Apprentice
    • Dec 2019

I sure haven't gotten anything better than that. That's awesome

Comment

• Sky
      Veteran
      • Oct 2016

i didnt need it, but, Wrath Of God.
      Best drop i actually could use, Trident Of Wrath from Boldor on DL4 i think.
      "i can take this dracolich"

Comment

• DudeMan
        Rookie
        • Jul 2019

Originally posted by Sky
        i didnt need it, but, Wrath Of God.
        Best drop i actually could use, Trident Of Wrath from Boldor on DL4 i think.
        I didn't know one could get 'special' from Farmer Maggot .

Back in the day when I still cheated I edited all the towns folk to drop:
        Code:
        flags:DROP_4 | DROP_GOOD | DROP_GREAT | ONLY_ITEM
        I did not get a single 'special' item even thought I would spam for great starting gear for hours. Because of this I started to think 'special' was reserved to dungeon.

Comment

• Sky
          Veteran
          • Oct 2016

i think the way it works is- allegedly - ANY item has a 0.1% chance of being an artifact. This leads me to believe that there is a % chance that the drop is of a higher quality than it start with.
          The difference is that, let's say, if a mob has DROP_GOOD all drops start as Good, if it has DROP_SUPERB then they start with superb, and every drop needs to go through each % roll as if it were a gate, so a Good drop must first roll unknown% to be Great, IF it is Great then rolls for Superb, etc.

Comment

• Cryomaniac
            Swordsman
            • Jan 2022

From what I recall, artifacts won't get generated in town/wilderness areas (for Zang variants); this doesn't apply to random artifacts in Hengband - I've had Maggot drop randarts on several occasions there.

Comment

• DudeMan
              Rookie
              • Jul 2019

Originally posted by Sky
              i think the way it works is- allegedly - ANY item has a 0.1% chance of being an artifact. This leads me to believe that there is a % chance that the drop is of a higher quality than it start with.
              The difference is that, let's say, if a mob has DROP_GOOD all drops start as Good, if it has DROP_SUPERB then they start with superb, and every drop needs to go through each % roll as if it were a gate, so a Good drop must first roll unknown% to be Great, IF it is Great then rolls for Superb, etc.
              Still despite of a humongous amount of items generated in a span of multiple years, not a single artifact. One single visit to town would yield maybe 30 items. After checking these items I would pop down to dungeons and immediately up again. Rinse and repeat for a few hours until I had 'excelent' items in each slot. I don't know how many items were created but it must be in the hundreds of thousands as I have been playing Angband from the early 90's.

My empirical observations suggest that I am right, but maybe developers can shed some light to this matter?

Comment

• Cryomaniac
                Swordsman
                • Jan 2022

If I'm reading the source code right, artifacts won't get generated in town, and this generally should apply to other *band variants as well.

Comment

• Sky
                  Veteran
                  • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Cryomaniac
                  If I'm reading the source code right, artifacts won't get generated in town, and this generally should apply to other *band variants as well.
                  i cant read the code so i dont know. I imagine this is a separate limitation? as in, a line of code that essentially says "if DL=TOWN, do not roll for artifacts".
                  i never had an artifact generated in town, although the occurrence of that would be already super-rare even without that code. I have had artifacts generated on DL1, but even that is super rare.

Comment

• wobbly
                    Prophet
                    • May 2012

Originally posted by Sky

i cant read the code so i dont know. I imagine this is a separate limitation? as in, a line of code that essentially says "if DL=TOWN, do not roll for artifacts".
                    i never had an artifact generated in town, although the occurrence of that would be already super-rare even without that code. I have had artifacts generated on DL1, but even that is super rare.
                    Code:
                    /* No artifacts in the town */
                    if (!player->depth) return false;
                    So to generate an ego it needs to pass these checks:
                    • Good ( 33 + level % or drop_good)
                    • Great ( 30% or drop_great)
                    Then if its an ego it gets a number of rolls to be an artifact. 1 roll (2 rolls for forced_great) + 2 for unique/acquirement, again it has to pass 2 checks
                    • out of depth check
                    • rarity check

Comment

• Sky
                      Veteran
                      • Oct 2016

Originally posted by wobbly

Code:
                      /* No artifacts in the town */
                      if (!player->depth) return false;
                      So to generate an ego it needs to pass these checks:
                      • Good ( 33 + level % or drop_good)
                      • Great ( 30% or drop_great)
                      Then if its an ego it gets a number of rolls to be an artifact. 1 roll (2 rolls for forced_great) + 2 for unique/acquirement, again it has to pass 2 checks
                      • out of depth check
                      • rarity check
                      i mean, it's not a tragedy that you can't find artifacts in town. I've had ego daggers dropped by mercenaries before, although i generally dont try killing them because they can hurt a CL1.

Comment

• Ugramoth
                        Adept
                        • Mar 2017

Maybe not as good as +6 speed but one time the first thing I meet in brand new game was Farmer Maggot and he dropped a dragon scale mail. Activation could wipe out just about anything for quite a few levels.

Comment

• DudeMan
                          Rookie
                          • Jul 2019

Originally posted by Ugramoth
                          Maybe not as good as +6 speed but one time the first thing I meet in brand new game was Farmer Maggot and he dropped a dragon scale mail. Activation could wipe out just about anything for quite a few levels.
                          Early dragon scale mail is always great. Most of early uniques drop like flies and the ones that don't die immediately are seriously hurt.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎