X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • buzzkill
    Prophet
    • May 2008

Originally posted by bio_hazard
    Any chance of getting auto-travel-to-and-pick-up for gold and spent ammo (like in Crawl)? Pressing one button to pick up all gold in the room seems good from a UI perspective, and would be subject to disturbance, etc.
    Going out of your way to pick up gold in the early game is hardly worth it because the amounts are so small. Picking it up in the later game is useless because the amounts are still relatively small, and you probably already have all the GP you need, because selling is much much much more effective. IMO making GP invisible, but also auto-picked up when you walk over it as an option (or through squelch) would be a good thing. Less clutter.

I'm not adverse to auto-travel-pickup of ammo, but I don't know that I'd ever use it. Picking up spent ammo isn't an imposition to me (in Vanilla).
    In FAAngband this might be something to think about, as your errant shots travel through the target and often become spread far and wide, sometimes hidden from view by trees and other terrain.
    www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
    My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• bio_hazard
      Knight
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by buzzkill
      Going out of your way to pick up gold in the early game is hardly worth it because the amounts are so small. Picking it up in the later game is useless because the amounts are still relatively small, and you probably already have all the GP you need, because selling is much much much more effective. IMO making GP invisible, but also auto-picked up when you walk over it as an option (or through squelch) would be a good thing. Less clutter.

I'm not adverse to auto-travel-pickup of ammo, but I don't know that I'd ever use it. Picking up spent ammo isn't an imposition to me (in Vanilla).
      In FAAngband this might be something to think about, as your errant shots travel through the target and often become spread far and wide, sometimes hidden from view by trees and other terrain.
      this sounds more like an argument to completely remove found money from the game. To be honest, I don't find coins on the ground to be an issue. Thematically, I like the idea of an adventurer returning with a big sack full of gold rather than 15 suits of used armor.
      an option to toggle the display to hide money and junk might make sense just to make sure there isn't something important covered up. At some point though, I want a bit of atmosphere!
      Maybe auto-squelch money for ironman only?

Comment

• PowerDiver
        Prophet
        • Mar 2008

About the gold squelch, how would that work? Presumably you wouldn't know there was gold there to step on if you couldn't see it.
        Most of the time you pick up the money dropped by monsters you melee, just by accident.

You'd miss money generated on the floor in rooms most likely. Stuff in corridors is harder to miss.

This is particularly useful for ironman obviously, but I was happy to use it with deep chars too. Pits are so messy after you let loose with that staff of power. I still collected plenty of money.

Comment

• PowerDiver
          Prophet
          • Mar 2008

Geeze. It's like any other squelch. Let the player ignore what he chooses not to see. How could that ever be a bad thing?

Comment

• PowerDiver
            Prophet
            • Mar 2008

Oh, there's one other benefit to money squelch. Let's say you clear a pit with a staff of power, and there are no items [hypothetically] but there are monies on every square. If you want to pick it all up, with money squelched, you run back and forth across the pit covering every square using maybe a dozen keystrokes without being disturbed every time you take a step.

Comment

• Derakon
              Prophet
              • Dec 2009

Why not just give the character any money the monster was carrying as soon as the monster dies? "You hit the Novice Mage. You have slain the Novice Mage. It was carrying 34 gold pieces' worth of copper." Okay, this is a little weird when you kill enemies at a distance, but whatever.

Comment

• buzzkill
                Prophet
                • May 2008

this sounds more like an argument to completely remove found money from the game.
                You misunderstand me. It's quite the opposite. I'd like to see GP become more important by making selling less. Until that time comes, picking up GP, just as mining is, is only marginally important.

To be honest, I don't find coins on the ground to be an issue.
                Nor do I. This isn't something I would have thought up on my own, but a good idea none the less.

Thematically, I like the idea of an adventurer returning with a big sack full of gold rather than 15 suits of used armor.
                Agreed. As it should be.

an option to toggle the display to hide money and junk might make sense just to make sure there isn't something important covered up. At some point though, I want a bit of atmosphere!
                Can things be covered up by GP? Wouldn't an item be placed on top of any stack?

In any case, atmosphere is good (esp for noobs) which is why incorporating it through the squelch menu or making it an option would be important.

I disagree with the notion of anything for "ironman only", that's why we have Ironband (well, not really, but you get my point).
                www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.

Comment

• Djabanete
                  Knight
                  • Apr 2007

Regarding coins, why not remove the different types of currency (adamantite, garnets, copper, etc) and have gold drops stack. So if you kill a hydra, all 2,000 gold just lands in one pile. If you kill a novice mage on top of it, you have a pile of 2,015 gold. The color of the pile could reflect the quantity of gold: copper-color, silver-color, gold-color, mithril-color (light blue), adamantite-color (light green), white, purple (for example).

Instead of a huge number of messages that read "you pick up 635 gold pieces worth of adamantite \\ you pick up 23 gold pieces worth of copper \\ you pick up 82 gold pieces worth of gold", it would just say "You pick up 740 gold pieces."

When a gold-carrying monster dies, just check to see if there's a preexisting gold pile within 1 tile, and add to it if there is.

Comment

• PowerDiver
                    Prophet
                    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Djabanete
                    Instead of a huge number of messages that read "you pick up 635 gold pieces worth of adamantite \\ you pick up 23 gold pieces worth of copper \\ you pick up 82 gold pieces worth of gold", it would just say "You pick up 740 gold pieces."

When a gold-carrying monster dies, just check to see if there's a preexisting gold pile within 1 tile, and add to it if there is.
                    The first is done already, I believe. Implemented some time in 3.1 IIRC. The second would reduce gold objects substantially in a pit, but there would still be a bunch.

Comment

• Nick
                      Vanilla maintainer
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by PowerDiver
                      If you want to pick it all up, with money squelched, you run back and forth across the pit covering every square using maybe a dozen keystrokes without being disturbed every time you take a step.
                      Has it not occurred to you that the rest of us might *want* you slowed down?
                      One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                      In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• bio_hazard
                        Knight
                        • Dec 2008

these may require some tweaks for the Creeping X coins, or perhaps dropping that monster set altogether.

Comment

• buzzkill
                          Prophet
                          • May 2008

My 2 cents... If I fail to recognize an item here, it's because I either didn't understand it, commented elsewhere, or have no firm opinion.
                          Originally posted by PowerDiver
                          (2) adders add -- any additive change to a maximum value changes the current value equally additively, such as hp from con changing
                          I'd like to see permanent stat boost, such as that by stat potions, give the same proportional boost to current values as they do to max values. Temporary boosts, as granted ay equipment, should only raise the max.

(3) separated charges on stacks of charged items
                          Why not do this? I few extra lines of code and the number of charges remaining on any particular item suddenly makes sense.

Comment

• PowerDiver
                            Prophet
                            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Nick
                            Has it not occurred to you that the rest of us might *want* you slowed down?
                            Nope.

Besides, the point of that suggestion [running back and forth across a pit] was that even people who want to pick up every last copper piece in a dragon pit might benefit from money squelching. I did it once to test that it worked, but I doubt I'd ever use it myself for that particular purpose.

Comment

• PowerDiver
                              Prophet
                              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Pete Mack
                              On additive HP, I think we will just need to agree to disagree. I tend to think in terms of HP remaining until death, not HP from max.
                              I've been trying to understand this, but I do not see your concern. What is inconsistent about putting on a ring that adds 10 hp taking you 10 hp further away from death?

[editing] Also, I can only imagine moving either 0 or 10 hp from death. I cannot imagine an intermediate value such as 3 making any sense whatsoever [as in the proportional approaches]. Are you at least with me on this?
                              Last edited by PowerDiver; February 7, 2010, 20:00.

Comment

• zaimoni
                                Knight
                                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by buzzkill
                                (3) separated charges on stacks of charged items
                                Why not do this? I few extra lines of code and the number of charges remaining on any particular item suddenly makes sense.
                                Oh, it's easy enough (the first versions of wand/staff stacking in V did this, 2.7.x?) -- it just is a total inventory slot disaster.

It would be logical to reintroduce,if the super-webbing backpack gets even more super by losing its hardcoded slot limits.
                                Zaiband: end the "I shouldn't have survived that" experience. V3.0.6 fork on Hg.
                                Zaiband 3.0.10 ETA Mar. 7 2011 (Yes, schedule slipped. Latest testing indicates not enough assert() calls to allow release.)
                                Z.C++: pre-alpha C/C++ compiler system (usable preprocessor). Also on Hg. Z.C++ 0.0.10 ETA December 31 2011

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎