• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Donald Jonker
    XP Bug: closing doors crashes the game.

I'm not sure if it happens all the time, because I only just recently made it to a dungeon period. I had been on a mission to get a high-elf warrior into a dungeon, and finally succeeded.

I'm pretty sure I hit "c" then "up". I believe it was the first time I've ever tried to close a door in FA. It crashed and then nuked my sav file. When I reloaded my save file, it started up character creation.
    Ow. Sorry.

I've pinpointed the problem. Closing *broken* doors invariably crashes the game. It happens in O-110u as well, but in that case it doesn't reset my sav file.
    It really looks like this is a general issue with the arrow keys in XP (and possibly Vista). I'll try to get a fix for this. Does your Ctrl+dir workaround work with this one?
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Donald Jonker
      Knight
      • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Nick
      It really looks like this is a general issue with the arrow keys in XP (and possibly Vista). I'll try to get a fix for this. Does your Ctrl+dir workaround work with this one?
      Further testing in O-110u (since I don't know an easy way to get to a door in FAA) shows:
      1. Ctrl+dir doesn't crash the game, but it merely makes you "spin around," i.e., tries tunneling through empty space.

2. Closing, opening, bashing, tunneling: in any case where you have to specify a direction, regardless of the direction, regardless of what's in the tile being acted upon, and regardless of numpad on or off, will eventually cause a crash.

*phew*

so hopefully for we XP users, either a fix or a DS port that reflects the beauty of the original will soon come available :P.

--J

EDIT: to clarify - only ctrl-T tunneling crashes. so far, ctrl-dir tunneling still hasn't produced a crash.
      Bands, / Those funny little plans / That never work quite right.
      -Mercury Rev

Comment

• Donald Jonker
        Knight
        • Jun 2008

I wonder whether there is an earlier release that doesn't have these problems.

Or else, would a linux emulator help? Has anyone tried this?

I daresay FAA is a thing of beauty, and I've developed quite a taste for it.
        -Mercury Rev

Comment

• Atarlost
          Swordsman
          • Apr 2007

You should be able to install linux into VMware, which has a free version. You'll be slower, but with a rougelike that's not the end of the world.
          One Ring to rule them all. One Ring to bind them.
          One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness interrupt the movie.

Comment

• Nick
            Vanilla maintainer
            • Apr 2007

I wonder whether there is an earlier release that doesn't have these problems.
            Another good question. This appears to have first cropped up in 0.3.4, so 0.3.3 or earlier should be an option.

This may be a long shot, but does having sound on or off make a difference? I am starting to suspect that the issue may be sounds, but if so it's probably deeper than whether or not it it switched on.

Comment

• Psi
              Knight
              • Apr 2007

Another good question. This appears to have first cropped up in 0.3.4, so 0.3.3 or earlier should be an option.

This may be a long shot, but does having sound on or off make a difference? I am starting to suspect that the issue may be sounds, but if so it's probably deeper than whether or not it it switched on.
              Interesting thought as I've never hit the issue on WinCE and I've compiled all the sound code out of that port.

Comment

• Nick
                Vanilla maintainer
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Psi
                Interesting thought as I've never hit the issue on WinCE and I've compiled all the sound code out of that port.
                Interesting but, I now believe, wrong. I've confirmed the 'close broken door' problem as far back as 0.3.0. A number of things changed from 0.2.3 to 0.3.0, but it seems the critical one was the pref-win.prf file. I now have what I think is a fix for this problem: replace the Keypad section of pref-win.prf with the following:
                Code:
                #
                # Keypad (/,*,7,8,9,-,4,5,6,+,1,2,3,0,.)
                #

A:/
                P:^_x35\r

A:*
                P:^_x37\r

A:7
                P:^_x47\r

A:8
                P:^_x48\r

A:9
                P:^_x49\r

A:-
                P:^_x4A\r

A:4
                P:^_x4B\r

A:5
                P:^_x4C\r

A:6
                P:^_x4D\r

A:+
                P:^_x4E\r

A:1
                P:^_x4F\r

A:2
                P:^_x50\r

A:3
                P:^_x51\r

A:0
                P:^_x52\r

A:.
                P:^_x53\r
                As an alternative, using the pref-win.prf file from 0.2.3 seems to work, too.

The new, faulty file was brought in with a bunch of other stuff from V3.0.8, and I still can't work out why it was OK there; I'm not sure that I care, though.

I also have a vague feeling that there was some .prf-related issue before 0.3.0, but I can't remember what it was, and this seems like a win, anyway.

Comment

• Donald Jonker
                  Knight
                  • Jun 2008

Brief testing in O-100u shows that changing the pref-win works! Shift-T tunneling also now checks out in FAA. Will let you know if anything goes awry (and will back up my save at the very suggestion of finding a door). Thanks for your replies!

--J

EDIT: a very minor problem surfaced. Pressing 'O' to check specialties requires pressing the key rapidly a few times before it works.
                  -Mercury Rev

Comment

• Donald Jonker
                    Knight
                    • Jun 2008

I'm kinda getting tired of the sound of my own voice... but:

I went through and did the changes line by line to pref-win. Now selecting items in lists: casting spell a, for example, don't execute the first time you press them. If you tap it a lot it'll eventually work. Same thing happens with commands "a"im, "O" specialty, "c"lose..

It didn't happen before the changes in pref-win and it doesn't happen with O110u.

--The Official FAAngband XP Guinea Pig

EDIT: I'm getting inconsistent results on this with different save files.

EDIT2: I started over with a fresh binary and fresh save files. Everything seems ok with the fix.
                    Last edited by Donald Jonker; October 16, 2008, 22:00.
                    -Mercury Rev

Comment

• Nick
                      Vanilla maintainer
                      • Apr 2007

--The Official FAAngband XP Guinea Pig
                      Careful - The Complainer was originally a real person...

I started over with a fresh binary and fresh save files. Everything seems ok with the fix.
                      OK, this is excellent news. Let me know if there are any more problems.

Comment

• Donald Jonker
                        Knight
                        • Jun 2008

Careful - The Complainer was originally a real person...
                        lol point well taken. although i meant to poke fun at myself for being so obsessive.

besides, in angband, isn't complaint just another word for love?
                        -Mercury Rev

Comment

• skunker
                          Rookie
                          • Aug 2007

After playing 0.2.3 for over a year on my WinMobile phone I finally upgraded to this version. I have noticed a bug that occurs during macro or keymap usage. I have a keymap to the "tab" key for maa*t which works great until I get a modifier at the bottom of the screen such as poisoned or gain new spell. If I push "tab" then it prompts me for which spell I want to cast instead of which target. It also does it if its a macro mapped to the keys fo the toolbar. Again, its the WinCE version on a ATT 8525.

Thanks for providing MANY hours of enjoyment!
                          ________
                          Last edited by skunker; July 12, 2022, 18:15.

Comment

• Nick
                            Vanilla maintainer
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by skunker
                            After playing 0.2.3 for over a year on my WinMobile phone I finally upgraded to this version. I have noticed a bug that occurs during macro or keymap usage. I have a keymap to the "tab" key for maa*t which works great until I get a modifier at the bottom of the screen such as poisoned or gain new spell. If I push "tab" then it prompts me for which spell I want to cast instead of which target. It also does it if its a macro mapped to the keys fo the toolbar.
                            That's an odd one. It sounds like the macro is getting interrupted after the second key, but I can't think why that would happen. You could try inscribing your first book @m0 and making the macro m0a*t, but I'm really guessing here.

Thanks for providing MANY hours of enjoyment!
                            Glad to see it in use. Do you use mainly keyboard, or stylus?

Comment

• skunker
                              Rookie
                              • Aug 2007

That's an odd one. It sounds like the macro is getting interrupted after the second key, but I can't think why that would happen. You could try inscribing your first book @m0 and making the macro m0a*t, but I'm really guessing here.
                              I'll give that a shot.

Glad to see it in use. Do you use mainly keyboard, or stylus?
                              Stylus and the mini pop-up software keyboard not the slide out keyboard.
                              ________
                              Last edited by skunker; July 12, 2022, 18:16.

Comment

• Psi
                                Knight
                                • Apr 2007

I don't think it will work. Targetting via macros has been broken since... erm... maybe when the menus became cursor driven. Interesting comment about the status area though - I don't remember noticing that when testing.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎