• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlueFish
    Swordsman
    • Aug 2011

Sil: compilation of annoying deaths

Please post your own.

I just had a great start with a naugrim master smith. He found Orcrist and Shield of the Swan before 300 ft. Then at 350 i came across what must have been two standard packs of easterling archers, at least 6 of them total. I whittled them down till there were 2 left and I had 20 hps with decent protection. I moved once towards them and according to the combat rolls window, one rolled a 20 and the other a 19, against two rolls of 1 for me. Each double criticaled for 3d11, bringing me down to -3 hp.

Still haven't won with a smithing dwarf, but they're pretty fun.
  • debo
    Veteran
    • Oct 2011

Did you take blocking?
    Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• taptap
      Knight
      • Jan 2013

> *** LOW HITPOINT WARNING! ***
      > You are too full to drink it.
      > You die.

---

> You hit the Great cold-drake!!!!
      > The Great cold-drake stares deep into your eyes!
      > You fall into a deep trance!
      > The Great cold-drake bites you!!
      > You die.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
        Veteran
        • Jan 2012

My most annoying death to date was one with my Hugoroids guy who had great protection from Nevrast combined with 20+ Evasion and a turd Great cold-drake still managed an unexpected death bite
        My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• Philip
          Knight
          • Jul 2009

The young fire-drake breathes fire. The young fire-drake breathes fire. The young fire-drake claws you! You die. Standing next to Anguirel, Belthrolding, and boots of Fingon.

Comment

• BlueFish
            Swordsman
            • Aug 2011

My dwarven smith just found The Forge 'Orodruth' at 200 ft. I'm doing a slow-starter sort of build and I couldn't take the forge or even stay on the level. But I had to try, and of course died.

What's Orodruth? What would it have done for me?

Comment

• debo
              Veteran
              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by BlueFish
              My dwarven smith just found The Forge 'Orodruth' at 200 ft. I'm doing a slow-starter sort of build and I couldn't take the forge or even stay on the level. But I had to try, and of course died.

What's Orodruth? What would it have done for me?
              Orodruth is an enchanted forge on steroids. It gives you a large bonus to your smithing skill when using it -- I don't remember the precise number bc I've only found it twice
              Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• BlueFish
                Swordsman
                • Aug 2011

Originally posted by debo
                Orodruth is an enchanted forge on steroids. It gives you a large bonus to your smithing skill when using it -- I don't remember the precise number bc I've only found it twice
                I checked the source, it's +7 smithing.

It should be generated about 10% as often as an enchanted forge, though probably seen less since it'll likely often be generated without being seen, and from there it would never be generated again that game.

Comment

• BlueFish
                  Swordsman
                  • Aug 2011

Surviving to that second forge in a slow-starting smithing build, only to find it guarded by gorcrows and purple worms. Killing the crows, and, eventually, the swarming worms, and ending up with negative 1 strength. Spending the next 20 minutes searching for a way to restore that strength, before inevitably dying.

Comment

• BlueFish
                    Swordsman
                    • Aug 2011

Had a really fun game last night. I was trolling 950' with the Great Axe of Nogrod, and over 100 hps unbuffed. But I only sustained con and str. I'd never died to Thurinwethil before, and never really even noticed her. She's always sort of melted before me when I've encountered her. Not this time. Drain grace has a snowballing effect which makes you less able to resist further draining. I died at -10 grace, I think, and negative numbers for all the rest of my stats too, even with the sustains.

It was only today that I realized that a Grace potion not only increases grace but gives you temporary grace sustain while the buff is active.

I think in the future, I'll probably make a Robe of Permanence when I can, as long as I have a restore mushroom on hand. One swap for sustain all seems like a good use of an inventory slot.

That was a strange game for the tiny number of dex potions I found. I think I found 3 all game, and I was just on the verge of 1000 being min-depth.

Also found Daillir early, the +11 arrow. Not too useful for a dwarf smith, but still fun. Good for dragonflies.

Actually a really fun game, and not too frustrating a death. I'd never even noticed that vampire before and I have a new respect for her.

Comment

• half
                      Knight
                      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by BlueFish
                      I'd never died to Thurinwethil before, and never really even noticed her.
                      That does sound cool. It might have been a bit sad though if you'd realised how to escape at the point where all your stats were so heavily drained that you needed about four stat potions in each of them. I guess the forced descent helps with this though -- it would be really awful if it just made you scum for ages, but if it leads to a very difficult throne room altercation which you then lose, that is less bad.

Comment

• BlueFish
                        Swordsman
                        • Aug 2011

Yeah, I agree half. The time limit limits more than time - also limits frustration of deaths.

Comment

• BlueFish
                          Swordsman
                          • Aug 2011

Died on the way up for the fist time tonight. Next time I presume to get all three sils, I'll make sure I have a staff of revelations. I won't be trying that again without one.

I killed V easily with one dwarf smith who had super-high evasion, dual wield, and riposte, with song of sharpness. I think the ability to kill V is pretty build dependent, though. I've been trying to do a more thematic dwarf smith, with big axes, no dual wield and lower evasion. Killing V seems problematic.

This last game where I died on the way up was pretty fun and new for me. I found the Mithril Helm of Ecthelion early, which gives 2 song and Song of Staying. It made me want to pursue a song build, based around Song of Mastery. I ended up taking ridiculous numbers of Song skills: slaying, aule, sharpness, woven themes, unwavering voice, grace. Mastery has prerequisites that I wasn't interested in and which would have pushed the number of Song skills way too far, so I knew I had to put it on an artifact. I made an amulet with +1 grace and Song of Mastery pretty early, probably at 500 feet or so. Mastery is definitely a game changer, but my build started out with 2 grace and I knew I needed way more than that. So I took all the grace points I could, from the end of the 3 trees it appears on. This crippled my melee and evasion and made the game pretty chancy all the way.

Made it through Chambers of Thu and Glaurung's lair without incident, through the throne room (didn't even come close to killing V) and up to about 700 feet before V killed me. Maybe if I'd been more careful I could have done it. Definitely could have if I'd had a staff of revelations. I lost one with 12 charges to Glaurung. I'll drop my nice staves next time before I fight him.

Sustain swaps become irrelevant in the endgame. That is to say, they're no longer swaps, they're core gear. Purple "v"s are too common, so you just have to keep your sustain stuff on. You really have to plan for sustain in your core gear rather than planning to make it a swap. I guess this is a use for smithing that is very nice. Sustains aren't too expensive in smithing, and they're highly customizable.

Eh. Successful game, relatively speaking. I won't take the "3 sil curse" lightly again. I'd made it out before under it, but had only tried once before now.

Comment

• BlueFish
                            Swordsman
                            • Aug 2011

For the second time ever, I found "Orodruth" just now. That's the unique forge. Quite a find for a smithing character. I found it at 150 feet.

Adjacent to it was a purple mold. I'd found a shortbow but no arrows. No way to kill it from a distance. But this build has high Will (4 grace) and I spent every xp I had on further will, giving total 8 will. And I'd already built a nice 3d5 battle axe at my first forge, so I did good damage. I just had to melee the sucker.

Took me 5 turns to kill it. Got dinged twice.

Eventually died. -2 con is not survivable. But Orodruth was fun, in any case.

(I never ended up removing purple molds from my game. It's a decision I regret consistently. They make "challenge builds" challenging for all the wrong reasons.)

Comment

• BlueFish
                              Swordsman
                              • Aug 2011

Well that's that. violet molds are now out of my game. I've said it before, this time it's real.

I briefly considered whether to just lower their will, but I realized that would only lower the random chance of ruining any given character.

Just painstakingly nursed a character to his second forge. Found it and it was 4 uses. Score. Fun. Decided to explore the rest of the level before I started forging stuff. Got dinged by a purple mold in a corridor. This is a character with 3 starting grace and in which I'd invested a huge 4 points of will almost immediately, just to ward off purple molds. Eh. I'm done with it. THey occur too early. before any character can legitimately protect themselves against them, and far, far before any means of restoring the stat.

They'd be perfectly fine if Sil allowed stat drain to heal over time. They would be a great introduction to a potentially stressful and fun mechanic. But if Sil wants to take a hard line against that, and make stat drain permanent until restored by some consumable that won't be found till 500 ft or so, I can't countenance purple molds where they appear. They make no sense and they are not fun. You just end up playing games until you happen to play one where you avoid them randomly.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎