X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Timo Pietilä
    Prophet
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Malak Darkhunter
    Do you reckon that warrior could destroy that door before that pack of orcs catch up to him?
    Depends of the door. If it is hollywood cardboard door you just walk straight thru. If it is standard issue Finnish door it would probably be easier to dig a hole next to it.

Comment

• Derakon
      Prophet
      • Dec 2009

Do you reckon that warrior could destroy that door before that pack of orcs catch up to him?
      Depends on the warrior, depends on how close the orcs are, but the real question is, can they destroy the door in less time than it currently takes them to pick the lock? If so, then they'll simply destroy every locked door they come across, as if "locked" meant "jammed".

Comment

• Estie
        Veteran
        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Derakon
        Depends on the warrior, depends on how close the orcs are, but the real question is, can they destroy the door in less time than it currently takes them to pick the lock? If so, then they'll simply destroy every locked door they come across, as if "locked" meant "jammed".
        That wouldnt be bad at all, except that it requires a macro. Ideally the default action when running into locked doors would be the shorter of (open lock, dig through door). But rather than going overboard with coding that, you can just give everyone decentish lockpicking skills :P

Comment

• Malak Darkhunter
          Knight
          • May 2007

Originally posted by Estie
          That wouldnt be bad at all, except that it requires a macro. Ideally the default action when running into locked doors would be the shorter of (open lock, dig through door). But rather than going overboard with coding that, you can just give everyone decentish lockpicking skills :P
          Wow, based on everything I am reading why not just get rid of classes altogether? Wait a minute that almost sounds like Sangband, minus the skills, because we want to give everyone decent skills after all.

Comment

• Estie
            Veteran
            • Apr 2008

Wow, based on everything I am reading why not just get rid of classes altogether? Wait a minute that almost sounds like Sangband, minus the skills, because we want to give everyone decent skills after all.
            Nono, not every class plays the same. When it comes to fighting monsters, there are distinguished differences - mage casts acid bolt and stays at safe distance, warrior goes in close and dirty and melees, tacticts abound ! But when it comes to doors, while having different approaches is in theme, it doesnt seem very exciting to expose on different ways of opening doors for 99 levels. If angband was 20 dlvls deep, maybe you could enjoy playing different ways of "how do i get past this obstacle". But if you try to enforce some micromanagement for opening doors, it will be tedium for the last 80 levels.

Comment

• Malak Darkhunter
              Knight
              • May 2007

Originally posted by Estie
              Nono, not every class plays the same. When it comes to fighting monsters, there are distinguished differences - mage casts acid bolt and stays at safe distance, warrior goes in close and dirty and melees, tacticts abound ! But when it comes to doors, while having different approaches is in theme, it doesnt seem very exciting to expose on different ways of opening doors for 99 levels. If angband was 20 dlvls deep, maybe you could enjoy playing different ways of "how do i get past this obstacle". But if you try to enforce some micromanagement for opening doors, it will be tedium for the last 80 levels.
              Exactly, so reduce starting skills with a gradual increase by level 50 until you are "good" at it.

Comment

• Duskfire
                Rookie
                • Sep 2012

release date incorrect

Shouldn't the page about changes in 3.5.0 say "December 24, 2013?"

Nitpicking aside, I'm glad to see the game being updated and congrats to the new maintainer! This made me decide to dust the cobwebs off my roguelike blog and work on a few short posts about *bands that I never got around to writing.

Comment

• donalde
                  Apprentice
                  • Jun 2007

possible bug

Hi

I tried to search forums on this, but didn't found this one: my Hobbit Ranger (CLVL 21, DLVL 13) is happily cruising on dungeon, wears arrows directly to quiver. Then bit later notification that arrows are magical... later, when he is shooting something, an message: "On the ground: 34 Arrows (1d4) (+4, +1)" ... that was bit odd, but I didn't take too much notice. Now I wear directly another bunch of arrows to quiver, it imiddiatly tells that those arrows are splendid... later, a information: "On the ground, 26 Arrows of Lightning (1d4) (+8, +5)".. so, there seems to be a bug, as tunnel floor is free of arrows.

Comment

• PowerWyrm
                    Prophet
                    • Apr 2008

Originally posted by donalde
                    Hi

I tried to search forums on this, but didn't found this one: my Hobbit Ranger (CLVL 21, DLVL 13) is happily cruising on dungeon, wears arrows directly to quiver. Then bit later notification that arrows are magical... later, when he is shooting something, an message: "On the ground: 34 Arrows (1d4) (+4, +1)" ... that was bit odd, but I didn't take too much notice. Now I wear directly another bunch of arrows to quiver, it imiddiatly tells that those arrows are splendid... later, a information: "On the ground, 26 Arrows of Lightning (1d4) (+8, +5)".. so, there seems to be a bug, as tunnel floor is free of arrows.
                    Is that from 3.5 or an old dev release? I've seen this during the dev phase, but it has been fixed ages ago...
                    PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• donalde
                      Apprentice
                      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by PowerWyrm
                      Is that from 3.5 or an old dev release? I've seen this during the dev phase, but it has been fixed ages ago...
                      Release, downloaded and installed on 28.12.2013, W7 64b, angband.exe is dated to 24.12.2013

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                        Prophet
                        • Apr 2007

Bug: (might have been in older versions as well)

I recently started to mess with font-win.prf to get all the color features I would like to have.

I noticed that "los" setting overrides "torch" color setting. This means I can't get yellow torch radius (including walls in torch radius) because torch is always at LoS. Lit and dark work like designed.

Comment

• Dawnmist
                          Rookie
                          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Timo Pietilä
                          Bug: (might have been in older versions as well)

I recently started to mess with font-win.prf to get all the color features I would like to have.

I noticed that "los" setting overrides "torch" color setting. This means I can't get yellow torch radius (including walls in torch radius) because torch is always at LoS. Lit and dark work like designed.
                          I'll look into this tonight (since I made the patch to split out los/torch settings and handling). A couple of quick questions though:
                          1. Do you have the "view_yellow_light" option on? I'm assuming yes, but I had to check .
                          2. What colors are you setting the dark/lit/los/torch to (so I can test with your colors)? Are any of them white (because the old defaults override white)?
                          3. Is the area you're in permanently lit?

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                            Prophet
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Dawnmist
                            I'll look into this tonight (since I made the patch to split out los/torch settings and handling). A couple of quick questions though:
                            1. Do you have the "view_yellow_light" option on? I'm assuming yes, but I had to check .
                            There's an option for that? If that defaults to yes, then yes.

2. What colors are you setting the dark/lit/los/torch to (so I can test with your colors)? Are any of them white (because the old defaults override white)?
                            Torch is yellow, los is white and lit and dark are shades of grey (permanent walls I used different shades of blue, like it would be metal instead of rock).

3. Is the area you're in permanently lit?
                            I tested this in all variants of dungeon illumination.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                              Prophet
                              • Apr 2007

There's an option for that? If that defaults to yes, then yes.
                              Seems to default to no. Not in my home computer now, so I can't check which way that was there. I assume no. Need to check other options as well, if some of them has changed (I just copied my 3.4.1 chars in 3.5, so they inherited the options 3.4.1 had).

In short, this might be just wrong option.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                                Prophet
                                • Apr 2007

Seems to default to no. Not in my home computer now, so I can't check which way that was there. I assume no. Need to check other options as well, if some of them has changed (I just copied my 3.4.1 chars in 3.5, so they inherited the options 3.4.1 had).

In short, this might be just wrong option.
                                OK, a better definition of the "problem". With that option turned on I get yellow torch radius in dark corridors and rooms, but not in lite corridors or rooms.

With that I can live with, I would just prefer seeing the radius even in lite rooms. OTOH, not having torch radius visible can work as indication that I actually see what I see and it isn't just "remembered" (dark grey dot vs white dot isn't that obvious distinction, in walls you can see that better).

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎