X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HugoVirtuoso
    Veteran
    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Fnord
    What's the deal with uploading html dumps from this version? Tried several times, so far nothing showed up.
    On the character sheet screen, use the '|' command and change the extension to .HTML and then that should do it.
    My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• Fnord
      Apprentice
      • May 2014

Originally posted by HugoTheGreat2011
      On the character sheet screen, use the '|' command and change the extension to .HTML and then that should do it.
      Well yeah. I know that, and it appears to upload fine - the result screen on http://angband.oook.cz/ladder.php looks like it parsed correctly. Only that the dump does not show in the ladder.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
        Veteran
        • Jan 2012

Btw, as for Skillmasters, Dagger-type weapons should be in a separate category than true Sword weapons similar to Weaponmasters. I will say that even if this will make Tonberry Skillmasters less fun in the future.
        Uh...I take that back. Better to keep Daggers in the same category as Swords, because Daggers are Swords (i.e. Blades) according to the Proficiency menu (press ~ then P) anyways. I'll keep quiet on that.

Btw, anyone noticed that there IS NO non-Staves (i.e. the one to utitlize non-staves Hafted weapons) Weaponmaster option?? Also, when playing as a Staffmaster, the ability to use Sabres is NOT capped as ![Unskilled] too!

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

Comment

• CyclopsSlayer
          Swordsman
          • Feb 2009

Well yeah. I know that, and it appears to upload fine - the result screen on http://angband.oook.cz/ladder.php looks like it parsed correctly. Only that the dump does not show in the ladder.
          wobbly posted one on the ladder today for 7.0 so he has it working it seems

Comment

• Fnord
            Apprentice
            • May 2014

Found the problem. I was assuming I could use the "Your character's name" field when uploading to override the actual character name. That doesn't seem to work, so it failed because I already got a higher level char with that name.

I guess there's no way to rename an existing character ingame?

Comment

• CyclopsSlayer
              Swordsman
              • Feb 2009

Found the problem. I was assuming I could use the "Your character's name" field when uploading to override the actual character name. That doesn't seem to work, so it failed because I already got a higher level char with that name.

I guess there's no way to rename an existing character ingame?
              In Outpost, check the building with the Thieves/Warg quests.

Comment

• Cold_Heart
                Adept
                • Mar 2012

I saw monster spells mentioned in changes list and got excited, but it looks like unresistable (except for one mutation and level 50 psion skill) dispel is still a thing.

Any plans on changing this?

Comment

• poschengbandplayer
                  Apprentice
                  • Apr 2014

I hate to be salty but I have to say this; I really don't like the course this variant has taken. Which is a shame, because, as it is seen from my username, it was my most favourite rogue-like.

The game as it is now, is unreasonably hard and encourages some playing styles over the others. I feel that insta kills, randomized energy, summoning and unresistable dispells made the game hard as is. In the last versions, monster damage has had been effectively doubled (the resistance nerf), my favourite artifact penalized with - 60% total health (crown of beruthiel), and now these recent changes.. Its really not a game for me anymore.

(plus, the removal of the clear -more prompt- option, nerfing of devices, nerfing of ring and amulet detection etc)

Of course chris, the variant maintainer, has the right to do with his variant as he pleases but if he wonders about the opinion of his audience; this is mine, and i am sure i am not the only one who thinks so.

I would stick to older versions but it'd feel like cheating. Im glad I could experience this variant in its alpha/beta stages when it wasn't so unreasonably punishing.

cheers.

Comment

• murphy
                    Adept
                    • Sep 2009

For vortex monster, the description of the "elemental explosion" power is broken.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                      Veteran
                      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Mocht
                      My last character died due to paralysis, even though he had 2 lots of free action
                      I won't be playing Poschengband again unless this is fixed
                      I'm afraid this is part of the new Free Action mechanic. ^What just happened with two layers of Free Action, is working as designed, per Chris. You're going to have to tolerate deaths in order to play PosChengband nowadays.

Comment

• CyclopsSlayer
                        Swordsman
                        • Feb 2009

I'm afraid this is part of the new Free Action mechanic. ^What just happened with two layers of Free Action, is working as designed, per Chris. You're going to have to tolerate deaths in order to play PosChengband nowadays.
                        This just seems to me to be actively trying to drive people away. Now, no matter how carefully you guard your self, one string of bad RNG rolls and Poof!

This may be what Chris wants, but to me, it has become more like convincing people to go to the gym, then when they exercise, you randomly Tase them so they fall face first into the treadmill, or drop that barbell onto their chest.

Comment

• debo
                          Veteran
                          • Oct 2011

I think it's more of an attempt to encourage you to fight at range. Unfortunately, ranged combat is boring af in pretty much every angband variant.

I haven't tried poscheng 7 yet but a similar mechanic exists in Sil and works well there. However, entrancement in Sil wears off after you take a single (highly disadvantaged) hit. I'm sure there are some balance changes that can be made to make this more fun.

I also think maybe people are missing the fact that poscheng 7 has a giant 'beta' tag next to it in the version number.
                          Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• debo
                            Veteran
                            • Oct 2011

Originally posted by poschengbandplayer
                            The game as it is now, is unreasonably hard and encourages some playing styles over the others. I feel that insta kills, randomized energy, summoning and unresistable dispells made the game hard as is. In the last versions, monster damage has had been effectively doubled (the resistance nerf), my favourite artifact penalized with - 60% total health (crown of beruthiel), and now these recent changes..
                            If by 'resistance nerf' you're talking about how higher resists work now, then I believe that this is false -- breath damage was also reduced across the board so that it was less likely to do huge enough damage to kill.

Beruthiel is just one artefact, and if you really want you can just edit it back. It's not like there's some huge competitive spirit in poscheng.

Instant kills and randomized energy were emblematic of poscheng from the beginning and I would hate to see them go.

I do think the recent changes have missed the boat a bit, though. Poscheng was always attractive to me because it was basically the spinal tap of angband variants -- all dials turned to 11. It was nice to have Sil, which was lean and mean, balanced on the other extreme with poscheng, which was huge and mean. Now it seems we're starting to get finnickier about how people play the game, which is sad.

I'm still optimistic, though. At worst, someone will fork from v5 or v6 and take it further in the super batshit crazy direction.
                            Last edited by debo; August 26, 2017, 22:09.
                            Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• Fnord
                              Apprentice
                              • May 2014

Why would a staff of simplicity have exactly the same fail rate as a normal staff of the same type (with more max charges)?

Comment

• Fnord
                                Apprentice
                                • May 2014

So the key for auto travel is not present on my keyboard. I want to rebind it through @8. What do I enter for the action/code?

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎