X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nomad
    Knight
    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Therem Harth
    Wait a minute, where is v4 on GitHub? Is it the master (3.4.0-dev) branch?
    It was linked in the "new direction for Angband" thread - it's here.

Comment

• Djabanete
      Knight
      • Apr 2007

Examining Soft Leather Boots of Sorcery in a shop:

"This item's known properties are: of Sorcery."

What the heck does that mean?

I think it does nothing, I just bought a cloak of sorcery for the same cost as a regular cloak.
      Last edited by Djabanete; October 24, 2011, 22:44.

Comment

• Therem Harth
        Knight
        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Nomad
        It was linked in the "new direction for Angband" thread - it's here.
        D'oh! Sorry. And darn, that's a minute of my life I just wasted.

Comment

• Magnate
          Angband Devteam member
          • May 2007

Originally posted by Nomad
          I also had a drop from a unique pseudo-ID on pickup as {splendid}, and when I inspected it, discovered I already knew it was Orcish, without having found any other Orcish items. (Unless the race-specific affixes are supposed to be apparent on pickup?)
          Well they are, but we're not there yet - the fact that it happened in this instance is happy accident rather than design. The {splendid} is because it adds to digging, which is an obvious flag. The instant-ID is because the affix has only obvious mods (obvious flags or modifications to dice or weight). At the moment racial or material affixes which give non-obvious bonuses (like +hit or +dam) will not instant-ID.

The earlier Slay Animal instant-ID is a bug though, because that's a non-obvious flag. I've had a quick look and I can't see why it's being IDd, so it's going to take some serious debugging.
          EDIT: Got it! It's only happening with +0,+0 items, because they pseudo as "average" and that auto-IDs anything. Fixing now.
          Last edited by Magnate; October 24, 2011, 23:01.
          "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• Magnate
            Angband Devteam member
            • May 2007

Originally posted by Djabanete
            Examining Soft Leather Boots of Sorcery in a shop:

"This item's known properties are: of Sorcery."

What the heck does that mean?
            It means it adds to +AC, but as a result of magic rather than workmanship. I'm about to rename it to Of Protection and add some descriptive text. I should be ready to post a new version tomorrow (it's getting a bit late for tonight).
            "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• Jungle_Boy
              Swordsman
              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by takkaria
              Torches are now radius one and unrefuellable. Find a lantern if you want more light!
              The description of torches needs to be fixed to remove the "can be used to refill other torches" bit then.

Just a few notes from scanning stores. Bolts description looks like it has "A short" twice, and ammunition no longer has breakage info, does that mean it does not break anymore? I notice that main gauche has it's AC bonus listed as [3, +0] while parrying weapons simply list it as [+1], does this mean main gauches can be affected by enchant armor scrolls? please? Also as mentioned, and I think magnate mentioned he fixed or was fixing it, affixes of +0 should probably not show up.

"of Resist Cold" is showing up twice in my ego knowledge menu lists. Iron Spikes still have a material in the name

Excited to be trying this stuff out, I like the flavor created by the affixes.
              Last edited by Jungle_Boy; October 24, 2011, 23:36.
              My first winner: http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=10138

Comment

• Obsilium
                Rookie
                • Apr 2007

Playing around in debug mode, clearing each level and looking at loot dropped. (Using the second build from buildbot)
                On level 3, a Poltergeist dropped the Elfstone, which was very interesting.
                Some affixes do not appear in the title even when fully identified, Golfimbul dropped a Cheap Lucerne Hammer which turned out to be Silver as well, but I needed to inspect the item to figure that out.
                Finally, I found a Long Bow of Accuracy on level 21, but it should have been considered a Long Bow of Instant Death, seeing as it was +15, +255 (!).
                I also saw some small grammatical problems which came up if an affix appeared twice, the description tried to repeat itself in one case.

Comment

• sethos
                  Apprentice
                  • Oct 2011

Must... Have... Bow...

Guess I'm gonna have to hurry if I want to help, eh?
                  You should save my signature. It might be worth something someday.

Comment

• Jungle_Boy
                    Swordsman
                    • Nov 2008

I really like the changes to torches, gives the first part of the game some more threat and feeling, this is also my first game with the reduced stack size and I think I like that change also. I also found a 'Golden' affix that did not show up in the name only in the description, perhaps this is on purpose.

Arrows of Enchantment (+0,+2) and Sharp Arrows of Enchantment (+0,+2) do not stack...I take that back, they stack fine and all become Sharp Arrows of Enchantment, it was the stack size thing that made me think they didn't stack.

I have not noticed the damage problems others have mentioned but that's because I found Nimthanc and the very first level
                    My first winner: http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=10138

Comment

• fizzix
                      Prophet
                      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Obsilium
                      Playing around in debug mode, clearing each level and looking at loot dropped. (Using the second build from buildbot)
                      On level 3, a Poltergeist dropped the Elfstone, which was very interesting.
                      Some affixes do not appear in the title even when fully identified, Golfimbul dropped a Cheap Lucerne Hammer which turned out to be Silver as well, but I needed to inspect the item to figure that out.
                      Finally, I found a Long Bow of Accuracy on level 21, but it should have been considered a Long Bow of Instant Death, seeing as it was +15, +255 (!).
                      I also saw some small grammatical problems which came up if an affix appeared twice, the description tried to repeat itself in one case.
                      yeah, we're still working on these things. Magnate's idea was to somewhat arbitrarily choose the best affix and use that only. If only for the reason that you don't get Sharp Diamond elven broad sword of slay troll, slay orc, and acid. So we obviously need some work on this part.

+to-hit and +to-damage is by far the hardest part to balance. I need to update wiz-stats to better track these things so I can start tracking them.

Comment

• Magnate
                        Angband Devteam member
                        • May 2007

Originally posted by fizzix
                        yeah, we're still working on these things. Magnate's idea was to somewhat arbitrarily choose the best affix and use that only. If only for the reason that you don't get Sharp Diamond elven broad sword of slay troll, slay orc, and acid. So we obviously need some work on this part.

+to-hit and +to-damage is by far the hardest part to balance. I need to update wiz-stats to better track these things so I can start tracking them.
                        I just pushed an update which fixes a bunch of bugs, including the instant-ID of +0,+0 weapons with slays, and the +255 damage bug.

Yes, each item will only show one prefix and one suffix, even if it has four of each. There's no real way around that, as listing them all in the item name would get clunky. But if you 'I'nspect the item, it shows you all the affixes (that you know).

I'll do the torches description tomorrow, and see if I can fix the bug with Resist Cold showing up twice (that's a new one).

Comment

• Nomad
                          Knight
                          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by fizzix
                          You could indicate extra, unlisted affixes with an asterisk, e.g.

Cheap Lucerne Hammer (just Cheap) VS
                          Cheap Lucerne Hammer* (Cheap plus at least one other)

Or maybe better yet, use a pval for the number of affixes:

Sharp Broad Sword of Acid *2* (just a Sharp Broad Sword of Acid) VS
                          Sharp Broad Sword of Acid *6* (Sharp Diamond elven broad sword of slay troll, slay orc, and acid)

(Though redundant duplicate affixes might pose a problem there - my current shield has the "of Resist Acid" affix twice, for example.)

Comment

• bio_hazard
                            Knight
                            • Dec 2008

Seems like multiple slays should just be "of Slaying"

with multiple Resist Acids- are permanent resistances going to stack now? If not, then there's no reason to generate a shield of resist acid of resist acid. If they are, then I'd suggest "Resist Acid" for x1 and "RESIST acid" (or *Resist* acid ) (x2)

Comment

• sethos
                              Apprentice
                              • Oct 2011

Found a Rusty Main Gauche, not I'ded on Pickup or wield, though I'd have thought it would be, it also ID'ed as (Magical), should that be poor or cursed?
                              *edit* Did Inspect it, and found that it had no other qualities.

Also, "Iron" weapons are all Slay Demon? My Iron Sling shots can now whomp Demons! but... that wouldn't be readily apparent, right?
                              and Iron is known upon pickup.

Also got a scimitar that had of enchantment, Iron, and of enchantment. had a +5 to damage and slays demons. It'll hang in my house a little while.

*Edit Again*
                              Hobbitish is not ID'ing upon pickup, as I Believe it should.
                              *And Again*
                              And now I've had a sword fully ID as of enchantment on it's own- It does show as Average when I squelch it though. (Since it has a +0,+0, I imagine.
                              Last edited by sethos; October 25, 2011, 02:50.
                              You should save my signature. It might be worth something someday.

Comment

• Magnate
                                Angband Devteam member
                                • May 2007

Originally posted by bio_hazard
                                Seems like multiple slays should just be "of Slaying"

with multiple Resist Acids- are permanent resistances going to stack now? If not, then there's no reason to generate a shield of resist acid of resist acid. If they are, then I'd suggest "Resist Acid" for x1 and "RESIST acid" (or *Resist* acid ) (x2)
                                They might one day stack, but not yet. At the moment, allowing the game to pick affixes the object already has is a balancing mechanism, making it less likely that items with lots of affixes will be overly powerful.

@sethos: I think most of the ID issues you observed were fixed in the version I pushed last night (e8bac87). Grateful for confirmation of any which remain.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎