X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bogatyr
    Knight
    • Feb 2014

Here's how I start gnome mages

Since it comes up from time to time, here's a walkthrough of how I start gnome mages and get them to about clev 12 in a short time and with very little danger of dying. Usually it takes a freakishly bad RNG streak to die with this approach.

+ max INT (18/50) at birth, the remainder into STR. 18/50 INT at start is really important, if not, it's not a "true mage" start IMO, but more a hybrid/challenge character. Human mage is sort of an exception since they gain levels a bit faster, but a gnome mage gains quite fast enough, and the extra SP makes it much easier to play, not to mention the freedom from entirely forgetting about free action for the whole game. Simply taking out uniques in the endgame gets gnome mage to clev 50 or close enough without exp grinding. Hanging out on dlev 98 also results in !Experience which makes the game move along nicely.

+ no selling birth option for more dungeon gold

+ first descent: shovel for gold to buy 2nd and 3rd spell books, 15 flasks of oil or so, and split the rest between phase doors and cure light wounds. Armor is a waste of money. A couple of food rations, too, and perhaps torch or two. I generally just wield the shovel and leave it there, all GnMage's fighting is with magic missile or throwing flasks of oil in emergencies.

+ I stay on dlev 1 for several clev. Usually exploring a full dlev 1 will result in clev about 3 or 4. You want to boomerang up gaining levels from casting newly learned spells. You get big gains at clev 7, you want to be able to learn all 3 7-th level spells, so save your study points to make sure you have 3 at 7, and 3-4 at clev 9, which allows you to just about boomerang all the way up to clev 11 and identify, at which point I start diving seriously towards stat gain.

+ Never try unidentified items until you get to clev 11: sell in the alchemist shop

Here's a log of me just starting and raising a gnome mage to clevel 12 in about an hour (took longer than usual due to stopping to type)

Gn mage (18/50 starting INT, all the rest into STR)
    clev 1: 3 SP, gain 2 spells

Immediate learn and cast magic missile and detect monsters. This gets you to 7 xp remaining to clev 2

Buy 15ish flasks of oil, a shovel, and split the rest of your gold between phase door and cure light wounds (5-6 each).

Descend to dlev 1 and kill stuff to get to clev 2, always resting after each monster so that SP remains full. Always fight from a distance, and keep the path to the stairs clear.

clev 2: 5 SP, gain one spell (one study point remaining),
    choose a spell and cast it, 18 xp remaining to clev 3

At clev 2 you get one spell. Choose either phase door or light area, light area is probably better because phase door will not be reliable until you gain more INT and levels, and you want all your SP for attack. Use scrolls of phase door, they're cheap. Gain the spell, cast it. This gets you to about 18 xp until clev 3.

Continue exploring and killing on dlev 1 until you reach clev 3.
    Disarm all traps except dart traps and trap doors (unless you don't mind going down, but the fall could kill you, or drop you hurt next to a monster). The 5 xp you get for disarming each trap can really accelerate level gain. Detect monsters to make sure nothing is around you in case the trap puts you to sleep.

clev 3: 7 SP, gain 2 spells (2 study points remaining)

Learn and cast both level 3 spells: find traps/doors, and stinking cloud. This leaves about 16 xp left to clev 4.

You may want to head to dlev 2 now that you have detect traps/doors/stairs. Just be careful to watch SP and keep a clear path back to the stairs. You're looking to kill things, pick up items, and disarm all harmless traps.

Once you acquire 100 gold, return to town and buy the 2nd spell book, then return to dungeon. Or wait until clev 5, which should be soon.

clev 4: 9 SP, gain 1 spell (1 study)
    Do not learn your remaining 1st spell book spell (which is level one). Save it for clev 5 in order to get 3 level 5 new spell gains. Descend to dlev 2 or 3, based on your preferences.

clev 5: 11 SP, gain 2 spells (3 total study now)

Return to town if you have not already bought spell book #2. Buy it and learn the level 5 spells lightning bolt, and 1-2 other level 5 spells of your choice, and cast them. I learn cure poison and usually trap door destruction (confuse monster is not successful enough to use at this point, leave your SP for magic missile.

Note: casting two level 5 spells should be enough to get you to clev 6, leaving one study point left. In my case, killing a few monsters and disarming a few traps on the way back to town, leaves me with 51 xp left to clev 7 after casting just two new 5th level spells. At this point I'm saving the study points for the 7th level spells.

gain and cast lightning bolt
    gain and cast cure poison, 51 xp remaining to clev 7

clev 6: 13 SP, gain 1 spell (2 total study points now), 51 xp remaining to clev 7
    No purchases except minor ones (food, torches), save money for the 3rd spell book (costs 400). Sell unidentified potions and scrolls.

clev 7: 15 SP, gain 2 spells (4 total study points now) 81 xp until clev 8
    Gain and cast frost bolt: 39 xp until clev 8
    Gain and cast spear of light: 4 xp until clev 8
    2 study points left.

at this point I decided to gain clev 8 by killing things:

clev 8: 17 SP, gain 1 spell (3 total study points now), 119 XP to clev 9
    gain and cast teleport self, 84 XP remaining to clev 9
    found a short bow of extra might, woohoo
    (Always wear and wield all armor and weapons found in the dungeon)
    Drop all gloves that make your hands "feel unsuitable for spell casting"

gain and cast wonder: 19 XP remaining to clev 9 and one remaining study point
    Cast frost bolt against jellies and salamanders, they take extra damage from it.

Kill a few things, and now

clev 9: 19 SP, gain 2 spells (3 total) about 150XP to clev 10
    Decide to dive a bit before using scroll of recall to return to town for 3rd spell book
    I dive down to dlev 8, kill things, gain

clev 10: 21 SP, gain 1 spell (4 total study points), 178 xp to clev 11
    detect Mugash, decide to recall to town now and buy the 3rd spell book.
    gain and cast fire bolt (level 10 spell), 108 xp remaining to clev 11, 3 study points
    gain and cast Satisfy Hunger (level 9 spell), 36 xp remaining to clev 11, gain clev 11

clev 11: 23 SP, gain 2 spells (total 3 study points remaining), 196 xp left to clev 12
    gain and cast identify on all my items: 130 xp remaining to clev 12

And once a mage is clev 11 and has identify, he can dive dive dive. At this point, since the next spells to learn are at level 15, just learn and cast all the remaining spells you have as you gain them.

gain and cast polymorph monster: polymorph and kill a few townspeople
    gain and cast lesser recharging and blow up my wand of wonder. gain clev 12

clev 12: 25 SP, gain 1 spell, (1 study point remaining), 244 XP until clev 13
    gain and cast sleep monster, 216 XP until clev 13

And GnMage is off to the races.

As you can see, a Gnome mage can start the game really fast. One clev 3 or so is reached, the early game monsters all fall easily to magic missile. Just remember always to rest after casting every spell so SP are always max!

It may take a good missile weapon to take out some early uniques like wormtongue. Otherwise, just skip the uniques until you gain some more levels and have more SP.

Enjoy your shiny new gnome mage!
    Here's his history log:

• Monkey Face
    Adept
    • Feb 2009

I usually follow a somewhat similar strategy except that I wait until CL10 to cast the spells for their experience (except for spells I'm actually using). The spells are worth the same regardless of CL, but a monster is worth less experience the higher your CL. Also, I disarm dart traps as well. Yes, I sometimes get zapped in a stat but it comes back as soon as I level up.

Comment

• bio_hazard
      Knight
      • Dec 2008

My start is pretty similar as well, except I'll buy the 2nd spell book in town before first entering the dungeon. I'll also get a short bow or sling if available in 3. Definitely buy !CLW and ?Phase door, and if I have money left, a shovel. If I didn't buy a launcher, I'll make sure I have some flasks of oil and/or iron shots, and an extra torch and maybe 4 total foods.

I usually stay on DL1 until I'm just a couple of points away from CL 3, at which point I hope I can survive at least one or two rounds from a fast Grip/Fang on level 2 by the time I meet him. At that point I descend and fight things I can kill at a distance until I'm ready to learn a spell from the 3rd spell book. Experience gain is so fast with a mage! I use ID potions and scrolls in safe locations (unless there's a hot treasure feeling on the level and I don't find equipment that explains the feeling). Deep descent can be a nasty surprise but rarely fatal- even if you are really under powered at 600 or 700' stealth is usually pretty good with gnome or hobbit so you can typically avoid the things that might seriously outclass you.

If I haven't found a really good launcher or ammo, or a reasonably good wand (even Wonder) or, e.g. ring of acid or something, I'll stay away wormtongue until I'm proficient at frost bolt and can cast a number of times in a row.

When I recall, I'll get the next spellbook, look for interesting armor (there are some useful helms that occasionally show up in 2 and don't cost very much). Other priorities are any attack wands I can afford, staffs of tele, mapping staff or scrolls, and checking 3 or 7 for good ammo or better launchers.

Ring of the Mouse is a very good ring if it has good stealth +'s, also any int ring because of the sustain.

I'll ignore even leather armors beyond robe until I'm at hound depth and might grab a crummy ego for a resist, or often times not until Resistance or Elvenkind start to show up. Definitely try not to get overburdened, so as tempting as that +7+8 Maul is it's probably not worth it.

Comment

• gglibertine
        Adept
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by bio_hazard
        Definitely try not to get overburdened, so as tempting as that +7+8 Maul is it's probably not worth it.
        Tell me about it. Wormtongue just dropped a Scythe of Slicing of Acid on dl10... but I'm playing a kobold priest. I'm not even strong enough to wield it!

This is a great discussion. I want to attempt gnome mage again sometime soon, but after losing about 10 of them over the course of three days I needed a break.

Comment

• Bogatyr
          Knight
          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by gglibertine
          Tell me about it. Wormtongue just dropped a Scythe of Slicing of Acid on dl10... but I'm playing a kobold priest. I'm not even strong enough to wield it!

This is a great discussion. I want to attempt gnome mage again sometime soon, but after losing about 10 of them over the course of three days I needed a break.
          Yeah my "unkillable" gnome mage just got wasted by a blink dog next to a steganopide (?), the blink dog kept commanding me hither to the stego could continue killing me . Should not have entered that room!

Comment

• gglibertine
            Adept
            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Bogatyr
            Yeah my "unkillable" gnome mage just got wasted by a blink dog next to a steganopide (?), the blink dog kept commanding me hither to the stego could continue killing me . Should not have entered that room!
            God I hate those blink dogs.

I managed to kill my kobold priest so I'm back with gnome mage. I've just hit cl12 on dl8, and things seem to be moving along nicely. I'm still trying to figure out just *how* fast to dive, but so far so good.

Comment

• Estie
              Veteran
              • Apr 2008

My mage start:

Buy some clw, phase and 1 magic map (I start with "usefull gear", if not using that option, also get a ? recall and book 1). Learn magic missile.

Stay close to stairs on lvl 1, try flavours for xp; the magic map scroll is there to help me get close to stair again when I hit on deep descend. Start taking downstairs once I hit lvl 2. Keep an eye out for Maggot.

Dive this way till I hit clvl ~9,5. I dont learn any other spells, unless there happens to be a room with an exceptional feeling I want to explore, or if I play with disconnected stairs, in which cases I also grab detect traps+stairs and monsters.

Soon after hitting level 9, I read the ? recall, buy books 2 and 3, learn all the spells I deem important, cast them to hit lvl 11 and proceed to identify the junk I have accumulated.

Checkpoints on the dive down:

-Rod of treasure location: These are easy to find at the depth where rods first appear, but rare deeper down, so I try to find one early and linger untill I do so.

- See invisible and free action: If I dont have these covered when ghosts and shades start appearing, I stop diving and start shopping and killing uniques to get them. Gnome has free action covered which helps.

- Stealth: I want lots of it (~ +10) before I get to depths where the big Ds can be seen. Not for the Ds themselves - they have a deep slumber - but they are the indicator that I have reached "out of my depths" terrain. This is the final stopping point; the difference in danger beetween here and 98 is minimal assuming careful play. So once I have enough stealth, its all downwards from there.

Comment

• luneya
                Swordsman
                • Aug 2015

This thread inspired me to try playing mage again. So I set up a Dunedan Mage, and found Raal's on DL 1. First time I've ever seen something like that with a character who could use it. So now all I need to do is not die stupidly, and I'm gonna kick ass. Thanks, guys!

Comment

• Carnivean
                  Knight
                  • Sep 2013

Originally posted by luneya
                  found Raal's on DL 1.
                  That belongs in the "Has the RNG lost its mind?" thread. That's crazy.

Comment

• Bogatyr
                    Knight
                    • Feb 2014

Egads. Finding Kelek's may be worse. Can't cast the most interesting stuff until way later. Raal's is great: sound and shards attacks for those pesky uniques that resist all the basic elements.

Comment

• Bimbul
                      Adept
                      • Sep 2015

Presumably the damage output is higher with a mage on that book.

I currently have a v. high level rogue going and the two spells available from Raal's (Cloud Kill and Shockwave) do an almighty 51 and 62 damage respectively for about 25 mana - I have binned it.

Very very nice find for a mage though - nice.

Comment

• Bogatyr
                        Knight
                        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Bimbul
                        Presumably the damage output is higher with a mage on that book.

I currently have a v. high level rogue going and the two spells available from Raal's (Cloud Kill and Shockwave) do an almighty 51 and 62 damage respectively for about 25 mana - I have binned it.

Very very nice find for a mage though - nice.
                        They are not big damage spells even for a mage, but they're still nothing to sneeze at, and sound can stun monsters stopping them from attacking, and not much resists sound and/or shards.

Edit: I was speaking of Shockwave and Explosions, actually. Cloudkill is nice for clearing a room of weak to medium monsters without destroying any equipment.

Comment

• brbrbr
                          Adept
                          • Sep 2015

I have another mage game but changed number of things:
                          Dunedan instead of Gnome = HD 10 vs HD 8 - gives more HP
                          Priority to both CON and INT at birth.
                          The idea is that with high CON stat at birth I could maximize character health quicker. (Most of my previous games CON was maxed too late in the game - dl80-90)

So far the strategy pays off, as I get considerably more HP at current level (cl 25, dl 35), than gnome.
                          Spell damage is weak, but I found it depends more on the cl, rather than on INT.

I have nice Executioner Sword of Defender early on, and with Scroll of Chant I melee often, and it works well.
                          Mana pool is still low (~50) as I get unlucky with Intellect/Brawn potions neutralizing each other.
                          I also don't wear Ring of Mouse or Ring of Escape. They are safer, but less fun.

So far the biggest challenge are Ghost and other stat suckers. Dunedin see them late, and even one point stat drain makes him significantly weaker. High-Elf would be better for small XP penalty.

I think midgame will be OK, just tedious.

Comment

• luneya
                            Swordsman
                            • Aug 2015

Don't go deep enough for stat drains to show up until you have at least a lantern as your light source, and preferably a source of see invis. The main sources of early-game stat loss are ghosts and mosses. Ghosts are one-hit kills, so as long as you can see them, all you need to do is wait for them to come out of the wall and blast them out of existence. And the mosses don't move, so the second point of light radius amounts to complete protection.

Also look for rings of soulkeeping in the black market. Dunedain already sustain con, so wearing one of these covers all of the stats that you'll ever care about.

I understand what you mean about the fun of a melee-mage configuration. For a while during the early-to-mid-game on my Dunedan mage I was wielding Anguirel, which acts both as a good stat stick and a combat weapon, with the malus of aggravate monster. So I stored my stealth items at home and just focused on kicking ass for a few character levels. But eventually, the experience needed per level mounted to the point where I needed to start really diving to get anywhere, so I switched back to a more conservative configuration.

Comment

• bio_hazard
                              Knight
                              • Dec 2008

Ugh- lost my last promising hobbit mage last night. ~DL 44 or so. I was getting a pretty good kit together- swaps for rblind and rconf, telepathy, decent speed, and Con was starting hit the good part of the curve. No dungeon books in the dungeon, but I'd actually managed to buy Resistances and Raal's in the black market!

I was working a small vault- I TOed a Winged Horror, and left the vault to rest so I didn't wake up Kavlax or Smaug. Didn't notice it coming back down the long corridor- no rNether and I was done in one breath with -11hp.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎