X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gwarl
    Administrator
    • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Bostock
    I'm hesitant to speak, as I speak too much in general, but I'll take the risk.

A game whose sole fanbase is its developer can take any direction the developer likes while still pleasing its entire fanbase.

Once a developer is determined to have a fanbase for their game beyond themselves, they give up some control…

I feel like Chris is refusing to make this decision and is trying to have his cake and eat it too.
    I disagree. He has very quietly made his variant available to the public after having been working on it alone for some time, hardly determination to have a fanbase.

I actually interpret that as gracious, and did not assume that the OP was Chris simply because it was their first post.

If nothing else I plan to study how the wilderness tile generation has been reworked in order to incorporate that into composband, and the recall points inside dungeons are an interesting idea.

I think this release was a positive thing and there's no need for anyone to feel affronted by it. Chris hasn't said a word and yet we're reading all kinds of things into a new version of a game that is by all rights his.

And by any rights frogcomposband players needn't feel threatened because they were players of earlier versions of poschengband, the forks are each their own animal in the same way that chengband was built upon the labour of a parade of previous developers.

Personally I am gad that the source code for this version has seen the light of day, and I say good for Chris for releasing it.

Comment

• Pete Mack
      Prophet
      • Apr 2007

Well said, Gwarl.

Comment

• debo
        Veteran
        • Oct 2011

Look, you all are talking about the wrong things. The thing we all need to know is: Does poschengband still have rockets?
        Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• Sideways
          Knight
          • Nov 2008

7.1.1 may not be to everybody's taste, but I think it's good that Chris is taking his game in a new direction, instead of having Frog/Compos/Pos all trying to fill the same niche and appeal to the same people. More variety gives players more options to pick from
          The Complainer worries about the lack of activity here these days.

Comment

• CyclopsSlayer
            Swordsman
            • Feb 2009

After spending a couple of hours in PCB 7.1.1 it is a bit of culture shock.
            I was surprised at the lack of Birth options but not surprised that Virtues are forced on. Personally I despise the Virtue system as it forces a specific playstyle or the player is 'punished'.

The lack of quests is annoying, but only for being spoiled by the trend in the last few years to add more and more of them. I'm a quest addict, lol.

Tried a Monk since it was mentioned that they had been reworked, but as of L16 the changes weren't terribly apparent.

No need to feel that 7.1.1 is offensive, don't like the changes? Don't play it. I find myself leaning towards the don't play it camp so far.

Comment

• Thraalbee
              Knight
              • Sep 2010

I'd say take what is good and be happy with that. If it is not to your taste go to the older release or a variant. In my view, all improvements to the roguelike code base are welcome even if not all changes will surive over time.

Comment

• Aszazin
                Scout
                • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Sideways
                7.1.1 may not be to everybody's taste, but I think it's good that Chris is taking his game in a new direction, instead of having Frog/Compos/Pos all trying to fill the same niche and appeal to the same people. More variety gives players more options to pick from
                Exactly my feeling about this release!

Comment

• Nick
                  Vanilla maintainer
                  • Apr 2007

Now updated on the Angband Variant Repository.
                  One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                  In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Gwarl
                    Administrator
                    • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Nick
                    Thanks, I was going to ask you to do this but had been slow updating faangband2 on angband live (it is there now and the wilderness is there too)

Comment

• Aszazin
                      Scout
                      • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Nick
                      Will the variant list here get an update some day? -> http://angband.oook.cz/variants.php?ordrd=1

The latest mentioned update is December 25, 2018 for Unangband.

Sometimes I like to try some new variant, but I like to pick one that's still actively worked on. That page is great to throw a dart at.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                        Veteran
                        • Jan 2012

I had been away from angband.live/angband/PCB-likes entirely for the past six weeks straight. November, 1 2019 marks day #1 of my own return. Now, I welcome christ's pleasant surprise
                        My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• wobbly
                          Prophet
                          • May 2012

Originally posted by HugoTheGreat2011
                          Now, I welcome christ's pleasant surprise
                          Hey I know you like PCB, but this seems a little excesive...

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                            Veteran
                            • Jan 2012

I did some test runs with PCB 7.1.1. It is quite different then how I used to remember it. Wilderness is like Zangband 2.7.x / Z+. It is kind of 'plain'. Knowing my playstyle and my reputation with Tonberries, I had to change to something else. Being a Hasty Archon Chaos-Warrior that hopefully rolls Hionhurn is enough to spice up the early-game to my style. So, the Hugostyle spirits live on!

I found a PCB 7.1.1 'bug':
                            The mountains in the far north are actually permanent and impassible but are called 'mountains' anyway. I found out the hard way as an Archon that has innate Levitation
                            Last edited by HugoVirtuoso; November 3, 2019, 00:19.
                            My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• dionysian
                              Apprentice
                              • Apr 2007

I'm giving this a shot. Haven't played any variants in quite some time. This is... a bit overwhelming. In a good way.

Playing a ranger. Get called a brute for attacking something in the dungeon. Back off, but it comes after me... I kill it. Now I'm out of touch with nature?

Is there an easy way to know what to leave alone? Or is it just a judgement call or trial and error?
                              Oh, Mr. Speaker, I had underestimated the tenderness of the feelings of the members opposite.
                              --Barney Frank

Comment

• wobbly
                                Prophet
                                • May 2012

It's not complete, but:

Nature is the worst with virtues. Animals include stuff like hydras & hounds. The fail rate is based around being neutral rather then nature itself, so if you find you are too good do some evil stuff & vis versa.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎