Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ekolis
    Knight
    • Apr 2007

Also, could you add an option to disable the spammy tutorialesque "This is a good firing position behind a (sic) cover" messages? They're fine on the first playthrough, and they might be fine even afterward if they only appeared when there was an actual monster that you got the bonus against (instead of any time you move adjacent to cover), but as it is, they're just annoying!
    You read the scroll labeled NOBIMUS UPSCOTI...
    You are surrounded by a stasis field!
    The tengu tries to teleport, but fails!

Comment

• Mikko Lehtinen
      Veteran
      • Sep 2010

Originally posted by ekolis
      No more CON? So hitpoints are detemined solely by race, class, and level?
      Yes. I think CON is a rather boring stat.

edit: I also think Hunter Instinct is a rather silly sounding name for a stat... maybe just call it Instinct (INS), and rename Intelligence to Schooling (as in Steamband) to avoid confusion with the abbreviations?
      I was trying to instill some predatory Thornwild flavour into the name. Since about half of the races are animalistic, the stats don't need to have human-centric names. Maybe.

I don't like Schooling. Wisdom would be better, but it has weird connotations.

Comment

• ekolis
        Knight
        • Apr 2007

How about Mind, as some of the Castlevania games use?

edit: and were you planning on giving humans a penalty to Hunter Instinct, then, so they're not a completely average race?

Comment

• ekolis
          Knight
          • Apr 2007

I do like the idea of having two physical stats, two mental stats, and one hybrid stat, though, instead of having three of each - gives each stat more meaning, and the hybrid stat makes things more interesting!

Comment

• Mikko Lehtinen
            Veteran
            • Sep 2010

How about Mind, as some of the Castlevania games use.
            Instinct and Mind could work, yes.

edit: and were you planning on giving humans a penalty to Hunter Instinct, then, so they're not a completely average race?
            Yes. Humans already have above average Presence -- they're diplomats, like in Master of Orion. I could also give them a slight bonus to Intelligence.

Most animalistic races would be good at Hunter Instinct, faeries and humans worse.

Comment

• Mikko Lehtinen
              Veteran
              • Sep 2010

Stats and skills would be shown on the character sheet like in the above example. Players would instantly see what effects the stats have.

The skills would be visible at all times on the left side of the screen. Whenever you use a skill successfully, it turns green; whenever you fail a check, it turns red.

All the skill rolls would be pure percentage rolls without modifiers.

Comment

• Scatha
                Swordsman
                • Jan 2012

Sounds interesting.

Scattershot comments:
                - Knowledge seems like a possible name for the Intelligence stat.
                - Strength for Parry looks a little weird to me. Seems like Dex and/or Instinct more natural fits.
                - On the other hand if you wanted you could put a minor health boost in Strength.

Comment

• Mikko Lehtinen
                  Veteran
                  • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Scatha
                  Sounds interesting.

Scattershot comments:
                  - Knowledge seems like a possible name for the Intelligence stat.
                  - Strength for Parry looks a little weird to me. Seems like Dex and/or Instinct more natural fits.
                  - On the other hand if you wanted you could put a minor health boost in Strength.
                  Knowledge is a good name!

Stat has only a minor effect on Parry, most of it comes from armor. I'm trying to turn AC into a simple percentage check. I have to modify things so that it will never raise above 70% or so.

Yes, Instinct for Parry perhaps... No, Dexterity. I can't decide.

Strength already affects how heavy armor you can wear, so it's better to use another stat. I don't want to have more than one stat affect any one skill, to keep things as simple as possible.

Comment

• Scatha
                    Swordsman
                    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Mikko Lehtinen
                    Stat has only a minor effect on Parry, most of it comes from armor. I'm trying to turn AC into a simple percentage check. I have to modify things so that it will never raise above 70% or so.
                    I don't know how much you want to consider other systems, but I think there's a lot to be said for armour by default absorbing damage rather than making you harder to hit. Sil and V4 both use this kind of system. It adds a little bit of complexity, but it makes more sense (how does mail help you parry?) and very naturally adds depth to the combat system, as great armour might keep you safe from a horde of weak foes while not helping much against a slow and hard hitting one.

If armour didn't impact on Parry scores this would also make it rather easier for you to stop those getting out of hand.

I don't want to have more than one stat affect any one skill, to keep things as simple as possible.
                    That's fair. I guessed otherwise because of ritual magic.

Comment

• fizzix
                      Prophet
                      • Aug 2009

By the way, I still owe a release announcement for 1.3.0, I'll get to it soon, I promise.

Comment

• Mikko Lehtinen
                        Veteran
                        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Scatha
                        I don't know how much you want to consider other systems, but I think there's a lot to be said for armour by default absorbing damage rather than making you harder to hit. Sil and V4 both use this kind of system. It adds a little bit of complexity, but it makes more sense (how does mail help you parry?) and very naturally adds depth to the combat system, as great armour might keep you safe from a horde of weak foes while not helping much against a slow and hard hitting one.

If armour didn't impact on Parry scores this would also make it rather easier for you to stop those getting out of hand.
                        I was just crafting an alternative system.

There are only four armor slots:

shield
                        helmet
                        body armor
                        boots

Getting hit in melee: Make a Shield Parry skill check to reduce the damage by your shield's rating. All monster melee attacks target specifically your head, torso, or legs; reduce damage by that equipment's rating. Snakes bite your legs, nasty orcs sometimes try to stun you by hitting your head.

Getting hit by a ranged weapon: Make a Jumping skill check to evade the attack completely. If the attack hits, choose an armor slot randomly, and reduce damage by that equipment's rating (if any).

Comment

• Starhawk
                          Adept
                          • Sep 2010

"Hunter Instinct" could be renamed "Cunning." I think that's the concept you're going for with that stat redesign.

Comment

• Mikko Lehtinen
                            Veteran
                            • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Starhawk
                            "Hunter Instinct" could be renamed "Cunning." I think that's the concept you're going for with that stat redesign.
                            It was named Cunning at some point.
                            Last edited by Mikko Lehtinen; October 18, 2012, 20:19.

Comment

• Starhawk
                              Adept
                              • Sep 2010

I just lost my best character to Azog. Man, it's really frustrating being a 300hp lizardman warrior with a dark-brand sword, and still getting chewed up in melee by a relatively wimpy unique. Azog was doing ~100hp a round to me.

Comment

• Mikko Lehtinen
                                Veteran
                                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Starhawk
                                I just lost my best character to Azog. Man, it's really frustrating being a 300hp lizardman warrior with a dark-brand sword, and still getting chewed up in melee by a relatively wimpy unique. Azog was doing ~100hp a round to me.
                                Ouch.

You usually can't beat uniques in Mist by playing fair. You need to confuse or blind them, and then keep striking critical hits at them. Bless, Heroism, and Berserk Strength all help in getting ambush criticals while the target is distracted.

Standing on a table might help.

I only drink Speed potions when I'm either about to die or fighting against a really tough unique. One potion of Speed might be all the buff you need.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎