• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sideways
    Knight
    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by budswell
    Related to GrimaTheBold's question:
    Am I right in assuming a "Ring of Wizardy (+0,+16)" add damage to spells?
    But my current character is a "breath" Dragon, and there is no difference in the displayed damage of either my 'm' or 'U' breaths.

Is it a display issue, or do rings of Wizardy not help dragons.
    If the latter - is it because they are non-book spells? Or is it because they are fixed damage spells as opposed to XdY?
    Yes, rings of Wizardry add damage to spells. I think thematically it doesn't work here because dragon breaths aren't really wizardry; but really, where it works and where it doesn't isn't always thematic. Best way to tell is to look at the displayed damage and see if it's affected.
    The Complainer worries about the lack of activity here these days.

Comment

• LordL
      Rookie
      • Jul 2021

So I just got this ring as a quest reward.

Is it just useless?
      Attached Files

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
        Veteran
        • Jan 2012

As discussed on angband.live, probable Es or Dm bonuses won't if you're non-mage (That's what ster said)
        My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
          Veteran
          • Jan 2012

Destruction apparently works in Plains of Oz.

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

Comment

• Sideways
            Knight
            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by HugoTheGreat2011
            Destruction apparently works in Plains of Oz.
            As of 7.1.salmiak, the rule for forest dungeons (i.e. Witch Wood and Plains of Oz) is that destruction works, but its power is reduced and the effects on terrain are somewhat modified.

Comment

• GrimaTheBold
              Apprentice
              • Jan 2020

Is level feeling scaled for the size of the dungeon level? Will a large level have a higher level feeling than a small level if each has the same density of monsters & items?

Comment

• Sideways
                Knight
                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by GrimaTheBold
                Is level feeling scaled for the size of the dungeon level? Will a large level have a higher level feeling than a small level if each has the same density of monsters & items?
                Level feelings are not scaled by size, so yes, a large level would have a higher feeling in that situation.

Comment

• grodrigues
                  Rookie
                  • Apr 2014

Frg in wine

Since some time ago I could not get Frog to work on wine (compiling from source is something of a hassle, having to track down dependencies and what not). So just in case someone is having the same problem as me: somehow, some of the files/folders had dates set to the future, something like the 24th century. I do not know if this is a problem with the win package, or I somehow botched things up (since I am not a time traveler, I cannot fathom how I could have though). Wine was complaining loudly, not finding said files/folders. Just:
                  Code:
                  touch ./*
                  in the Frog root folder and you are good to go.

Comment

• Jake Hershey
                    Rookie
                    • Jan 2022

Brand "Weapon of Order"?

HI! I just found cutlass "Divine Wind" and its flags are "Slay Orc" and "Weapon of Order". Can anyone tell me what Weapon of Order means? When I whack things with it, I don't see anything different in the text (like with a Wild Blade)
                    Thanks!!

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                      Veteran
                      • Jan 2012

This occurred recently:

[16:12] HugoV4: For rodent: I'm playing a Red Draconian Karrot Disciple and my ability to use Teleport staves is better than Teleport Scrolls...
                      [16:13] HugoV4: Teleport staff with 7 charges: 2.7% fail
                      [16:13] HugoV4: Teleportation Scroll: 4.4% fail
                      [16:14] HugoV4: Why would the staff version have a lower failure rate
                      [16:14] HugoV4: This Karrot Disciple has INT of 16

Comment

• Sideways
                        Knight
                        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Jake Hershey
                        HI! I just found cutlass "Divine Wind" and its flags are "Slay Orc" and "Weapon of Order". Can anyone tell me what Weapon of Order means? When I whack things with it, I don't see anything different in the text (like with a Wild Blade)
                        Thanks!!
                        Weapons of Order usually aren't particularly great, the only actual difference between them and non-Order weapons (apart from the unusual dice) is that weapons of Order don't roll any criticals.

Comment

• Gokudera ElPsyCongroo
                          Rookie
                          • Jan 2022

Do you have plans to add more prefabs/templates/vaults and level generation tweaks in a future version?
                          I tried to compare variants to settle on which I should play and loved the incredible variety and QoL (you have my thanks for the extensive help files) of Frogcomposband! But I got to admit that prefabs from Composband and generators from Vanilla (and even dungeon features from Unangband and FAangbang) seem like very exciting additions that I'd love to see sprinkles of in your variant.

Comment

• Sideways
                            Knight
                            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Gokudera ElPsyCongroo
                            Do you have plans to add more prefabs/templates/vaults and level generation tweaks in a future version?
                            Maybe (especially the level generation tweaks); but mostly, I would expect new additions on these lines to be the byproduct of other new content (like back when new wilderness templates were added to go with the new snow/ice terrain, or when Atlantis got its own level generation rules). I certainly won't copy all the additions from Composband without major cuts and edits; seem to recall more of them than I'd like being easy sources of top-end loot.

Comment

• Gokudera ElPsyCongroo
                              Rookie
                              • Jan 2022

Originally posted by Sideways
                              but mostly, I would expect new additions on these lines to be the byproduct of other new content
                              Argh, I agree that's a very valid point. Templates and vaults wouldn't make sense in that case, buuut maybe interactable elements (like switches, pillars, fountains of random effects… like mutations! ,treasure in diverse type of bushes, roaming npcs providing services, in-dungeon shops, basically all of TGGW's unpredictable and exciting interactables) could be a pretext for adding some of Unangband's work around exploration variety, dynamic room descriptions…

Super good to see that, even though your variant is probably the largest I've seen, you care about adding content that is meaningful and engaging (your class/race/monster selection and differenciation along with its precise and flavorful explicative text in help files is the best I've seen in any roguelike). So, thrilled to see what you'll come up with next… and impatient to die to a iconic unique as a randomly choosen Frankenstein character again

Comment

• Sideways
                                Knight
                                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Gokudera ElPsyCongroo
                                Argh, I agree that's a very valid point. Templates and vaults wouldn't make sense in that case, buuut maybe interactable elements (like switches, pillars, fountains of random effects… like mutations! ,treasure in diverse type of bushes, roaming npcs providing services, in-dungeon shops, basically all of TGGW's unpredictable and exciting interactables) could be a pretext for adding some of Unangband's work around exploration variety, dynamic room descriptions…

Super good to see that, even though your variant is probably the largest I've seen, you care about adding content that is meaningful and engaging (your class/race/monster selection and differenciation along with its precise and flavorful explicative text in help files is the best I've seen in any roguelike). So, thrilled to see what you'll come up with next… and impatient to die to a iconic unique as a randomly choosen Frankenstein character again
                                In-dungeon shops are already a thing, and often have much better items than normal shops (They are not exclusive to FrogComposband, they're inherited from its ancestors.)

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎