• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dawnmist
    Rookie
    • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Timo Pietilä
    Seems to default to no. Not in my home computer now, so I can't check which way that was there. I assume no. Need to check other options as well, if some of them has changed (I just copied my 3.4.1 chars in 3.5, so they inherited the options 3.4.1 had).

In short, this might be just wrong option.
    OK, a better definition of the "problem". With that option turned on I get yellow torch radius in dark corridors and rooms, but not in lite corridors or rooms.

With that I can live with, I would just prefer seeing the radius even in lite rooms. OTOH, not having torch radius visible can work as indication that I actually see what I see and it isn't just "remembered" (dark grey dot vs white dot isn't that obvious distinction, in walls you can see that better).
    Oh good :-). view_yellow_light turns the "torch" light settings on/off entirely. The option has been around for a *long* time, so I'm a little surprised that it was behaving differently to previous (I didn't touch the settings for that option, and I don't know if the default value for it had been changed between 3.4 and 3.5).

Torch and lit status tracking were a little odd - torch radius didn't seem to be currently tracked for a grid if the grid was permanently lit - the permanent lighting status overrode it. When I thought about it, if I walk into a brightly lit room with a torch I can't see the torchlight anymore either so that kinda made sense and I left that bit alone.

For colours, I initially tested using the light blue colour for lit (permanently lit but not in los) - that seemed to work well, and you could tell the difference more easily between what was in los, was lit but not in los, and what was just "remembered" when not in line of sight. But Takk didn't want to change the default lighting settings/appearance for the ascii mode so close to the release (which I agreed with), so we set the colours so that they mimicked the existing ascii colour behaviour instead of with the light blue for lit modification.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
      Prophet
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Dawnmist
      The option has been around for a *long* time
      Note that I'm one of the ancient ones. To me "*long* time" means last millennia. My savefiles are old, just upgraded when new one gets released.

Comment

• bio_hazard
        Knight
        • Dec 2008

Just want to add my 'thank you' to Takkaria and the devs. I've got my first 3.5 character going now (the competition character), and I'm really enjoying the game. Love the adventurer parties and the new room designs.

Comment

• Raajaton
          Swordsman
          • May 2012

Great work to everybody involved in making 3.5.0 an official release! I had been playing the nightlies for some time, but have taken a hiatus for the last couple of months. I'm looking forward to firing up the newest version and starting over tonight, hopefully without the "multiplayer bug" that used to occur on cavern levels

Comment

• Dawnmist
            Rookie
            • Oct 2007

Note that I'm one of the ancient ones. To me "*long* time" means last millennia. My savefiles are old, just upgraded when new one gets released.
            Me too (though I lost my older save files)...I started with something between 2.8.1 & 2.8.3 at uni . Since the 2.8.3 release change notes mention
            The "display torch lit grids in yellow" option now affects only grids which are not perma-lit.
            (link), I think that reasonably qualifies as the option having been around for a long time , at least in one form or another.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
              Prophet
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Dawnmist
              (link), I think that reasonably qualifies as the option having been around for a long time , at least in one form or another.
              I have to agree. Did it go away at some point, or was is part of the set of options that is now gone? Option UI has changed a lot in recent years.

Comment

• Dawnmist
                Rookie
                • Oct 2007

I have to agree. Did it go away at some point, or was is part of the set of options that is now gone? Option UI has changed a lot in recent years.
                It used to be in the Display set of options (option set 5), and has now been rolled into the main set. I don't think it's ever gone away, just moved categories when things got condensed - though several of the related options have gone away. According to the 3.0.3 manual draft here it used to default to off even back then. I don't know why if it was on for you previously the setting didn't carry forward from 3.4.1 to 3.5.0 with your save/pref file import. *shrug* At least it's working now.

Comment

• gglibertine
                  Adept
                  • Dec 2007

I just thought I'd throw this out there -- I'm a 45th level technical writer (I won't claim 50th because I don't know, nor do I want to know, Interleaf), and I'm moving to England in 3 weeks on a fiancé visa, which means I won't be allowed to work for at least several months, until I can establish permanent residency &c.

I'd be happy to volunteer my time to update help and spoiler files, if there's a need. It's always good to keep busy, and to avoid the dreaded resume gap. Let me know if there's anything I can do.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                    Prophet
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by gglibertine
                    I just thought I'd throw this out there -- I'm a 45th level technical writer
                    That's unknown class to me, clearly some sort of variant. Is is hard to get to level 46? What kind of monsters to slay? Any specialties beyond vanilla?

Comment

• fizzix
                      Prophet
                      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by gglibertine
                      I just thought I'd throw this out there -- I'm a 45th level technical writer (I won't claim 50th because I don't know, nor do I want to know, Interleaf), and I'm moving to England in 3 weeks on a fiancé visa, which means I won't be allowed to work for at least several months, until I can establish permanent residency &c.

I'd be happy to volunteer my time to update help and spoiler files, if there's a need. It's always good to keep busy, and to avoid the dreaded resume gap. Let me know if there's anything I can do.
                      I recently went through all the help files for the 3.5.0 release, so I don't think there's anything needed there, and I would guess that right now is one of the very few undesirable times to update them since there will probably be some significant UI changes before the next release. Spoiler files are mostly auto-generated as far as I know.

Comment

• debo
                        Veteran
                        • Oct 2011

IMO you should write angband fanfic. Or funnies!!
                        Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• Mark
                          Adept
                          • Oct 2007

No selling by default

Having played 3.5 a bit more; I am enjoying no selling. (Admittedly I'm playing Dwarf Priest a lot who sense or and tend to wield heavy weapons)

Not giving inventory slots to items for selling is great.

Comment

• Bogatyr
                            Knight
                            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Mark
                            Having played 3.5 a bit more; I am enjoying no selling. (Admittedly I'm playing Dwarf Priest a lot who sense or and tend to wield heavy weapons)

Not giving inventory slots to items for selling is great.
                            Yes at first this bothered me a lot, now I only keep items that I intend to use now or perhaps later. And gathering the gold quickly to buy stat potions or other juicy black market finds before hitting stat gain levels is nice.

And let me say (I'm a long time rogue-a-like player starting with rogue, so I go back about 30 years) I really like vanilla 3.5.0. Lots of varieties of items, mushrooms, with tradeoffs. Especially the gain one lose one stat potions are fun before hitting stat gain!

Comment

• AnonymousHero
                              Veteran
                              • Jun 2007

Am I missing something or can you actually go to get level 100 and get Morgoth to spawn without killing Sauron on L99 in 3.5.0? I didn't try to kill P to see what it would do, but...

(Just to be clear I'm playing a *very* slightly modified version, but I don't think it's anything that should affect this in any way.)

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                                Prophet
                                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by AnonymousHero
                                Am I missing something or can you actually go to get level 100 and get Morgoth to spawn without killing Sauron on L99 in 3.5.0?
                                Should not be possible. If so, then it is a bug.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎