X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Neigeden
    Rookie
    • Jan 2021

New Throwing Mechanics?

So, I knew that throwing was improved in the latest version, but I was surprised to see this:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Gwarahir_2021Jan24_171451.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	234442

Do all daggers have this kind of multiplier for thrown damage? Also, how do brands/slays factor in; in this case, the resisted thrown damage is about twice the resisted normal damage, and the unresisted thrown damage is over 4 times the unresisted normal damage. I'm assuming blows/round doesn't affect thrown damage, but I'm getting 1.0 blows/round here, so that shouldn't complicate things.

I'm also curious to hear how useful people are finding throwing weapons in the newest patch. Have you found any weapons you carry around just for throwing?
  • Neigeden
    Rookie
    • Jan 2021

I just had the thought, is the brand being applied after the to-damage bonus when thrown but before the to-damage bonus when swung?

Comment

• DavidMedley
      Veteran
      • Oct 2019

Yeah, brands and slays are huge on thrown weapons at present. It's often worth carrying a branded dagger. If you inscribe it @v0 (or some other number) then it'll take 5 ammo slots in your quiver.
      Please like my indie game company on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/RatherFunGames

Comment

• VeritasAequitas
        Apprentice
        • Jan 2020

during early game in my most recent mage, i found 2 *thancs and my early game consisted mostly of:
        Activate one,
        Wield the other,
        Throw the empty one,
        Activate the new one,
        Wade into battle.

Then while resting to get your mana back, also swap around your *thancs to charge them before continuing

I found the throwing damage to be no joke at all

Comment

• whartung
          Adept
          • May 2020

I'm sorry, is it me? Is it the forum? But it seems most of these screenshots recently with text on them are mostly useless. I can't read hardly anything on these things.

Comment

• Sphara
            Knight
            • Oct 2016

Originally posted by whartung
            I'm sorry, is it me? Is it the forum? But it seems most of these screenshots recently with text on them are mostly useless. I can't read hardly anything on these things.
            Pictures taken by Windows Snipping Tool do appear like this afaik.

Comment

• Neigeden
              Rookie
              • Jan 2021

I used the in-game screenshot utility, and then cropped it to up the resolution because of the size limit imposed by the forum (or I missed an option when posting and there is not such limit, in which case my bad)

Comment

• Neigeden
                Rookie
                • Jan 2021

Also, should I understand throwing in impart a 2x multiplier now? Is throwing a small pebble the same as shooting it with an unenchanted sling? (assuming equal throwing and shooting skill)

Comment

• Pete Mack
                  Prophet
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Neigeden
                  Also, should I understand throwing in impart a 2x multiplier now? Is throwing a small pebble the same as shooting it with an unenchanted sling? (assuming equal throwing and shooting skill)
                  This only holds for certain objects like daggers, spears, and sling ammo. I don't think the range of throwing is as long as a sling's, but otherwise, yes: the damage is the same with or without the sling.

Comment

• Grotug
                    Veteran
                    • Nov 2013

My hobbit ranger recently found a spear that does over 500 damage to dragons. I'm keeping it for now since I don't have a very good bow. It's fun taking out mature dragons in one throw of the spear and slicing in half the health of ancient dragons.
                    Beginner's Guide to Angband 4.2.3 Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9c9e2wMngM

Detailed account of my Ironman win here.

"My guess is that Grip and Fang have many more kills than Gothmog and Lungorthin." --Fizzix

Comment

• Bogatyr
                      Knight
                      • Feb 2014

4.2.1: There is obviously something not right in the average thrown damage Info display: throwing Narthanc (CL7 Dunadan Blackguard) almost always does 180 damage, yet Info says 43.9 average (vs. not fire resistant). It's seems to be under-reporting by 4x compared to the actual damage it does.

Comment

• Nick
                        Vanilla maintainer
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Bogatyr
                        4.2.1: There is obviously something not right in the average thrown damage Info display: throwing Narthanc (CL7 Dunadan Blackguard) almost always does 180 damage, yet Info says 43.9 average (vs. not fire resistant). It's seems to be under-reporting by 4x compared to the actual damage it does.
                        This is the second report I've had of flakiness in throwing descriptions. Do you have a savefile?
                        One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                        In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• backwardsEric
                          Knight
                          • Aug 2019

Originally posted by Nick
                          This is the second report I've had of flakiness in throwing descriptions. Do you have a savefile?
                          There was a change between 4.2.1 and 4.2.2 to match the formula used for thrown damage in the information display to the one used for the damage calculations. That could be relevant here, though it wouldn't be for David Medley's report.

Comment

• Bogatyr
                            Knight
                            • Feb 2014

Yes, 4.2.2 shows throw damage info that matches the damage actually done when thrown. I was absolutely loving my Spear of Frost, until I threw it and then absentmindedly followed up with a fireball.....doh!

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎