X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • buzzkill
    Prophet
    • May 2008

Originally posted by pampl
    Does the same thing happen with the V nightlies? My guess is that this was caused by the change to confusion from an element that's breathed to just a status effect. I'll add it to the bug list.
    I don't play nightlies, but it does not happen in 3.2 proper. Anyone who does play nightlies can confirm or deny by simply switching to DVG graphics. The error message will appear immediately (but won't crash and shouldn't affect you game in any way).
    www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
    My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• Nick
      Vanilla maintainer
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by buzzkill
      I don't play nightlies, but it does not happen in 3.2 proper. Anyone who does play nightlies can confirm or deny by simply switching to DVG graphics. The error message will appear immediately (but won't crash and shouldn't affect you game in any way).
      IIRC there was an issue with the BDSM (heh) in V at some point - I would recommend just removing it.
      One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
      In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• AnonymousHero
        Veteran
        • Jun 2007

Does the same thing happen with the V nightlies? My guess is that this was caused by the change to confusion from an element that's breathed to just a status effect. I'll add it to the bug list.
        IIRC BDSM (not BaDSM) was removed from the game.

Comment

• Magnate
          Angband Devteam member
          • May 2007

Originally posted by Nick
          IIRC there was an issue with the BDSM (heh) in V at some point - I would recommend just removing it.
          If you remove it completely, any savefiles containing it will be unable to load. I just set its rarity to 0 in V so it is not generated.
          "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• Arjen
            Adept
            • Dec 2010

Tried the crystal drake, lot's of fun. Downside, hard to get FA ring (found FA at clvl 28), no other source because you can't wield boots, gloves and weapons. I bet i'm forgetting a source, but i bet it isn't a common source (or it has -3 speed). Same with speed, i only found a staff of speed.

So i realised that the FA was making them a nice challenge(yay!) and shouldn't be changed. But the speed is kinda hard, you can't wield speedboots. And monsterraces don't get speed even if the monster itself is hasted. (Most Wyrms have more than normal speed.) So maybe thats something to change? I know Posband had speed implented in the races.

Ow and i met some nasty golems and i wanted to play them! So maybe a next race new can be golems. (flesh -> iron -> steel -> mithril -> colbran -> colossus ->bone/bronze/drolem). As being a golem, they should have stuff like HL, FA, res conf/poison, no_cuts (even saw a piece of metal bleed or been poisoned?).

Comment

• buzzkill
              Prophet
              • May 2008

Quiver bug

0.6.3 Ammo loaded into the quiver doesn't show up on the equipment list.

... critiquing the Lich (so far, DL's 1-10)

a) ring of Ice (activation) makes him too powerful, maybe an ICE_BRAND instead if that's the point of it.
              b) with all the ranged spells, does he really need a launcher slot?
              c) does he really need to eat food for sustenance. Some sort of vampiric drain seems more fitting.
              Last edited by buzzkill; January 22, 2011, 18:01.
              www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.

Comment

• qwerty
                Rookie
                • Dec 2010

I've noticed the ammo problem as well.
                Any ammo loaded into quiver isn't seen on screen but can be selected using the right letter (n I think) so you can still fire or drop it etc. It just makes it more difficult to keep track of what ammo you are holding.

Comment

• pampl
                  RePosBand maintainer
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Arjen
                  Tried the crystal drake, lot's of fun. Downside, hard to get FA ring (found FA at clvl 28), no other source because you can't wield boots, gloves and weapons. I bet i'm forgetting a source, but i bet it isn't a common source (or it has -3 speed). Same with speed, i only found a staff of speed.

So i realised that the FA was making them a nice challenge(yay!) and shouldn't be changed. But the speed is kinda hard, you can't wield speedboots. And monsterraces don't get speed even if the monster itself is hasted. (Most Wyrms have more than normal speed.) So maybe thats something to change? I know Posband had speed implented in the races.

Ow and i met some nasty golems and i wanted to play them! So maybe a next race new can be golems. (flesh -> iron -> steel -> mithril -> colbran -> colossus ->bone/bronze/drolem). As being a golem, they should have stuff like HL, FA, res conf/poison, no_cuts (even saw a piece of metal bleed or been poisoned?).
                  I was pretty stingy with flags with crystal drakes, on the grounds that shards is a strongish element and they get their final form quite early. The speed is an error, though; other dragons all get intrinsic speed in their last form so I should have (and meant to) give GCD intrinsic speed gain too. Their intrinsic AC is also wonky and should be much higher.

Do you think I should give them FA? All the mono-element dragons get it, but law and chaos drakes don't.. it's available as a ring and on Dwarven armor as well as some other artifacts, but like you said that's pretty limited.

I like the golem idea a lot! They're definitely going on the list.
                  0.6.3 Ammo loaded into the quiver doesn't show up on the equipment list.

... critiquing the Lich (so far, DL's 1-10)

a) ring of Ice (activation) makes him too powerful, maybe an ICE_BRAND instead if that's the point of it.
                  b) with all the ranged spells, does he really need a launcher slot?
                  c) does he really need to eat food for sustenance. Some sort of vampiric drain seems more fitting.
                  Yeah, I had thought that the quiver bug was just hydras, but it looks like it's everyone. You can see what's in the quiver by looking at the inventory.. sometimes.

I'm not sure what the point of the ice ring was.. it's a carryover from Pos. Maybe just to give him a fast start? Or easy access to double-resistance for cold (no longer applicable)?

I've never really thought about launcher slots, just always included it with melee slots.. now that I think about it a lich using a bow is a little strange sounding. I should probably take it away from Xs too; it's tough to imagine their huge claws holding a short bow.

Special ways of eating (like basilisks eating statues) is on the to-do list but it's after summoning and questing.
                  Originally posted by qwerty
                  I've noticed the ammo problem as well.
                  Any ammo loaded into quiver isn't seen on screen but can be selected using the right letter (n I think) so you can still fire or drop it etc. It just makes it more difficult to keep track of what ammo you are holding.
                  Sorry about that.. but welcome to the oook forums!

Comment

• buzzkill
                    Prophet
                    • May 2008

Repeat command 'n' bug

Pressing 'n' will not repeat any 'U' (special ability) command. Worse yet, instead of doing nothing, it repeats the command before it.

Comment

• Arjen
                      Adept
                      • Dec 2010

I was pretty stingy with flags with crystal drakes, on the grounds that shards is a strongish element and they get their final form quite early. The speed is an error, though; other dragons all get intrinsic speed in their last form so I should have (and meant to) give GCD intrinsic speed gain too. Their intrinsic AC is also wonky and should be much higher.

Do you think I should give them FA? All the mono-element dragons get it, but law and chaos drakes don't.. it's available as a ring and on Dwarven armor as well as some other artifacts, but like you said that's pretty limited.
                      I wouldn't give them FA, it makes them a bit harder without it. And why does a crystal drake not evolve in a Great Crystal Wyrm? Because it's too strong? But the boost in AC and speed would make them a bit easier at higher levels. Getting AC is hard if you have only 3 armor slots.

Ow and i opened my lvl 50 Hydra player, and suddenly it's a 4-headed hydra. And he lost a lot of equipment who were on head 5 to 11.

Comment

• pampl
                        RePosBand maintainer
                        • Sep 2008

Pressing 'n' will not repeat any 'U' (special ability) command. Worse yet, instead of doing nothing, it repeats the command before it.
                        That's a known bug I should have documented better. Sorry about that. I've looked at fixing it but the command queue is hard to understand.
                        Originally posted by Arjen
                        I wouldn't give them FA, it makes them a bit harder without it. And why does a crystal drake not evolve in a Great Crystal Wyrm? Because it's too strong? But the boost in AC and speed would make them a bit easier at higher levels. Getting AC is hard if you have only 3 armor slots.

Ow and i opened my lvl 50 Hydra player, and suddenly it's a 4-headed hydra. And he lost a lot of equipment who were on head 5 to 11.
                        I think GCW are new monsters and I just forgot about them. They aren't too strong, so I'll add them right now.

Weird stuff happens to savefiles from previous versions.. I should probably set up savefile version checking so that it just doesn't allow them, instead of silently mutating them. That's assuming your hydra's from before .6.3, otherwise that's a really bad bug.

Comment

• Arjen
                          Adept
                          • Dec 2010

I think my hydra is from an older version as it's a bit older character i stop playing because he was a kinda of indestructible with his high AC.

Comment

• emulord
                            Adept
                            • Oct 2009

I kinda think Hydra's 11 head and amulet slots is overkill. Probably alternating gaining a head and an amulet slot is enough.

2Headed = 1 amulet, 1 head
                            3 = 1 a, 2 h
                            4 = 2 a, 2 h
                            and so on
                            11 = 5 a, 6 h

Still enough to equip every kind of great amulet and helmet.

Comment

• Derakon
                              Prophet
                              • Dec 2009

How do natural attacks work right now? I noticed that the lich character in the competition has 3 natural touch attacks, but how do I see how much damage they do?

Comment

• pampl
                                RePosBand maintainer
                                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by emulord
                                I kinda think Hydra's 11 head and amulet slots is overkill. Probably alternating gaining a head and an amulet slot is enough.

2Headed = 1 amulet, 1 head
                                3 = 1 a, 2 h
                                4 = 2 a, 2 h
                                and so on
                                11 = 5 a, 6 h

Still enough to equip every kind of great amulet and helmet.
                                Like you say, that wouldn't stop hydras from equipping all the best helmets and amulets, so it wouldn't really effect balance much. The big issues are just AC and display bugs and I still hope to be able to fix them without making the hydras less multiheaded.
                                Originally posted by Derakon
                                How do natural attacks work right now? I noticed that the lich character in the competition has 3 natural touch attacks, but how do I see how much damage they do?
                                They're pulled from the monster's data, then if they have a special effect (like reducing DEX in the case of the lich) they're generally multiplied by two, mutually exclusive with other branding*. So the lich should have four attacks, two of which do no damage (but can still cause fear, IIRC) and two of which do (2d8x2) + your to-dam bonus, or (2d8x3) + to-dam bonus if you leave the ring of ice on. If it's an elemental attack, like five-headed hydras' poison bites, that damage is then split in half and half is done physically. That part isn't really applicable to liches though, who (should) always do two non-damaging touches to drain charges/xp, and two physical attacks to reduce DEX.

*On reflection, it makes more game-logic sense for them to be additive rather than mutually exclusive, but I think V is going to be changing off-weapon branding soon anyways so I'll worry about it later.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎