Sil: What are your least liked features of Sil?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HugoVirtuoso
    Veteran
    • Jan 2012

My #1 annoyance is getting the tombstone screen when HP hits 0 (and not -1 like in Vanilla and other variants).
    My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• debo
      Veteran
      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by WaveMotion
      I've groused enough about Mewlip amnesia on this forum, but I'd like to go on record in this thread that I still consider amnesia the single most annoying, unfun feature of the game. I won't try to claim again that I can write down the whole map whenever I encounter a Mewlip (admittedly that was a stupid argument) but I can still say that in a year of playing Sil I've never run into a situation where I felt I was in danger due to amnesia—at least violet molds do your character actual harm.
      Haha aww... I'm sad to admit that I actually really love that ability. It makes them scary, but in a different way.
      Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
        Veteran
        • Jan 2012

One way to make Newlips worse is to make them natives of deeper levels, increase amnesia frequency, and give them higher HP. This way, if Newlip do the amnesia while Shadow spiders, Gwathraukar, and all the nastier foes are nearby, Newlips would be much scarier.
        Last edited by HugoVirtuoso; June 9, 2013, 02:55.

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

Comment

• jujuben
          Apprentice
          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by debo
          Haha aww... I'm sad to admit that I actually really love that ability. It makes them scary, but in a different way.
          There's nothing quite like Mewlip + Gorcrow = a completely black screen...
          A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.
          --The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates

Comment

• wobbly
            Prophet
            • May 2012

Originally posted by bron
            One (extremely minor!) gripe I have is the the descriptions of some of the Abilities are too vague without any (to me) sensible reason for it. Now, I can understand if you don't want to drag out the gory details of exactly how, say, Knock Back works in the short Ability summary text. But I see no real reason for not explaining how, say, Heavy Armor Protection works. I mean, you do it for Hardiness after all.
            A couple more where I had the wrong impression until reading the manual:

concentration: "Gives you a +1 bonus to attack for every round spent attacking an enemy ...."
            "particular enemy" as it says in the manual clarifies a lot.

subtlety: I had to check the manual to find out whether it worked with "hand & a half" weapons.

Comment

• half
              Knight
              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by HugoTheGreat2011
              My #1 annoyance is getting the tombstone screen when HP hits 0 (and not -1 like in Vanilla and other variants).
              It's not my fault there is an off-by-one error in Angband...

Comment

• tungtn
                Rookie
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by fph
                Nethack has an option to disable rest-on-space. Actually, wikihack says about it ...
                Offtopic, but wikihack is frequently outdated and sometimes vandalized. Next time, consider linking to NetHackWiki instead, which is maintained and updated by the current NetHack community.

Not that I'm blaming you; Google's ranking algorithms tend to mean that whatever appears at the top of a search just stays there, no matter how good or bad it is.

EDIT: Fixed link, derp. Now yet another link feeds Google juice to that damn wikia site.
                Last edited by tungtn; June 11, 2013, 01:50.

Comment

• fph
                  Veteran
                  • Apr 2009

Originally posted by tungtn
                  Offtopic, but wikihack is frequently outdated and sometimes vandalized. Next time, consider linking to NetHackWiki instead, which is maintained and updated by the current NetHack community.

Not that I'm blaming you; [...]
                  Thanks for the tip, good to know! I suppose your link was meant to be to this page.

(in this case, the contents of the two pages are identical anyway).
                  --
                  Dive fast, die young, leave a high-CHA corpse.

Comment

• Starhawk
                    Adept
                    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by WaveMotion
                    I've groused enough about Mewlip amnesia on this forum, but I'd like to go on record in this thread that I still consider amnesia the single most annoying, unfun feature of the game. I won't try to claim again that I can write down the whole map whenever I encounter a Mewlip (admittedly that was a stupid argument) but I can still say that in a year of playing Sil I've never run into a situation where I felt I was in danger due to amnesia—at least violet molds do your character actual harm.
                    It's a very gentle but real form of harm: you'll spend a few extra turns trying to remember exactly how to get to the stairs. This takes time off your timer and is therefore harmful.

Comment

• Patashu
                      Knight
                      • Jan 2008

There is one mechanical disadvantage from losing your memories that can't be overcome by screenshotting the map - you can't see when doors are opened if they're not on your map.
                      My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu

Comment

• tungtn
                        Rookie
                        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by fph
                        (in this case, the contents of the two pages are identical anyway).
                        Yeah? Well now they aren't. :P

Comment

• bron
                          Knight
                          • May 2008

Here's a totally stupid complaint: Why is Glamdring better than Orcrist? They are always described as "twin" swords, or "mates" to each other, yet in the game Glamdring is basically a (+2) + Defender + Gondolin + Nargothrond Longsword, while Orcrist is the same, except without the Nargothrond part. Was this deliberate? And if so, why? Was Orcrist maybe supposed to have +Doriath ?

Maybe I'm just annoyed because I've found Orcrist a couple of times, but never Glamdring.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                            Veteran
                            • Jan 2012

My newest complaint:
                            Getting interrupted during Smithing, even with some monster as weak as an Orc scout. Come on, man!

IMO, there should be an OPTION (maybe as a challenge birth option) that lets you Smith until you actually get attacked, not just interrupted due to the mere appearance of a foe. While getting attacked or even killed while Smithing is crazy (or insane), I think this will make Smithing more entertaining.

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
                              Knight
                              • Apr 2007

How can you smith with a mold watching you? IT IS WATCHING YOU. IT COULD MOVE AT ANY MINUTE. The perspiration builds. It's just too stressful to smith with THAT MOLD there. And, STOP SHOUTING ORC. I Can't focus with all that SHOUTING! Gah, I just hit my thumb! Dammit!

Smithing with distraction is like playing with 2 kids in the house. Good luck getting any quality turns in when they are in the same room.
                              You are on something strange

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                                Veteran
                                • Jan 2012

I see your point. half wanted to make the Smithing realistic. So, mere distractions are supposed to interrupt Smithing as in real-life. It would not be realistic, or even make sense, to get killed outright while Smithing, though who knows in real-life or canonically, I don't know.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎