Angband on the Nintendo 3DS (and the Nintendo DS as well, I guess.)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • timschumi
    Rookie
    • Feb 2021

Angband on the Nintendo 3DS (and the Nintendo DS as well, I guess.)

I have been working on a 3DS port for Angband (cool picture) that is now reasonably playable, so I felt like I can promote it a bit.

While it is still marginally based on the code that was submitted to the repository over a decade ago, I removed or reworked most of it, so I'd appreciate it a lot if you report any issues that you may find.
    If you are a developer and want to contribute or review the existing changes (especially the latter would be very cool), you can find the current changes here (EDIT: Link removed because changes have been merged ).

For installing the port onto your 3DS, simply download the 3dsx file from here and put it somewhere on your SD card where you can launch it. You also need to download game files from here and extract them to your SD card so that you have an `angband` folder in its root.

For the original Nintendo DS, the procedure is similiar, you just need to download the nds file instead of the 3dsx file. However, keep in mind that the NDS port is more of a Proof-of-Concept, the screen is way to small to properly see and the device is way too underpowered to run vanilla Angband (you might get somewhere if you tune the number of monsters and the level size, but it will still take ages to generate). It also doesn't have proper keybindings yet so you will have to get around with the D-Pad and on-screen keyboard only.
    Last edited by timschumi; August 13, 2021, 13:13.
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

For some historical context, the first post about *bands on the DS, a later thread about FA on the NDS, and the Angband DS thread.

I'm glad this still contains some of the original DNA, but more glad that it has had major surgery. I really didn't know much about what I was doing
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• timschumi
      Rookie
      • Feb 2021

The files have now been moved to a seperate area on my home page, which now includes a nice overview of the installation instructions, as well as all the current and previous downloads.

In other news, the first big batch of updates has been merged upstream and is now officially included in release 4.2.3. Whether there will be any "official" nds/3dsx files we will see.

The second set of released binaries also contains a few performance optimizations, which makes everything a bit faster. There was also a lot of memory optimization work (mostly benefitting the NDS, which is now a lot closer to being playable on default settings) that is already present upstream, but I haven't yet packaged those into a release.
      Last edited by timschumi; August 13, 2021, 13:13.

Comment

• Nick
        Vanilla maintainer
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by timschumi
        In other news, the first big batch of updates has been merged upstream and is now officially included in release 4.2.3. Whether there will be any "official" nds/3dsx files we will see.
        I think for now making downloads available through your page is the right thing to do. Once NDS starts becoming competitive with Mac, Windows and Linux for number of players we can have a rethink
        One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
        In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Hounded
          Adept
          • Jan 2019

Is there an official Linux build for the latest version somewhere? I've been using Windows/Wine but would love something directly on Ubuntu (my softskill set is not at the "compile it yourself" level so I've been reluctant to ask).
          It Breathes. You die.

Comment

• backwardsEric
            Knight
            • Aug 2019

Originally posted by Hounded
            Is there an official Linux build for the latest version somewhere? I've been using Windows/Wine but would love something directly on Ubuntu (my softskill set is not at the "compile it yourself" level so I've been reluctant to ask).
            No, there's no prebuilt Linux binaries (for best guarantees of compatibility you'd want one for packaged for each distribution that's of interest). Compiling it yourself on Ubuntu isn't that bad. If that's of interest, post in the 4.2.3 thread, and I can try to give some instructions there.

Comment

• swim
              Apprentice
              • Mar 2021

This is really cool. I have a modded DSi... but I've been looking for an excuse to do the same to my New 3DS XL. Will report back if I get this running!

Comment

• swim
                Apprentice
                • Mar 2021

Just putting the finishing touches on the homebrew setup for my N3DS XL
                So pumped to try out Angband on this!

Comment

• swim
                  Apprentice
                  • Mar 2021

I have it running!

Just getting used to the interface now... I was surprised how accurate I could get the diagonal movement going with the circle pad. However, whenever going in the upwards-left diagonal direction, the movement seems to consistently get stuck after letting go of the circle pad and continues to go in that direction until interrupted.

Comment

• swim
                    Apprentice
                    • Mar 2021

there doesn't seem to be any way to submit an Issue on the github page : (

Comment

• timschumi
                      Rookie
                      • Feb 2021

Originally posted by swim
                      there doesn't seem to be any way to submit an Issue on the github page : (
                      There should be now (and sorry for not checking this thread more often). ^^

However, I guess issues should be filed on the upstream repository instead, seeing how my downstream fork will only carry very small code changes for the foreseeable future.

Comment

• swim
                        Apprentice
                        • Mar 2021

There should be now (and sorry for not checking this thread more often). ^^

However, I guess issues should be filed on the upstream repository instead, seeing how my downstream fork will only carry very small code changes for the foreseeable future.
                        Where would I find the upstream repository to properly submit the issue?

Comment

• timschumi
                          Rookie
                          • Feb 2021

Where would I find the upstream repository to properly submit the issue?
                          Here. The URL should also be listed as "Forked from angband/angband" on my repository.

Comment

• swim
                            Apprentice
                            • Mar 2021

Here. The URL should also be listed as "Forked from angband/angband" on my repository.
                            Thanks! Though I am a little confused. The problem is specific to the 3DS port. Why shouldn’t it be filed as an issue under the 3DS port?

Comment

• timschumi
                              Rookie
                              • Feb 2021

Thanks! Though I am a little confused. The problem is specific to the 3DS port. Why shouldn’t it be filed as an issue under the 3DS port?
                              The 3DS port has been merged into the upstream repository, it's no longer separate. In the foreseeable future, the former port repository will only be used by me to submit new changes for the port to upstream. Maybe, if I put it to rest entirely, I may even delete the repository as a whole as there is no real specific value in keeping it.

As to where issues should go, I technically don't care, it's the same to me. The only difference is that I'm not subscribed to new issues on the upstream repository. On the other hand, the upstream repository is where most of the developers are, as I'm not the only one writing code for the 3DS.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎