X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kav
    Scout
    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Nick
    Here are my steps for getting Unangband to compile in linux - there may be an easier way, but this worked for me:
    1. Edit lib/Makefile.am and remove todo from the line starting SUBDIRS;
    2. Edit configure.in, removing lib/todo/Makefile from the line starting AC_CONFIG_FILES (right near the end of the file);
    3. Edit src/config.h, removing the line #define ALLOW_BORG
    4. Enter the following commands:
      • aclocal
      • autoheader
      • automake --add-missing
      • autoconf
      • ./configure
      • make
      • make install
    I did everything you listed and this is what happened after make
    Code:
    main-x11.o: In function `Term_xtra_x11_react':
    /usr/src/unangband/unangband-062-src/src/main-x11.c:2084: undefined reference to                                                                               `create_pixel'
    main-x11.o: In function `init_x11':
    /usr/src/unangband/unangband-062-src/src/main-x11.c:2553: undefined reference to                                                                               `smoothRescaling'
    /usr/src/unangband/unangband-062-src/src/main-x11.c:2628: undefined reference to                                                                               `create_pixel'
    /usr/src/unangband/unangband-062-src/src/main-x11.c:2737: undefined reference to                                                                               `ReadBMP'
    main-x11.o: In function `term_data_init':
    /usr/src/unangband/unangband-062-src/src/main-x11.c:2345: undefined reference to                                                                               `get_default_font'
    main-x11.o: In function `init_x11':
    /usr/src/unangband/unangband-062-src/src/main-x11.c:2773: undefined reference to                                                                               `ResizeImage'
    /usr/src/unangband/unangband-062-src/src/main-x11.c:2571: undefined reference to                                                                               `smoothRescaling'
    main-xpj.o: In function `Term_xtra_xpj_react':
    /usr/src/unangband/unangband-062-src/src/main-xpj.c:1758: undefined reference to                                                                               `create_pixel'
    main-xpj.o: In function `init_xpj':
    /usr/src/unangband/unangband-062-src/src/main-xpj.c:3233: undefined reference to                                                                               `smoothRescaling'
    /usr/src/unangband/unangband-062-src/src/main-xpj.c:3281: undefined reference to                                                                               `create_pixel'
    /usr/src/unangband/unangband-062-src/src/main-xpj.c:3602: undefined reference to                                                                               `ResizeImage'
    main-xpj.o: In function `term_data_init':
    /usr/src/unangband/unangband-062-src/src/main-xpj.c:3010: undefined reference to                                                                               `get_default_font'
    main-xpj.o: In function `init_xpj':
    /usr/src/unangband/unangband-062-src/src/main-xpj.c:3349: undefined reference to                                                                               `ReadBMP'
    /usr/src/unangband/unangband-062-src/src/main-xpj.c:3381: undefined reference to                                                                               `ResizeImage'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make[2]: *** [unangband] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/unangband/unangband-062-src/src'
    make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/unangband/unangband-062-src/src'
    make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Comment

• Daven_26d1
      Adept
      • Jun 2007

The errors now look like problems with X; I usually remove the references to x11 from the makefile, but this is harder when using ./configure. You might just be missing a path to your x11 libs.

On Kubuntu, which is Debian based, I made Makefile.std read:

Code:
      NORMAL_CFLAGS = -Wall -pipe -O2 -D"USE_GCU" -D"USE_NCURSES"
      LIBS = -lncurses
      basically stripping out x11 support. I prefer *bands compiled with just basic ncurses anyway because you can play around with the fonts to make it look different. Be aware that this was using the "make -f Makefile.std" method inside src/ and then just "mv unangband ../unangband"

Couldn't hurt to try updating terminal definitions, package name is something like "ncurses-def" but if ncurses is compiling other *bands I don't think its that.
      You sold a Broken Sword (1d2) (-2,-4) {average} (j) for 1 gold.
      The shopkeeper howls in agony!
      You say "Dude, the clue is in the name...".

Comment

• Kav
        Scout
        • Jun 2007

The thing is make -f Makefile.std worked on the sources that Andrew uploaded right before these. That is why I was asking what changed.

Comment

• Bandobras
          Knight
          • Apr 2007

Sorry, the newest sources from Berlios compile for me without problems (make -f Makefile.std). Debian unstable.

Do you have the old sources around? Could you unpack them somewhere and do 'diff -r old_sources/ new_sources/'? I bet it's some corruption, either from download or ./configure...

Anyway, I still don't know what are the error messages you get on new freshly unpacked sources, with 'make -f Makefile.std'.

Edit: I meant the packaged sources. Of course SVN compiles, too.
          Last edited by Bandobras; October 25, 2007, 10:21.

Comment

• andrewdoull
            Unangband maintainer
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Bandobras
            Sorry, the newest sources from Berlios compile for me without problems (make -f Makefile.std). Debian unstable.

Do you have the old sources around? Could you unpack them somewhere and do 'diff -r old_sources/ new_sources/'? I bet it's some corruption, either from download or ./configure...

Anyway, I still don't know what are the error messages you get on new freshly unpacked sources, with 'make -f Makefile.std'.
            Its worth pointing out that there's two ways of getting the source:

1. Downloading from SVN.
            2. A separate source distribution, that I compile using build_src.bat (or currently by copying and pasting the contents of build_src-osx into a term window, because I can't remember how to build a valid Unix shell file).

The separate source distribution doesn't have the /todo directory included which is why Nick's experiencing the problems with the todo directory. I can include it easily enough, along with the remaining steps.

However, I'd like to figure out at some point what's broken with the other parts of the Unangband linux build...

Andrew
            The Roflwtfzomgbbq Quylthulg summons L33t Paladins -more-
            In UnAngband, the level dives you.
            ASCII Dreams: http://roguelikedeveloper.blogspot.com
            Unangband: http://unangband.blogspot.com

Comment

• Geofferic
              Scout
              • Oct 2007

My biggest problem is that I can't seem to leave the first town. I *think* that it told me to hit < or > the first time I started the game, but neither works. So the game is kinda slow stuck in the first area...

Comment

• Daven_26d1
                Adept
                • Jun 2007

You have to have a full stomach before you can travel anywhere by pressing "<".
                You sold a Broken Sword (1d2) (-2,-4) {average} (j) for 1 gold.
                The shopkeeper howls in agony!
                You say "Dude, the clue is in the name...".

Comment

• Geofferic
                  Scout
                  • Oct 2007

Oh. Correct me if I'm crazy, but couldn't you just *start* with a full stomach upon character creation?

Comment

• Bandobras
                    Knight
                    • Apr 2007

Wow, brilliant! Done in SVN (but I left some room in the starting stomach for quaffing potions, etc.).

Comment

• andrewdoull
                      Unangband maintainer
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Bandobras
                      Wow, brilliant! Done in SVN (but I left some room in the starting stomach for quaffing potions, etc.).
                      The whole point of not starting with a full stomach is that you learn straight away that you have to be full in order to travel.

I'm going to roll this back... sorry guys.

Andrew

Comment

• Geofferic
                        Scout
                        • Oct 2007

Why not just give an error message when you try to leave town without a full stomach?

"You can't leave yet, n00b, eat something!"

Comment

• andrewdoull
                          Unangband maintainer
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Geofferic
                          Why not just give an error message when you try to leave town without a full stomach?

"You can't leave yet, n00b, eat something!"
                          You mean like 'You need a full stomach for the road ahead.'

Or is that too subtle?

Comment

• Nick
                            Vanilla maintainer
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by andrewdoull

Or is that too subtle?
                            Yeah, don't give 'em a message and let 'em starve.
                            One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                            In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Geofferic
                              Scout
                              • Oct 2007

Originally posted by andrewdoull

Or is that too subtle?
                              Well you might be more explicit in the first town.

I'm not really sure I understand why it's forced, tho. You could just prompt them if they're sure they want to leave without a full stomach.

Comment

• Bandobras
                                Knight
                                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Nick
                                Yeah, don't give 'em a message and let 'em starve.
                                This is another good options. That will teach them, newbies! But seriously, this is better than current messages. Give them a warning and if they disregard it, let them appear on the next wilderness location paralized from starvation. This is much more colorful experience than hitting '<' and seeing no reaction. It's even sensible from a role-playing perspective. BTW, the current travel food consumption is so toned-down that most newbies will not even notice before Rivendell, I guess.
                                Last edited by Bandobras; October 26, 2007, 08:28.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎