Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fph
    Veteran
    • Apr 2009

Checking the randart spoiler after my last char died, and found this interesting combo:
    Code:
    The Light Crossbow 'Olach' (x6) (+7,+29) <+3>
    ---------------------------------------------
     +3 wisdom, constitution, charisma, shooting power.
     Slays undead, demons.
     Branded with acid.
     Provides immunity to fire, cold.
     Provides resistance to lightning, poison, dark.
     Provides protection from fear.
     Cannot be harmed by acid, electricity, fire, cold.
     Slows your metabolism.  Speeds regeneration.  Aggravates creatures nearby.  

Min Level 58, Max Level 127, Generation chance 1, Power 354, 11.0 lbs
    Code:
    The Red Dragon Scale Mail of Ragorith (-2) [24,+26] <+2>
    --------------------------------------------------------
     +2 strength, shooting speed.
     Provides resistance to fire.
     Provides protection from blindness.

Min Level 64, Max Level 127, Generation chance 6, Power 403, 16.0 lbs
    Ouch. Incidentally, there was also a helm with +1 shooting speed in the set. I thought that in more recent versions getting +2 shots from a non-shooter was impossible, but... this is ra42bd6-whatever, the nightly from April 14.
    --
    Dive fast, die young, leave a high-CHA corpse.

Comment

• Magnate
      Angband Devteam member
      • May 2007

Originally posted by fph
      I thought that in more recent versions getting +2 shots from a non-shooter was impossible, but... this is ra42bd6-whatever, the nightly from April 14.
      Interesting - thanks for the report. I'll have to check. I won't be "fixing" randarts for a while though, because I'm working on a complete rewrite.
      "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• Estie
        Veteran
        • Apr 2008

The Quarterstaff of Drondin (1d9) (+13,+10) (+11)
        Dropped by Draebor, the Imp at 3150 feet (level 63).

+11 speed.
        Provides resistance to confusion.

A priests wet dream, and hence only to be found by non-priests. My paladin had no use for it, alas.

Comment

• Taha
          Adept
          • Jun 2009

Code:
          The Pike of Hundann (6d5) (+23,+34) [+44] <+3>
               Dropped by an Elder vampire at 4350 feet (level 87).

+3 dexterity, constitution, charisma, stealth, infravision, attack
               speed.
               Slays animals, evil creatures, undead, orcs, trolls, giants.
               *Slays* dragons, demons.
               Branded with weak acid, lightning, flames, frost, venom.
               Provides immunity to cold.
               Provides resistance to acid, lightning, fire, poison, light, dark,
               sound, nexus, nether, chaos, disenchantment.
               Provides protection from fear, confusion.
               Sustains strength, intelligence, wisdom, dexterity, constitution,
               charisma.
               Blessed by the gods.  Slows your metabolism.  Feather Falling. 
               Speeds regeneration.  Prevents paralysis.  Grants the ability to
               see invisible things.  Aggravates creatures nearby.  

When aimed, it creates a large lightning ball with damage 250.
          I posted about another amazing weapon on the acquirement thread, since that is where it came from. But this is better, even with a slight damage drop vs evil. The crossbow is also special, but no extra shots to compete with the weapon damage, and +13 speed artifact boots aren't bad either.

________
          2Bestpussy4U
          Last edited by Taha; August 14, 2011, 15:01.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
            Prophet
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Taha
            Code:
            The Pike of Hundann (6d5) (+23,+34) [+44] <+3>
                 Dropped by an Elder vampire at 4350 feet (level 87).

+3 dexterity, constitution, charisma, stealth, infravision, attack
                 speed.
                 Slays animals, evil creatures, undead, orcs, trolls, giants.
                 *Slays* dragons, demons.
                 Branded with weak acid, lightning, flames, frost, venom.
                 Provides immunity to cold.
                 Provides resistance to acid, lightning, fire, poison, light, dark,
                 sound, nexus, nether, chaos, disenchantment.
                 Provides protection from fear, confusion.
                 Sustains strength, intelligence, wisdom, dexterity, constitution,
                 charisma.
                 Blessed by the gods.  Slows your metabolism.  Feather Falling. 
                 Speeds regeneration.  Prevents paralysis.  Grants the ability to
                 see invisible things.  Aggravates creatures nearby.  

When aimed, it creates a large lightning ball with damage 250.
            I posted about another amazing weapon on the acquirement thread, since that is where it came from. But this is better, even with a slight damage drop vs evil. The crossbow is also special, but no extra shots to compete with the weapon damage, and +13 speed artifact boots aren't bad either.
            http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=11324
            +3 blows big-dice huge to_dam, branded with all elements + slay evil and kill dragons and demons???? That's insane weapon, though it does aggravate and IIRC that other one you had didn't.

Nothing in vanilla angband weapons comes close to that. What is it based on? Massive iron crown of Morgoth?? I'd say randarts are broken again.

Comment

• Magnate
              Angband Devteam member
              • May 2007

Originally posted by Timo Pietilä
              +3 blows big-dice huge to_dam, branded with all elements + slay evil and kill dragons and demons???? That's insane weapon, though it does aggravate and IIRC that other one you had didn't.

Nothing in vanilla angband weapons comes close to that. What is it based on? Massive iron crown of Morgoth?? I'd say randarts are broken again.
              He's playing 3.2.0, and it's not the randart generator that's broken, it's the object power algorithm not attaching enough weight to extra blows or to multiple brands, slays or resists. This unfortunately means that very good artifact armours can turn into over-powerful randart weapons, and I presume it was based on Bladeturner, since that's the most powerful standart.

I am confident that such a weapon would now rate as far more powerful than Bladeturner, and thus can no longer be generated.
              "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• camlost
                Sangband 1.x Maintainer
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Magnate
                He's playing 3.2.0, and it's not the randart generator that's broken, it's the object power algorithm not attaching enough weight to extra blows or to multiple brands, slays or resists. This unfortunately means that very good artifact armours can turn into over-powerful randart weapons, and I presume it was based on Bladeturner, since that's the most powerful standart.

I am confident that such a weapon would now rate as far more powerful than Bladeturner, and thus can no longer be generated.
                Everytime something uber-powerful shows up, there's supposition on it's "origin", any reason not to include it for players to see?
                a chunk of Bronze {These look tastier than they are. !E}
                3 blank Parchments (Vellum) {No french novels please.}

Comment

• Taha
                  Adept
                  • Jun 2009

I am playing the latest nightly from Apr. 17th. Started a fresh character after downloading. So everything there is from the latest and greatest...

Note the weak acid brand, which is relatively new in the nightlies. I don't mind it being weakened, but the message "you weakly corrode..." is just silly. And to have it on something that also slays evil is fairly useless, as it is now exactly the same damage as slay evil.

Aggravate is on this weapon and was not on the other, but the tradeoffs are more than worthwhile. Its not like I'm sneaking around the dungeon avoiding stuff with either weapon.
                  ________
                  WEB SHOWS
                  Last edited by Taha; August 14, 2011, 15:02.

Comment

• Magnate
                    Angband Devteam member
                    • May 2007

Originally posted by camlost
                    Everytime something uber-powerful shows up, there's supposition on it's "origin", any reason not to include it for players to see?
                    Not at all. I'll add it to the spoiler.

Comment

• Magnate
                      Angband Devteam member
                      • May 2007

I am playing the latest nightly from Apr. 17th. Started a fresh character after downloading. So everything there is from the latest and greatest...
                      That's troubling on two counts. First, your ladder dump says "3.2.0" - I presume you're playing on Windows, and the autobuilder script isn't picking up the git hash properly. Second, the issue of Bladeturner turning into sick weapons is obviously not solved. Please could you post or send me the randart.log file for this game?
                      Note the weak acid brand, which is relatively new in the nightlies. I don't mind it being weakened, but the message "you weakly corrode..." is just silly.
                      Suggestions for improvement always welcome. I couldn't think of a synonym for corrode at the time.
                      And to have it on something that also slays evil is fairly useless, as it is now exactly the same damage as slay evil.
                      But not all non-acid-resistant creatures are evil, so it's not useless at all in that particular context.
                      Aggravate is on this weapon and was not on the other, but the tradeoffs are more than worthwhile. Its not like I'm sneaking around the dungeon avoiding stuff with either weapon.
                      Indeed. That weapon is way too powerful, and should not be possible even from Bladeturner. That's why I need to see the log file to work out where the bug is. I have a suspicion that it's not counting the multiple resists/brands/slays properly.

Comment

• camlost
                        Sangband 1.x Maintainer
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Magnate
                        Suggestions for improvement always welcome. I couldn't think of a synonym for corrode at the time.
                        Etch? Dissolve?

Unfortunately, burn and melt don't work quite right.
                        a chunk of Bronze {These look tastier than they are. !E}
                        3 blank Parchments (Vellum) {No french novels please.}

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                          Prophet
                          • Apr 2007

Note the weak acid brand, which is relatively new in the nightlies.
                          That's what revealed to me that this is new(ish) nightly edition. Also angle brackets around PVAL were a giveaway.

Comment

• Taha
                            Adept
                            • Jun 2009

Magnate, I PM'd you a download link for the save and randart.log. This is all on Mac OS X. I would have reported it in a lot more detail, but I wasn't thinking of this in terms of a bug.

Quick glance through the log, this item went through a BUNCH of iterations. At the point when three blows were added it went from Power 151 to Power -2818, which is definitely a problem. Every now and then an iteration would make the power positive again, at which point it was rejected as too powerful. The final power is listed as -145, after 200 tries, with a mean of 227 and a variance of 15507. I think we have a rollover bug in the power calculations somewhere.
                            ________
                            CALIFORNIA MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARY
                            Last edited by Taha; August 14, 2011, 15:02.

Comment

• Magnate
                              Angband Devteam member
                              • May 2007

Magnate, I PM'd you a download link for the save and randart.log. This is all on Mac OS X. I would have reported it in a lot more detail, but I wasn't thinking of this in terms of a bug.

Quick glance through the log, this item went through a BUNCH of iterations. At the point when three blows were added it went from Power 151 to Power -2818, which is definitely a problem. Every now and then an iteration would make the power positive again, at which point it was rejected as too powerful. The final power is listed as -145, after 200 tries, with a mean of 227 and a variance of 15507. I think we have a rollover bug in the power calculations somewhere.
                              Yep - took me about five seconds to work it out once I saw the log: it got an inhibited power, and then had a load of subsequent calculations performed in its inhibited rating, which caused the overflow - and ended up leaving it with a legal rating!

The fix is reasonably simple - we just exit the function as soon as we apply INHIBIT_POWER.

Thanks for sending me the log. The fix should be in tomorrow's nightly.

Comment

• Estie
                                Veteran
                                • Apr 2008

So my prayers have been heard:

The Great Hammer of Epheleme (8d1) (+11,+5) (+9)
                                Dropped by a Novice priest at 2650 feet (level 53).

+9 wisdom, speed.
                                Slays animals.
                                Grants the ability to see invisible things.

Combat info:
                                1.1 blows/round.
                                With an additional 2 strength and 0 dex you would get 1.3 blows
                                With an additional 0 strength and 2 dex you would get 1.3 blows
                                Average damage/round: 36.2 vs. animals, and 26 vs. others.

Radius 1 light.

Yep. My _priest_ found this, unbelievably isnt it.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎