if you were carrying something with aggravate. Or would this be just a pain if your speed ring or rPois ring were removed at the wrong time and you forgot to check your current resists.

Comment

• Derakon
                Prophet
                • Dec 2009

Originally posted by bio_hazard
                Question- would it be interesting if nexus could search your inventory and swap equipment? Would be really interesting if you were carrying something with aggravate. Or would this be just a pain if your speed ring or rPois ring were removed at the wrong time and you forgot to check your current resists.
                There's too much potential for screwing over the player here. I can't carry any item that goes in the same slot as the gear that provides my only source of FA, say, for fear of spontaneously losing that ability.

Comment

• Monkey Face
                  Adept
                  • Feb 2009

In my current character (Dunadan Mage) I was nexus swapped STR for WIS. Not quite as bad as INT for WIS but it made a Quarterstaff too heavy to wield (not that I stopped wielding Nar-i-vagil given the +4 INT, it just meant that melee was even less likely to happen) and it cancelled out all of the speed bonuses I had acquired. However, I didn't give up and now I'm back and forth between levels 97 and 98 just getting more experience so I have more mana and HP for the final fights (and I wouldn't object to a little pStun). So nexus swaps don't always mean instadeath, even if it is an important stat. It just means you need to be more careful.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎