• Show
Clear All
  • Antoine
    Ironband/Quickband Maintainer
    • Nov 2007

Ironband update

Hi

Just a quick note about progress on Ironband,

I'll soon release a 'v1' - no more betas. Changelist from the second beta is:

======================
    Put some options back in that were removed earlier, and changed a couple of defaults.
    Options are now displayed properly in the character dump.
    Walls are now visible under Vista.
    You can now run through sand.
    Poison still hurts a lot, but wears off quicker than before.
    Getting confused will occasionally make you hallucinate for a short period, if you don't have confusion or chaos resistance.
    If you try to teleport away a monster that resists nexus, it is not teleported but its energy is drained.
    For convenience, wands still give a mana bonus even when you cast the spell from a book.
    Glowing stones and glowing jewels can now have special properties.
    Various changes to edit files.
    Pseudo-id produces 'magic' instead of 'good', 'splendid' instead of 'excellent'
    Elemental rings no longer activate for resist element (since they already give immunity)
    Fixed bug where text appears on the wrong line during character generation
    Plural of 'knife' is 'knives'
    =======================

You can see that I am getting down to small fry - I think all the big changes I had intended to make are already done.

I am aware that there is some stuff I haven't managed to do, including fixing install/compile problems for some users on different platforms. Apologies for these platform issues and I'll certainly publish any fixes that come in from players.

On balance, I have also decided not to implement some of the features requested by players (for example, the request for a 'quickstart' option as per some other variants). But have done all the ones I agree with

Will do the release in the next few days - preferably sort out an irritating tileset issue first.

Cheers
    A.
    Ironband - http://angband.oook.cz/ironband/
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Antoine
    Walls are now visible under Vista.
    So how did you do that?
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Antoine
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Nick
      So how did you do that?
      Er, well, I haven't actually tested it, I just used a fix that I read on the internet - going into the font prf file and changing some /127s into /4s. I hope it works and no doubt someone will tell me if it doesn't...?

Comment

• zaimoni
        Knight
        • Apr 2007

Considering that the problem is "Vista is too smart to print unprintable characters", I doubt CTRL-D is going any further than ESC in printing.

The next release of Zaiband will deal with this by going back to #. It may be while (although I may force a 3.0.8 pre-alpha if V releases first, or if anyone actually notices the bugs I've fixed since 3.0.7.)
        Zaiband: end the "I shouldn't have survived that" experience. V3.0.6 fork on Hg.
        Zaiband 3.0.10 ETA Mar. 7 2011 (Yes, schedule slipped. Latest testing indicates not enough assert() calls to allow release.)
        Z.C++: pre-alpha C/C++ compiler system (usable preprocessor). Also on Hg. Z.C++ 0.0.10 ETA December 31 2011

Comment

• Antoine
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by zaimoni
          Considering that the problem is "Vista is too smart to print unprintable characters", I doubt CTRL-D is going any further than ESC in printing.
          Oh. A guy 'pgraham' posted on oook and said

"I used softy to discover that ascii code 4 is a dark grey block. In font-win.prf I replaced all instances of 1/127 (which should be light grey block but isn't for some reason) with 1/4 and the walls are now dark grey blocks in Vista."

Is that not right?

A.

Comment

• zaimoni
            Knight
            • Apr 2007

No, that does not work for Zaiband (which is using the new V fonts). However (contrary to my expectations), something *does* print.

It's just not a block. It's a pair of capital F's, the first one superscripted and the second one subscripted.
            Zaiband: end the "I shouldn't have survived that" experience. V3.0.6 fork on Hg.
            Zaiband 3.0.10 ETA Mar. 7 2011 (Yes, schedule slipped. Latest testing indicates not enough assert() calls to allow release.)
            Z.C++: pre-alpha C/C++ compiler system (usable preprocessor). Also on Hg. Z.C++ 0.0.10 ETA December 31 2011

Comment

• takkaria
              Veteran
              • Apr 2007

No, that does not work for Zaiband (which is using the new V fonts). However (contrary to my expectations), something *does* print.

It's just not a block. It's a pair of capital F's, the first one superscripted and the second one subscripted.
              That's the form-feed character.
              takkaria whispers something about options. -more-

Comment

• Matthias
                Adept
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by takkaria
                That's the form-feed character.
                I usually map mushrooms to this character so i don't confuse them with mushroom patches... FF... food found

Comment

• zaimoni
                  Knight
                  • Apr 2007

Ok (although the traditional ASCII code point for form-feed is CTRL-L)

Comment

• Antoine
                    • Nov 2007

Ok (although the traditional ASCII code point for form-feed is CTRL-L)
                    Hmm. Well, it seems like the Vista problem is not fixed then.

Has anyone got a better solution?

A.

Comment

• Antoine
                      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Antoine
                      Hmm. Well, it seems like the Vista problem is not fixed then.

Has anyone got a better solution?

A.
                      Hi

I'm no further ahead on this. Is anyone successfully playing NPP (or Ironband or Quickband) on Vista, without tiles? If so, how?

A.

Comment

• ekolis
                        Knight
                        • Apr 2007

Renaming the font-win.prf file so that Angband can't find it works for Vista users - the game then reverts to the default # sign for walls. I don't know of any solution that allows the game to work as intended in both Vista and XP, unfortunately.
                        You read the scroll labeled NOBIMUS UPSCOTI...
                        You are surrounded by a stasis field!
                        The tengu tries to teleport, but fails!

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡