X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by bdgamer
    I just tried playing the new build, but the screen is messed up, font-wise, from the start screen, and far worse when changing to no graphics. Tried multiple fonts, and all of it looked bad. Anything I can do?
    Yes, I can reproduce that - Windows only. It is indeed ghastly. Hitting Window->Reset Layout improves the situation considerably, but you have to play with tiles, and changing fonts does nothing.

I'll try and work out what's gone wrong.

Pete - any chance one of the type changes could have done this? Bear in mind that the autobuilder cross-compiles:
    Code:
    make -f Makefile.win CROSS=i586-mingw32msvc- all
    Do we maybe need a new cross-compile target?
    Last edited by Nick; February 7, 2016, 23:12.
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Pete Mack
      Prophet
      • Apr 2007

@bdgamer, are you using main-win.c? If so, can you try rebuilding with a version from two days ago? I made changes to allow it to work on WIN64. If it broke win32 I would really like to know.
      @Nick--any warnings to do with pointer size casts? That's all I changed.
      Last edited by Pete Mack; February 8, 2016, 00:04.

Comment

• Nick
        Vanilla maintainer
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Pete Mack
        @bdgamer, are you using main-win.c? If so, can you try rebuilding with a version from two days ago? I made changes to allow it to work on WIN64. If it broke win32 I would really like to know.
        I assume he's using the autobuilt version - details of the build are here.

@Nick--any warnings to do with pointer size casts? That's all I changed.
        No warnings at all. I tried compiling it with mingw using
        Code:
        MINGW=yes make -f Makefile.win
        and had exactly the same problems as with the autobuild.

Comment

• Pete Mack
          Prophet
          • Apr 2007

I see the problem--I left in some horrible debug code that needs to come out. For reasons I do not understand, AddFontResourceEx is returning zero on WIN64 builds, but the code is still working with the return value ignored. I have submitted the fix for WIN32, while I continue to investigate why WIN64 is failing here, but failing harmlessly.

Comment

• Nick
            Vanilla maintainer
            • Apr 2007

I see the problem--I left in some horrible debug code that needs to come out. For reasons I do not understand, AddFontResourceEx is returning zero on WIN64 builds, but the code is still working with the return value ignored. I have submitted the fix for WIN32, while I continue to investigate why WIN64 is failing here, but failing harmlessly.
            Cool, I'll just merge that - no need for a pull request

Comment

• Nick
              Vanilla maintainer
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by bdgamer
              I just tried playing the new build, but the screen is messed up, font-wise, from the start screen, and far worse when changing to no graphics. Tried multiple fonts, and all of it looked bad. Anything I can do?
              Now there is - download the latest Windows build, should all be back to normal.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                Prophet
                • Apr 2007

Nick, I truly can't figure out what is wrong with AddFontResourceEx on WIN64. I ended up making the following ugly fix:
                Code:
                	/* Load the new font.  */
                	i = AddFontResourceEx(buf, FR_PRIVATE, 0);
                	/* Hack: WIN64 AddFontResourceEx sometimes quietly succeeds. */
                	if (i == 0 && errno != 0) {	
                		plog("Note: add font failed for %s with error %d\n", buf, errno); 
                		return (1);
                	}
                I verified that if the font doesn't exist, the return value is 0 with errno = 2. Errno = 0, return = 0 should be impossible.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                  Prophet
                  • Apr 2007

Also, I am going to figure out how to use TrueType fonts. The bitmap pixel fonts are *really* terrible on modern hi-resolution screens. 9x16, which I used to use, is now too small. The 10x fonts are ugly. Font selection should be as simple as opening a menu filtered to fixed fonts only. Loading your own font is incredibly archaic.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                    Veteran
                    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Nick
                    Here are links to the latest builds ....
                    Nick, great job! I just descended a @ all the way through to killing Sauron and Morgoth, then even dropped him all the way down to DL 127 and scummed for The One Ring. Player Knowledge and Cone Breath all worked as anticipated and there was not a single crash.
                    “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
                    ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• spara
                      Adept
                      • Nov 2014

Just compiled this, rolled an elf ranger and descended a few levels. Don't know if it's a feature, but casting Detect Traps, Doors & Stairs detected a chest. I don't think I've seen that before.

Thanks for fixing the continuous centering, btw. Funny how hard it is to get rid of old, established habits. Gets harder every passing year.

Comment

• nikheizen
                        Adept
                        • Jul 2015

Originally posted by spara
                        Don't know if it's a feature, but casting Detect Traps, Doors & Stairs detected a chest. I don't think I've seen that before.
                        Was the chest trapped? Detecting traps on chests seems to detect the chest as well.

Comment

• spara
                          Adept
                          • Nov 2014

Originally posted by nikheizen
                          Was the chest trapped? Detecting traps on chests seems to detect the chest as well.
                          Aren't they all ? I can see the reason it being detected, it just feels a bit quirky.

And now that we're talking about trap detection. It would feel a bit more consistent if the traps were fuzzily detected like objects and properly identified only when seen.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                            Prophet
                            • Apr 2007

Aren't they all ? I can see the reason it being detected, it just feels a bit quirky.

And now that we're talking about trap detection. It would feel a bit more consistent if the traps were fuzzily detected like objects and properly identified only when seen.
                            IMO unnecessary work to do, whole concept of traps needs reconsidering. Currently they are boringly repeated "press this button to make them go away" -things. Too dangerous to ignore, too easy to detect.

Comment

• spara
                              Adept
                              • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Timo Pietilä
                              Currently they are boringly...
                              I agree with that.

One more. And this is a bug I think.

I picked up a Set of Leather Gloves and wore them briefly. So briefly that they did not get identified. I dropped them and now they are called Set of Leather Gloves [1] {worn}. Since I don't like them, I want to ignore them. I stand on top of them and hit 'k', select floor and Set of Leather Gloves. I'm given these choices:
                              a) This item only
                              b) All excellent but not splendid Handgear
                              Here's a save file of the character standing on top the handgear: headgear.zip

Comment

• PowerWyrm
                                Prophet
                                • Apr 2008

Just compiled this, rolled an elf ranger and descended a few levels. Don't know if it's a feature, but casting Detect Traps, Doors & Stairs detected a chest. I don't think I've seen that before.
                                Feature. I'm currently reviewing the changes made for 4.1, and I saw that along the way.
                                PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎