Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • half
    Knight
    • Jan 2009

Thanks for the great detective work nryut and debo!

I think there are two bugs there. Firstly, I don't see any rationale behind that piece of code that enforces 'true rarity'. I've always interpreted the rarity numbers as being relative to each other, and having a cutoff at a total rarity of 1 is strange to me. So that has gone for 1.1.1.

The other problem was that not all item types that could be special have a depth zero option that is not worthless. I will fix this too. Dropping the earliest level at which free action can be encountered to zero does the job. I don't have a problem with anyone trying this in their own version -- it will simply mean that the plain greaves dropped by Balrogs become greaves of free action.

That said, during the discussion Scatha has come up with a new special footwear type that is undergoing testing...

Comment

• Patashu
      Knight
      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by half
      That said, during the discussion Scatha has come up with a new special footwear type that is undergoing testing...
      Fuzzy slippers? High heels? Roller blades? Shoes with comically undersized wings on them?
      My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu

Comment

• Nick
        Vanilla maintainer
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Patashu
        Fuzzy slippers? High heels? Roller blades? Shoes with comically undersized wings on them?
        I'm still trying to find some thematic justification for including Shining Pants of Radiance somewhere.
        One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
        In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Mikko Lehtinen
          Veteran
          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Nick
          I'm still trying to find some thematic justification for including Shining Pants of Radiance somewhere.
          Ha! I have the justification in my variant.

Comment

• debo
            Veteran
            • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Mikko Lehtinen
            Ha! I have the justification in my variant.

Hahahaha! I now have my halloween costume!
            Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• jujuben
              Apprentice
              • Jan 2012

Is that Thin White Duke era, or Ziggy Stardust?

You could try Greaves of Stomping, with a stealth penalty (possibly aggravate) and slight to-hit bonus?
              A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.
              --The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates

Comment

• Mikko Lehtinen
                Veteran
                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by jujuben
                Is that Thin White Duke era, or Ziggy Stardust?
                It's probably Ziggy. This style is the complete opposite of the Duke's style, really. But these pants might be a good weapon against him!

Comment

• Psi
                  Knight
                  • Apr 2007

Song of Lorien... how quickly does it put monsters to sleep? With enough song, could you re-assassinate the same monster every turn?

Comment

• Scatha
                    Swordsman
                    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Psi
                    Song of Lorien... how quickly does it put monsters to sleep? With enough song, could you re-assassinate the same monster every turn?
                    In principle, yes. You might also need to have enough stealth to avoid immediately re-alerting them. And of course your victim would need enough health to stand up to repeated assassination attempts ...

Comment

• Psi
                      Knight
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Scatha
                      In principle, yes. You might also need to have enough stealth to avoid immediately re-alerting them. And of course your victim would need enough health to stand up to repeated assassination attempts ...
                      You can imagine who I have in mind... so what sort of numbers are we talking?

Comment

• debo
                        Veteran
                        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Psi
                        This sounds like a conversation between two mobsters trying to organize a hit haha
                        Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• Scatha
                          Swordsman
                          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Psi
                          I think Song somewhere in the high 30s would be enough to lull him back at least to unwariness in one go about half the time. It's a good rate of return with extra Song at that point, too: by the low-mid 40s he will very rarely be able to focus, and often nod off. I think Song 49 would be enough to stop him ever keeping his attention on you.

You probably won't have a problem with Stealth given you'll be investing to get the most out of your Assassination. I think mid 20s would be enough to be fairly safe. If you're out in the open a Stealth of 30 should be enough to guarantee safety (with Disguise). But you will be singing; Lorien is a penalty of 4, and if you were weaving Slaying with Lorien (say), that's a penalty of 8. At that point you'd probably be looking for Stealth of over 30, before the singing penalties. Weaving with Silence would of course make it much easier.

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
                            Knight
                            • Apr 2007

When the game crashes when you hit +100 melee bonus please to let us all know! I'm assuming your going for song of slaying woven with sleep to eek out an assassination bonus cherry on top. If you're not, I'll lay off the vision herbs.
                            You are on something strange

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
                              Knight
                              • Apr 2007

Should cursed weapons be disarm-able? I abused orc captain behavior to disarm a detestable vampiric short sword I chanced upon wearing. The scene I conjure up for this is humorous, like punching acid worms to remove gloves of weakness.
                              You are on something strange

Comment

• Scatha
                                Swordsman
                                • Jan 2012

Originally posted by HallucinationMushroom
                                Should cursed weapons be disarm-able? I abused orc captain behavior to disarm a detestable vampiric short sword I chanced upon wearing. The scene I conjure up for this is humorous, like punching acid worms to remove gloves of weakness.
                                Both of these are a bit Nethack-y, but they're working as intended. We think they're cute and fine for gameplay. They can challenge your suspension of disbelief, but the circumstances only arise occasionally and you only go for it if you already understand the game mechanics pretty well (and the breaking immersion is more of a problem for new players).

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎