X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by academic.sam
    I changed it to 100 to see how it works. There is some weirdness in numbering, but no crashes or unselectable items. Following is the bottom of the list in home. B) is the 24th item.

The only minor issue is increasing this number increases all store slots. Since each store already has an individual max stocking level, this only means stores can accept more. So, I don't think this trophy-room nonsense is needed and we can hoard to our hearts content
    Excellent, thanks for testing. I'll do a fix to the numbering at some point.
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• werepacman
      Scout
      • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Derakon
      Once you have learned the name of an artifact, it can never again be generated
      Than there is no sense in museum. Only if someone considers collecting artifacts for competition.

Comment

• Runaway1956
        Apprentice
        • Feb 2015

I like. I don't know if I need or really want 100 spaces, but, what I don't use, I just don't use.

On the other hand, there ARE a number of items that I have dropped in the town, because I was running out of space. A pretty awesome Defender had to go, to make room for my magic books! A few lesser items, I was keeping because I didn't know if they were important.

Yeah, I guess if the space were large enough, I'd have about 40 items right now.

If the numbering gets TOO WIERD, some of us less bright pupils may have a hard time withdrawing items . . . .
        It's a 1982 Honda GL 500 Silver Wing Interstate, my daily commuter. http://linuxcounter.net/cert/522398.png

Comment

• academic.sam
          Scout
          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Runaway1956
          If the numbering gets TOO WIERD, some of us less bright pupils may have a hard time withdrawing items . . . .
          When I tried it, I could just use the arrow keys to move down to the item that I need and 'enter' to select that. That works for items that don't have a letter as well.

In case you are interested, I have a special copy of 3.5.1 (Windows) where I increased the home capacity to 100 }:-)

You can get it from here

Disclaimer: This executable works for me. If it ends up eating your kittens, you're on your own

Comment

• klassik
            Apprentice
            • Sep 2013

In case you are interested, I have a special copy of 3.5.1 (Windows) where I increased the home capacity to 100 }:-)

You can get it from here

Disclaimer: This executable works for me. If it ends up eating your kittens, you're on your own [/QUOTE]

*downloads*
            *goes to work*
            *comes home to find that kittens have been eaten*

IT'S ALL MY FAULT!!!!!!!!!!

whhaaaaa
            He did the mash.
            He did the morgoth mash.
            The morgoth mash.
            It was an angband smash.

Comment

• Pete Mack
              Prophet
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Nick
              In the new code, this should* be just a matter of changing one umber in an edit file.

*as long as it doesn't break the UI, which I don't think it does
              It would definitely break, because there's no support in UI for arbitrary size menus. Each element in a list requires a specified letter IN ADVANCE, and that letter can't conflict with the UI (in this case the store UI.)

So 50 is probably about the limit for lists, without getting silly and using non alphanumeric characters.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                Prophet
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Pete Mack
                It would definitely break, because there's no support in UI for arbitrary size menus. Each element in a list requires a specified letter IN ADVANCE, and that letter can't conflict with the UI (in this case the store UI.)

So 50 is probably about the limit for lists, without getting silly and using non alphanumeric characters.
                Unless you change the UI so that there are actual pages in stores so that each page resets the chars. Requires store code change, but that should not be a biggie. I think.

Comment

• Nick
                  Vanilla maintainer
                  • Apr 2007

Pete! Good to hear from you. I was just cursing your name, life and ancestors making use of your wonderful menu code yesterday

Originally posted by Pete Mack

You're right, but it works not too badly in practice because you can just scroll down the menu and then select.

Maybe something like giving menu items after the tag limit no tag at all would be a less precarious way of allowing the same workaround.
                  One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                  In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                    Veteran
                    • Jan 2009

It seems that everyone's post in this thread discusses HOW increasing home size could be done, but what about SHOULD it be done? Inventory management and the pressures it induces are part of the game. Decisions about what to keep and what to get rid of in the absence of perfect information is one of the "real-life" aspects of the game. Certainly, it would be nice to store everything in the home, but I'm not so certain it should be that way.
                    “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
                    ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Derakon
                      Prophet
                      • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
                      It seems that everyone's post in this thread discusses HOW increasing home size could be done, but what about SHOULD it be done? Inventory management and the pressures it induces are part of the game. Decisions about what to keep and what to get rid of in the absence of perfect information is one of the "real-life" aspects of the game. Certainly, it would be nice to store everything in the home, but I'm not so certain it should be that way.
                      We have had that discussion before, and I (as, if I recall correctly, do most people) feel that inventory constraints are mostly interesting when in the dungeon, not at home. Certainly the game becomes slightly easier when you can store everything that might ever potentially be useful, instead of having to pick only ~25 items to keep. But that wasn't ever a very interesting source of difficulty. Mostly it amounted to occasionally going "Dang it, I wish I'd kept that item around, because it would have let me use this new piece of gear even though otherwise it's worse than what I'm currently using."

I think honestly the biggest risk from a larger home is people spending way too much time optimizing their equipment, since they'll have more options to choose from in the late game.

Comment

• academic.sam
                        Scout
                        • Mar 2013

Two days ago, I found this fantastic Balance Dragon Scale Mail of Elvenkind [50,+32] <+2> which gives basic four + sound,shards,nether,chaos and disenchanment resists.

Also found a few other dragon scale mail of elvenkind and dwarven that are quite neat. Being able to keep them just to try out is more fun for me than being forced to ditch them.

Also, with the new changes, those who need larger home can have it while those who enjoy the challenge of fewer home slots can have their fun too.

So, in my book, that is a no brainer.

PS: As soon as I find a con-boost, I'll be wearing the BDSM (ha) to the final fight. Caspanion can stay at home
                        Last edited by academic.sam; March 11, 2015, 15:50.

Comment

• AnonymousHero
                          Veteran
                          • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Derakon
                          We have had that discussion before, and I (as, if I recall correctly, do most people) feel that inventory constraints are mostly interesting when in the dungeon, not at home. )
                          Exactly. When in town it just needlessly forces you to spend a lot of time pondering what to keep/ditch(*) when you could have just dumped whatever you might want to keep into your home and be on your merry way back into the dungeon.

(*) This is especially true when you're playing with randarts since you might be concerned with trying to cover all the resists (or sustains or whatever), but have absolutely no way of knowing beforehand which resists/sustains will become available on which slots later on. With standarts you know ahead of time which items are (realistically) going to show up, and so you don't have to worry about keeping a good "spread" of items in the home.

Comment

• mushroom patch
                            Swordsman
                            • Oct 2014

From a game balance perspective, adding space in home makes no difference. If you're playing in a such a way that it's even possible for this to be a consideration, the game is so easy it doesn't make any difference how much stuff you can keep at home. Inventory space is a consideration, but with the number of slots in home currently, home space is not nearly limited enough for the marginal extra slot to make any difference.

On the other hand, I wonder if even more unlimited home space is really the way to go for angband. If anything, it would seem to me that less home slots would be the more interesting direction to go.

Comment

• Derakon
                              Prophet
                              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by mushroom patch
                              On the other hand, I wonder if even more unlimited home space is really the way to go for angband. If anything, it would seem to me that less home slots would be the more interesting direction to go.
                              If you want even less home space, I submit you should be playing ironman.

Comment

• TJS
                                Swordsman
                                • May 2008

I find that I basically only use the space in the home just to put off making difficult equipment decisions until later. It's rare that I actually use something later that I don't want to use straight away. Since playing ironman I find that whole aspect of the game a lot more fun as you are forced to choose there and then.

I think the UI for the home would be better if there was a discard button, especially now there is no selling so there's no point picking up stuff you no longer want. At the moment you have to make room in your inventory (normally by dropping stuff outside) then picking up what you want to chuck then leaving the home and then dropping it outside.

Unless of course there's a keyboard shortcut that I never knew about (which is pretty likely come to think of it).

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎