Perfect, thanks!

Comment

• sffp
      Swordsman
      • Apr 2020

Congrats on the new version.
      I do see some improvements.

But did you buff the illusionist?
      It looks like not only does it haste self, slow you and paralyze you, but it starts off quick now.
      I've had a couple of @'s die at ~500' bc of illusionist paralysis.

Comment

• Nick
        Vanilla maintainer
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by sffp
        But did you buff the illusionist?
        It looks like not only does it haste self, slow you and paralyze you, but it starts off quick now.
        I've had a couple of @'s die at ~500' bc of illusionist paralysis.
        Nope, unchanged.
        One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
        In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• mrfy
          Swordsman
          • Jul 2015

Minor typo probably, but when battling a silent watcher (from afar) I got this message a few times:

"The baleful presence of $the silent watcher inspires your enemies."

I'm assuming this is from it shrieking for help? Anyway, the $ probably shouldn't be there.

Comment

• Nick
            Vanilla maintainer
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by mrfy
            Minor typo probably, but when battling a silent watcher (from afar) I got this message a few times:

"The baleful presence of $the silent watcher inspires your enemies."

I'm assuming this is from it shrieking for help? Anyway, the $ probably shouldn't be there.
            Thanks, fixed.
            One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
            In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• PowerDiver
              Prophet
              • Mar 2008

I've noticed a bug in 4.2.5 I never noticed in previous versions. I had 2 unided scrolls of enchant to hit in my pack, read and escaped out without using it, my pack reshuffled and then I had only one. When I rewound and read off the floor and escaped, both remained. Contact me if you want a savefile.

P.S. The reason I automatically exit out when I learn the flavor is that to-hit and to-dam give the same message, and often I want to use to-hit on one weapon and to-dam on another. A different message would be nice.
              Last edited by PowerDiver; October 4, 2023, 23:57.

Comment

• Grotug
                Veteran
                • Nov 2013

My amulet showed up as having poison resistance even though my character sheet didn't, and even though the amulet did not, in fact, impart poison resistance.

In other news, what happened to the Lurker?!?!? Seems it's been nerfed. It showed up as an x in the dungeon, instead of a .

This change makes me very sad.
                Beginner's Guide to Angband 4.2.3 Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9c9e2wMngM

Detailed account of my Ironman win here.

"My guess is that Grip and Fang have many more kills than Gothmog and Lungorthin." --Fizzix

Comment

• backwardsEric
                  Knight
                  • Aug 2019

Originally posted by Grotug
                  My amulet showed up as having poison resistance even though my character sheet didn't, and even though the amulet did not, in fact, impart poison resistance.
                  If you have a savefile with that amulet, posting a zipped copy of it here would help identify what went wrong.

In other news, what happened to the Lurker?!?!? Seems it's been nerfed. It showed up as an x in the dungeon, instead of a .

This change makes me very sad.
                  That was an intentional change to resolve https://github.com/angband/angband/issues/3691 . In ASCII lurkers now should behave similarly to mimics (showing up as '.' until the player knows it is there).

Comment

• Grotug
                    Veteran
                    • Nov 2013

I loved the befuddlement and bafflement of lurkers remaining a . on the dungeon floor. Eventually I figured out what was going on when using detection, which would show it's location. I think making it show up as an x takes away the whole fun and novelty of this creature. :-/
                    Beginner's Guide to Angband 4.2.3 Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9c9e2wMngM

"My guess is that Grip and Fang have many more kills than Gothmog and Lungorthin." --Fizzix

Comment

• PowerDiver
                      Prophet
                      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Nick
                      [*]torch random artifacts can drop deeper in the dungeon
                      Why "deeper" rather than "anywhere"? Why even have torch artifacts if they are hard to control?

I just played a game with substantial killing and vault looting, and I found the Star artifacts but did not see the base item lights. Checking the randart log, there were 2 Stars and a torch and a lantern. I tracked down torches and lanterns throughout the game, but I found neither the torch nor lantern artifacts. Covering rNexus and rDark were major annoyances all game, so the base item light artifacts would have been very helpful this game. None of the alloc lines even reached 70. Pretty much any artifact light would be more interesting at DL90+ than the last hundred *Slay Evil* weapons with hit dice less than a lochaber axe. Junk litters the dungeon. Why restrict the few items that might be useful?

# Random light of power 116
                      namef Laquen
                      base-object:light:Star
                      graphics:~:Yellow
                      level:20
                      weight:5
                      cost:15000
                      alloc:14:22 to 69
                      attack:0d0:0:0
                      armor:0:0
                      flags:FREE_ACT | NO_FUEL
                      values:CON[4] | LIGHT[3]
                      act:MAPPING
                      time:50+1d50
                      desc:Random light of power 116

# Random light of power 108
                      namef Anruth
                      base-object:light:Wooden Torch
                      level:40
                      weight:22
                      cost:100000
                      alloc:4:21 to 64
                      attack:1d1:0:0
                      flags:FREE_ACT | NO_FUEL | LIGHT_2
                      values:STR[4] | INT[3]
                      values:RES_NEXUS[1]
                      desc:Random light of power 108

# Random light of power 86
                      namef Luing
                      base-object:light:Star
                      graphics:~:Yellow
                      level:15
                      weight:5
                      cost:30000
                      alloc:27:19 to 51
                      attack:0d0:0:0
                      flags:FREE_ACT | NO_FUEL
                      values:INT[1] | LIGHT[3]
                      values:RES_ACID[1] | RES_COLD[1]
                      act:MAPPING
                      time:50+1d50
                      desc:Random light of power 86

# Random light of power 95
                      name:'Giond'
                      base-object:light:Lantern
                      level:80
                      weight:50
                      cost:200000
                      alloc:6:20 to 57
                      attack:1d1:0:0
                      flags:NO_FUEL | LIGHT_3
                      valuesEX[3] | CON[2]
                      values:RES_DARK[1]
                      desc:Random light of power 95

Comment

• backwardsEric
                        Knight
                        • Aug 2019

Originally posted by PowerDiver
                        Why "deeper" rather than "anywhere"? Why even have torch artifacts if they are hard to control?

I just played a game with substantial killing and vault looting, and I found the Star artifacts but did not see the base item lights. Checking the randart log, there were 2 Stars and a torch and a lantern. I tracked down torches and lanterns throughout the game, but I found neither the torch nor lantern artifacts. Covering rNexus and rDark were major annoyances all game, so the base item light artifacts would have been very helpful this game. None of the alloc lines even reached 70. Pretty much any artifact light would be more interesting at DL90+ than the last hundred *Slay Evil* weapons with hit dice less than a lochaber axe. Junk litters the dungeon. Why restrict the few items that might be useful?
                        The torch base item now appears everywhere which avoids one depth limit for any artifacts based on it. The minimum and maximum level calculations that the randart code applies to an artifact based on its "power" (obj-randart.c:2867-2880) did not change. It sounds like you want no maximum level limit, which is what it was prior to Angband 4 (at least as far back as Angband 3.1.2).

Comment

• backwardsEric
                          Knight
                          • Aug 2019

I loved the befuddlement and bafflement of lurkers remaining a . on the dungeon floor. Eventually I figured out what was going on when using detection, which would show it's location. I think making it show up as an x takes away the whole fun and novelty of this creature. :-/
                          If others feel the same, lurkers (and trappers) could always appear like floors. That would free up space in the tile sets to use for something else.

For ASCII and the Windows front end, the mod to restore the pre 4.2.5 behavior is relatively simple. Copy font-win.prf from lib/customize to lib/user. Edit lib/user/font-win.prf to add this line to the end of the file:

Code:
                          monster-base:lurker:1:8

Comment

• PowerDiver
                            Prophet
                            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by backwardsEric
                            If others feel the same, lurkers (and trappers) could always appear like floors.
                            If we are voting, I vote that See Invisible allows you to see things that are invisible.

Comment

• Grotug
                              Veteran
                              • Nov 2013

But exceptions to rules add depth and mystery! Which is sooo fitting for a game with this much depth and complexity. Lurkers and Trappers are another great addition to the "wtf is happening?" in Angband. Time attacks are another good example of this, as they override sustains and Hold Life. Rare exceptions to rules give a feeling of an expanded universe that isn't fully knowable and mysterious. They have to be rare enough to hold that place of exception and in order to have the shock factor, though, and I think Angband has struck this balance well. It's not like Angband has tons of nonsensical exceptions to the rules it sets forth. Anyway, aren't lurkers and trappers blended into their surroundings like how octopi have insane camouflage abilities? Lurkers and trappers aren't really invisible, they're just super camouflaged (is how I remember their description). I dunno, I think they're a cool novelty that shouldn't be nerfed for the sake of logic and order. And the fact that they don't move makes them not *totally* unfair. Chaos is a major theme in Angband, and time attacks and hard to pin down monsters fit this theme well in my mind.

Thanks for the fix, backwarsEric.

Comment

• PowerDiver
                                Prophet
                                • Mar 2008

Lurkers and trappers aren't really invisible, they're just super camouflaged (is how I remember their description).
                                You can be camouflaged while you wait. Once you attack, you are obvious. I might not notice a gray rug on the floor. When it stands up and moves 10 feet to attack me, I think I notice.

I've probably seen dozens of examples in anime where a baddie is camouflaged as the surface of the floor. But before the fight starts in earnest, there is a pretty sequence where the villain coalesces so it can fight.

I also have a problem with "true seeing". Camouflage, illusion, invisibility are all in the eyes of the physicist. In fantasy, true seeing almost always means the ability to see through illusions. IMO magical seeing should let you see the camouflaged *before* they attack, but I figure I'm alone on this point and won't press the argument.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎