X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pisastrish
    Rookie
    • Oct 2019

Poschengband 7.1.1?

I'm coming back to angband variants after not having played in a couple years (after poschengband stopped being updated), but when I looked for the most recent update of poschengband, I found this site, which has Poschengband 7.1.1 uploaded on October 2 2019. I haven't seen any discussion of it though, so I wanted to make sure it was real and not a virus. Is that the creator's actual site?
  • CyclopsSlayer
    Swordsman
    • Feb 2009

Curious, no idea where that stands in the hierarchy. No idea if that is 'chris' back again.

These days Composband and Frogcomposband spun off out of the old Poschangband seem the most popular.

Comment

• MITZE
      Swordsman
      • Jan 2017

While I don't know if that's the site (I don't have the URL saved from way back when, so I don't have anything to compare it to), the layout is awful similar to what I remember of it.

Also, the old posts (the ones several years) at least look legit.
      Everything you need to know about my roguelike playstyle:

I took nearly two years to win with a single character in PosChengband.

Comment

• Nick
        Vanilla maintainer
        • Apr 2007

Yep, that's it
        One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
        In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Letheka
          Rookie
          • Oct 2019

From comparing the source archive to the previous PCB release, if it's malware or a virus, someone put in an awful lot of work to make it look like a legitimate update. Pretty major changes to the world map and game progression, more Tolkien and less Zelazny, source code restructuring, a monk rework, etc.

Comment

• getter77
            Adept
            • Dec 2009

Quite a surprise---always nice to see such manifest.

Comment

• Gwarl
              Administrator
              • Jan 2017

Oh wow awesome stuff.

Comment

• wobbly
                Prophet
                • May 2012

Well I played it for about 10 minutes without my computer blowing up, so presumably safe. Also in true angband maintainer style he hasn't updated the help files yet.

Comment

• Gwarl
                  Administrator
                  • Jan 2017

Up on angband live. Played for about the same 10 mins as wobbly, things have changed but I don't have impressions yet (except that wilderness terrain generation is much easier on the eye).

Comment

• debo
                    Veteran
                    • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Gwarl
                    Up on angband live. Played for about the same 10 mins as wobbly, things have changed but I don't have impressions yet (except that wilderness terrain generation is much easier on the eye).
                    Comp time?!?!?!
                    Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• Gwarl
                      Administrator
                      • Jan 2017

Originally posted by debo
                      Comp time?!?!?!
                      We're doing all the new V classes one by one with two weeks each. We've done Warrior, Priest and Mage and are in the middle of Rogue, with Necromancer scheduled in time for Halloween.

Maybe next year?

Comment

• Aszazin
                        Scout
                        • Jun 2018

This looks so great!

Finally a new PCB!

Exploring dungeon level 7 right now. I don't know what happened to PCB, but I really like it a lot!
                        Last edited by Aszazin; October 22, 2019, 21:02.

Comment

• ster
                          Scout
                          • Jun 2019

It's shit, i'm the guy who won it first so I should know.
                          On the good side the randarts that function as stronger versions of ego items are great on both the "absolutely fucking busted" side and the "cool and thematic" side, and monsters following you up stairs has lead to some interesting tactical situations. M

On the bad side is how much of the spirit of poschengband has been lost. Forced progression. No way to skip the early levels, not even dragons in the wilderness. Having to slowly find the stairs on every floor of every (large) dungeon. The too-tedious-to-explore-slowly wilderness that's also just about capable of killing you with world 2 dracolisks or world 3 sky drakes. Wacky bullshit like tonberries and anime monsters are slowly being phased out entirely despite being iconic. Making AC even more important for whatever reason because of the monster damage averaging and criticals, even though it was more or less considered a "god stat" among elite players already. Chris fucking complained that healing staves were too available, so you get showered in welfare healing staves now instead. Not a single quest to break up the monotony of slowly and safely grinding to DL100, not a single exploit or broken character fixed since two years ago. Money situation regressed to pre-PCB levels - I had to buy out the black market to unload the 3 million I had endgame instead of a token bad reforge or gamble shop for consumables. The death of birth options, both difficulty based like interesting_rooms and ironman_nightmare and no_wilderness, as well as easy_lore.
                          Removing easy_lore is a special mix of stupidity and spite, to me. You're too stupid to realise that anyone worth their salt will play with r_info open and too spiteful to provide access to it ingame. (There's a tedium tax on waiting for psuedo-ID before 35, sure, but I have no problems with the removal of easy_ID otherwise even if I wanted to tear my hair out before autopsuedo). The list goes on, this is my fourth edit to add more to it even.

If Chris wants to show his face again and explain himself instead of posting this under a psuedononymous sockpuppet account because he's already ashamed of the two years he spent creating this garbage, he can be my guest.
                          Last edited by ster; October 25, 2019, 06:59.
                          gwarl 09/19/2019
                          I can't ban ster from my roguelikes site though like all other roguelike admins have because it lets him win

Comment

• Gwarl
                            Administrator
                            • Jan 2017

Originally posted by ster
                            Removing easy_lore is a special mix of stupidity and spite, to me.
                            and was also a 7.0.0 change

Comment

• Bostock
                              Swordsman
                              • Aug 2007

I'm hesitant to speak, as I speak too much in general, but I'll take the risk.

A game whose sole fanbase is its developer can take any direction the developer likes while still pleasing its entire fanbase.

Once a developer is determined to have a fanbase for their game beyond themselves, they give up some control…

I feel like Chris is refusing to make this decision and is trying to have his cake and eat it too.
                              So you ride yourselves over the fields and you make all your animal deals and your wise men don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎