X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PowerDiver
    Prophet
    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Magnate
    I don't know what I think about expanding the home - I can think of arguments both ways. To help my thinking, can someone explain why we should expand the home but not the pack?
    There are items that are only very occasionally useful. For example, an elvenkind armor with rShards. With a limited home it is junk and stays in the dungeon. With an unlimited home, it gets stored, and I might even use it.

Then, lets go back in time before the artifact upgrades. A newbie has all 4 of Paur* gauntlets, and runs out of room. He has to throw away 3 of them. How was he supposed to know that Paur{elec} is the one to keep? Is it really more fun for him to save the wrong one?

A lot of people spend an inordinate amount of time worrying about what to keep at home. They used to post to rgra and presumably wait an entire day for help. Wouldn't they enjoy the game more if they could just keep adventuring?

I enjoy the optimization to adventure with 23 slots. I do not enjoy 24 slots at home -- I just put up with it. I believe the game would be more fun and would not change in nature with an unlimited home.

Comment

• ewert
      Knight
      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by PowerDiver
      A lot of people spend an inordinate amount of time worrying about what to keep at home. They used to post to rgra and presumably wait an entire day for help. Wouldn't they enjoy the game more if they could just keep adventuring?

I enjoy the optimization to adventure with 23 slots. I do not enjoy 24 slots at home -- I just put up with it. I believe the game would be more fun and would not change in nature with an unlimited home.
      This. +1.

The only times I really stop "playing" and start just pondering and being a bit bothered sometimes and bored sometimes is when I run out of home space and have to decide which artifact/item/ring to junk.

And it starts real fast. Even at stat gain, you have stored some nice stat rings, some dmg rings, consumable potions/scrolls etc., and home is full very soon. I actually save a Ring of Light {!k} and squelch the rings of light afterwards, but it gets sold soon because ... run out of homespace. Sucks.

Comment

• buzzkill
        Prophet
        • May 2008

I too oftem lament the lack of space in my home, as I often don't know which items I may need in the future. That being said, this just feels like a bad idea to me, but...

If unlimited home space is going to be seriously considered, I hope there WILL BE consideration of a limit to the number of slots that one can devote to store bought items, less your home turn into a super-store with 100's of every possible consumable lying about.

...or maybe just number slots in home=clvl.
        www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
        My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• PowerDiver
          Prophet
          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by buzzkill
          If unlimited home space is going to be seriously considered, I hope there WILL BE consideration of a limit to the number of slots that one can devote to store bought items, less your home turn into a super-store with 100's of every possible consumable lying about.
          Ah, perhaps this is the heart of our disagreement. AFAIAC, the stores already carry infinite supplies of all common items. There is just the tedium of going to DL 1 and resting in between shopping trips. I consider anything to let you store storebought items as an attack on tedium with 0 game balance ramifications.

Comment

• fizzix
            Prophet
            • Aug 2009

I'd really prefer for the home to be limited. My reasoning is simple, anything that increases gameplay decisions is good. Making the home unlimited would eliminate a decision.

I do agree that the lack of consumables in town is a problem. I'd much prefer for stores to have larger stacks and eliminate the buyout option. The magic shop, alchemist, and temple should always be stocked with the same consumables with the same quantities on store refresh. Books are a consumable in this context, as are potions, scrolls, wands and staves. The armoury, weaponsmith and BM can remain unchanged, as can the weapons in the temple and the rings and amulets in the magic shop.

And can we eliminate the silliness that doesn't allow the town to refresh inventory if the arbitrary turn marker passes while you're in town? It produces really ugly meta-gaming.

Comment

• Rizwan
              Swordsman
              • Jun 2007

Originally posted by fizzix
              I'd really prefer for the home to be limited. My reasoning is simple, anything that increases gameplay decisions is good. Making the home unlimited would eliminate a decision.
              Some one already mentioned a compromise, limited but expanded home with a page each for weapons, armor, rods/staves/wands, potions/scrolls/consumables etc

Originally posted by fizzix
              And can we eliminate the silliness that doesn't allow the town to refresh inventory if the arbitrary turn marker passes while you're in town? It produces really ugly meta-gaming.
              How about after X active turns in the dungeon whenever you return to the town the stores restock.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                Prophet
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Pete Mack
                @ewert--
                You walk north and enter your bedroom.
                Wideset golden eyes shine from under the bed.
                There is an iron key on the dresser.
                To the east, you see a walk-in closet, closed with a heavy padlock.

[Caveat: I'm not actually in favor of mini-games--I certainly don't miss bargaining in stores]
                You enter the closet
                It's pitch black in here
                Crue eats you
                You die -more-

Comment

• Sirridan
                  Knight
                  • May 2009

Grue you mean?

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                    Prophet
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Sirridan
                    Grue you mean?
                    Yes. (adding something to satisfy forum "your message is too short"-complain)

Comment

• Tiburon Silverflame
                      Swordsman
                      • Feb 2010

I think separate pages for the major item classes would probably do the trick for most of us, and it wouldn't force custom coding for item handling. It's still 23 items per page, same keymapping...just one menu in front, for picking the page to display.

As to fizzix' comment that this would eliminate a decision...perhaps so, but this isn't a good area in which to force a decision. The far more important one is the overall set that you take with you. And generally, I just don't think this is an area where the game should be compelling decisions. Town's a convenience and a safety net; tactics belong in the dungeon.

Comment

• ewert
                        Knight
                        • Jul 2009

For what it's worth, I have a no-selling/extra home pages thing going on. First playtesting is done pretty much, next will code the most glaring problem away with the general store still being a shop. I guess when that is done I will post the .exe so people who don't have time to bother setting up compiler in their computer can test it too.

My initial feeling about it, is that it will be more than enough, and the no-selling part actually does not hinder play that much (caveat, played paladin, so warriors beware =P). Maybe if changed rods of curing to rods of ccw... *hmmmmm*

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎