X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sideways
    Knight
    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by chem
    is there a spoiler webpage somewhere for the artifact rewards / guardians of all the dungeons and quests?
    Don't think there's one for FrogComposband, unless you count the edit files those things are actually specified in. nikheizen had a spoiler list for (an old version of) PosChengband here but by now it's really out of date, especially the old quest lines and rewards bear very little resemblance to what's currently in Frog. But you can find out who the dungeon bosses are just by going there and diving a bit

what's changed the most since, uh, chengband?
    Everything, in most cases several times. The biggest single change to previously existing content might have been the complete redesign of magic devices in PosChengband (devices now have mana and recharge on their own) but there are too many other major changes to list. The Frog changelog runs to ~100K of text and that's only since Composband, a lot of really dramatic changes happened between Chengband and PosChengband but unfortunately there's no proper changelog for those.
    The Complainer worries about the lack of activity here these days.

Comment

• chem
      Adept
      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Sideways
      Don't think there's one for FrogComposband, unless you count the edit files those things are actually specified in. nikheizen had a spoiler list for (an old version of) PosChengband here but by now it's really out of date, especially the old quest lines and rewards bear very little resemblance to what's currently in Frog. But you can find out who the dungeon bosses are just by going there and diving a bit

Everything, in most cases several times. The biggest single change to previously existing content might have been the complete redesign of magic devices in PosChengband (devices now have mana and recharge on their own) but there are too many other major changes to list. The Frog changelog runs to ~100K of text and that's only since Composband, a lot of really dramatic changes happened between Chengband and PosChengband but unfortunately there's no proper changelog for those.
      hey, thanks.

yeah, I was mostly referring to changes specifically in the dungeon guardians/rewards or quests. I understand that the game, as a whole, has changed a lot. I already had a very rude surprise with poison counters!

I'm playing a spectre berserker with always-unusual-rooms ('wacky'). Just a race/class/setting combo I really enjoy -- it makes for exciting games. I usually play 'lazy' personality, for the items, but the new 'mundane' personality works well with this due to antimagic so I'm giving that a shot.

Comment

• Sideways
        Knight
        • Nov 2008

hey, thanks.

yeah, I was mostly referring to changes specifically in the dungeon guardians/rewards or quests.
        Still "everything"; but for dungeons you can use nikheizen's old-Pos list as a starting point and add the following changes:

- There are a number of new dungeons, and some dungeons that previously had no bottom guardians now do have one; the only remaining dungeons with no bottom guardians are Anti-melee and Anti-magic
        - Stronghold was replaced with a pair of new starter dungeons
        - Orc Cave is deeper now and has a new, much tougher boss who summons orcs
        - Icky Cave is a lot shallower now and has a different boss
        - Smaug now drops the Arkenstone instead of the book 3
        - Forest was replaced with Witch Wood, and the book 3 was moved there
        - Tiamat now drops a MHDSM
        - There will be more major changes to the dungeon list in the next release

The game strongly encourages killing dungeon bosses, although it is by no means necessary to do them all.

Quests... so much new stuff and so many changes that you can pretty much forget everything you once knew.

Comment

• budswell
          Adept
          • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Sideways
          Shops restock just as they normally do, so all shops except the Black Market can be rest/sleepscummed, and essentials like !csw, ?phasedoor and ?teleportation are guaranteed at birth. But since you're limited to a single Temple, rather than having the Temples of six or seven towns to choose from, situations where you cannot buy an item anywhere are more likely.

If you don't want to sleepscum (and I don't want to encourage sleepscumming...) you can always pay to have the shop inventory shuffled. I don't think I've ever needed to shuffle for !csw in coffee-break mode, but I have shuffled for Phase Door a couple times because I kept dumping it to get room for other loot and it didn't generate fast enough in the Alchemy Shop to support that habit.
          OK, thanks. I'll keep testing/trying. The reason I mentioned temple explicitly is I have had no trouble sleep-scumming staves from the magic shop (6). But when I try to sleep-scum the temple, the stock does not appear to change (admittedly I am focussed on potions, not entire stock). But I give up after a day or two.

I'll be a bit more thorough in my testing/observations and see if it is (most likely) just me being dumb.

Edit: OK, so I was just being impatient. I sleep-scummed for 2 days, and no changes to temple stock but were changes to both (6) and (1). So I sleep-scummed for another 2 days (so 4 in total) and now temple has new stock too. Sorry about that, just me being dumb and impatient.
          Last edited by budswell; June 30, 2020, 03:07.
          http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-browse.php?e=budswell
          http://te4.org/user/1471/characters

Comment

• chem
            Adept
            • Sep 2007

hmm, is self-knowledge available as a service in any town?

I looked around and couldn't find it

Comment

• Sideways
              Knight
              • Nov 2008

hmm, is self-knowledge available as a service in any town?

I looked around and couldn't find it
              No, so Potions of Self Knowledge are worth storing at home unless you get self knowledge from a spell. The biclops in the Thalos Arena drops a guaranteed potion of Self Knowledge.

Comment

• Bucephalus
                Apprentice
                • Jul 2016

Untried wands you start to zap before backing out still get the "tried" tag.

Sexy scouts take a stealth penalty, but it doesn't actually kick in until level 50.

Can all monsters appear as statues? I've encountered statues of a chest mimic mimics, but never found a statue of a chest mimic mimic statue.

Also, please add statues of a chest mimic mimic statue mimics and statues of a chest mimic mimic statue mimic statues, and so on forever.

Comment

• Thraalbee
                  Knight
                  • Sep 2010

For fun I've made a hack that helps go through the loot of a character dump. Basically you toggle flags on what to include in the results window and you can apply a filter on top of it. That's it. The first version is available below and I will do some finetuning and testing + bugfix but otherwise not much more. Maybe I'll add the option of using logical OR as well.

Comment

• Sideways
                    Knight
                    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Bucephalus
                    Untried wands you start to zap before backing out still get the "tried" tag.
                    Confirmed, not entirely sure if that's a problem though. On staves and rods you can actually learn things from a cancelled use, and while I don't think this is currently the case for any wand, I don't think it's bad to treat wands the same as other devices.

Sexy scouts take a stealth penalty, but it doesn't actually kick in until level 50.
                    Prior to CL 50 sexy scouts are aggravating, which is much worse than having the penalty; so I think this is okay.

Can all monsters appear as statues? I've encountered statues of a chest mimic mimics, but never found a statue of a chest mimic mimic statue.
                    Yes, all monsters can appear as statues; statues of statues of chest mimic mimics are very rare, simply because there are 1300+ races to pick from (so statues of any specific monster are very rare), but it is possible for them to generate.

Comment

• budswell
                      Adept
                      • Jun 2008

So playing my first ever sorcerer.
                      -50 AC ? Wow, so basically assume I will always get hit so keep away right?
                      Also, all armour (even just boots) "encumbers movement". What is the actual effect of this. Worth copping for resistences etc?
                      What is actual penalty of icky wield? Worth copping for weapons with good resists/abilities?
                      http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-browse.php?e=budswell
                      http://te4.org/user/1471/characters

Comment

• Sideways
                        Knight
                        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by budswell
                        So playing my first ever sorcerer.
                        -50 AC ? Wow, so basically assume I will always get hit so keep away right?
                        Yes, since sorcerers have by far the weakest melee of any class, they have no incentive not to keep away in any case.

Also, all armour (even just boots) "encumbers movement". What is the actual effect of this. Worth copping for resistences etc?
                        It's an SP reduction; the lower the total weight of the armour worn by the sorcerer, the more SP the sorcerer has. While sorcerers really, really need SP, they do need resistances and bonuses even more; so favor light armour (such as robes) but don't try to fight naked.

What is actual penalty of icky wield? Worth copping for weapons with good resists/abilities?
                        Depends on class. On sorcerers I think it just nukes the melee completely, but since sorcerer melee is unworkable in any case I'd expect that to not be a big issue.

Comment

• lea2501
                          Apprentice
                          • Dec 2019

Hi! i was trying to compile it under Arch Linux, for dependencies it state i need:

Code:
                              $ sudo apt-get install autoconf gcc libc6-dev libncursesw5-dev libx11-dev
                          When when i run the "./compile" step it says:

Code:
                          -- Frontends --
                          - Curses                                  No; missing libraries
                          I have installed the "core/ncurses" package, but i could not find the "libncursesw5" one.

Code:
                          $ pacman -Ss libncurses
                          core/ncurses 6.2-1 [instalado]
                              System V Release 4.0 curses emulation library
                          Any advice to compile it with ncurses interface? Thanks!

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                            Veteran
                            • Jan 2012

Try this one:
                            My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• lea2501
                              Apprentice
                              • Dec 2019

Originally posted by HugoTheGreat2011
                              Thank you so much! it compiled flawlessly

Code:
                              -- Frontends --
                              - Curses                                  Yes

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                                Veteran
                                • Jan 2012

Glad to hear this is working successfully. And a +1 since this is evidence FCPB can be successfully compiled on ArchLinux. Let us know if there are any other ongoing problems
                                My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎