X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sphara
    Knight
    • Oct 2016

@DM
    I got one in the late game, who died to a Wiruin-surprise, and won the second one with massive luck during the mid game.

Well, it's good to know I can chain heal a little with berserk spell. I dunno why I thought it doesn't heal if I extend the spell by casting it again.

Some more thoughts for about spells (based on 2 games):

Taunt: I definitely should have used this more! I did have monsters summoning and doing their things other than running towards me, while having this on. But reducing the chance of other action than running by a spell, is a good idea imo.

Grim Purpose: My go-to spell to gain rConfusion. So it's good but I never needed it for other purposes.

Unholy Reprieve: Well, it's a restoration spell so it breaks open one part of the game (stat and exp drains). This means, invaluable in the late game for some characters.

Comment

• DavidMedley
      Veteran
      • Oct 2019

Originally posted by Sphara
      Detect life: Without Detect Evil or ESP, blackguard is vulnerable against undead and demons.
      Demons are detected.
      Please like my indie game company on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/RatherFunGames

Comment

• Eric
        Rookie
        • Oct 2019

Originally posted by DavidMedley
        None of the other player properties have nearly this long of an explanation. Nick suggested I could break "Combat Regeneration" into more than one property, but I feel it's all one thing. If you (or anyone else) want to try to rewrite it, that would be awesome.
        Sorry for the long delay on my thoughts there! I liked that this had a longer explanation - but I'm a fan of in-game help and man pages and things like that...
        I don't really think much change is needed - something along the lines of:

You draw power from the thrill of combat. This power is represented by
        Spell Points (SP). You gain SP in combat when damaged by a monster or
        when you attack in melee. When not in combat your SP fades - you *lose* SP at half the rate others gain it, and you gain hitpoints (HP) at only half the normal rate. When you spend SP by casting a spell you regain some HP, and
        fading SP replenish your health even more efficiently. The more damaged
        the character is, the bigger these HP gains will be.

It was really just the phrase 'unspent SP replenish...' that I found confusing - though now that I get it, I have a hard time seeing why I was confused.

Comment

• DavidMedley
          Veteran
          • Oct 2019

Yeah, that fading word is better than what I had. There may be something even better in that direction. I'll think on that.
          Please like my indie game company on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/RatherFunGames

Comment

• mrfy
            Swordsman
            • Jul 2015

After advancing to level 42, I'm noticing that I'm not using any of the spells in the first book. In the 2nd book, I'm mostly using Werewolf Form and occasionally Relentless Taunting to attract spell carriers towards me. In the 3rd book, I'm using Unholy Reprieve a lot to restore life levels. Werewolf form has replaced Bloodlust in utility. Curious if others see this too.

Comment

• Diego Gonzalez
              Adept
              • May 2007

Werewolf includes berserk, so its natural. I use shatter a lot. At higher levels I tend to fight one to one, so whirlwind isnt so used.

Comment

• mrfy
                Swordsman
                • Jul 2015

A little weird that while a werewolf, you can disarm a chest of traps, unlock and open it. You can pick up things but can't drop them.

Comment

• Nick
                  Vanilla maintainer
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by mrfy
                  A little weird that while a werewolf, you can disarm a chest of traps, unlock and open it. You can pick up things but can't drop them.
                  Yes, perhaps. Should shapechanged players be able to open doors? Tunnel? What do people think is reasonable?
                  One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                  In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Voovus
                    Adept
                    • Feb 2018

Originally posted by Nick
                    Yes, perhaps. Should shapechanged players be able to open doors? Tunnel? What do people think is reasonable?
                    Not being able to use items is a fair penalty for shapechange. Not being able to open/close doors, tunnel, disarm traps, pick up items, drop items, change equipment or eat from inventory is mainly an inconvenience.

Comment

• Sky
                      Veteran
                      • Oct 2016

if zephyr hounds can open doors, a shapechanged player can open doors.
                      "i can take this dracolich"

Comment

• DavidMedley
                        Veteran
                        • Oct 2019

I've often wondered about that stuff when in Bat form. Werewolf form might not be as limiting, which is why I suggested that maybe shapechange is the wrong mechanic for this.

EDIT: Werewolf shapechange was originally my idea, and it's fun and seems popular. Just saying maybe it shouldn't come with the same challenges and benefits (like at-will duration) that shapeshift does.
                        Last edited by DavidMedley; May 5, 2020, 16:00.

Comment

• Hounded
                          Adept
                          • Jan 2019

Tunnel: Yes. Most of the shapechanged forms would be able to tunnel. The only ones which don't make sense are bat and, possibly, Eagle. Write the rule for the 80%.

Opening Doors: Some forms (Werewolf, Pukelman) have opposable thumbs whilst most others would probably have to break through. I'd say the 80% rule here would be that doors are broken if you pass them while shapechanged. (I got zero rational for bat form on this).

Eating: Makes sense from the floor but not from inventory.

Use Items: I consider that all my stuff has been incorporated into my changed form. Makes sense that I can't drop my "claws" to change weapons while changed but I think that being unable to pick things up would be too obnoxious.
                          It Breathes. You die.

Comment

• DavidMedley
                            Veteran
                            • Oct 2019

Good summary, Hounded. I imagine that picking up items they merge into your form just like your backpack does. It might be reasonable to only allow bashing doors while changed, and then STR penalties on bats and foxes etc could hinder that...?

Comment

• mrfy
                              Swordsman
                              • Jul 2015

It is strangely satisfying to change into werewolf form and see the message: "The ancient multi-hued dragon flees in terror!"

Comment

• archolewa
                                Swordsman
                                • Feb 2019

Originally posted by DavidMedley
                                Good summary, Hounded. I imagine that picking up items they merge into your form just like your backpack does. It might be reasonable to only allow bashing doors while changed, and then STR penalties on bats and foxes etc could hinder that...?
                                Wouldn't this make bat form really bad at the thing it's supposed to be good at (exploring)? Bashing slows you down, and may or may not wake up nearby monsters depending on how sadistic Nick's feeling at the time.

I feel like this kind of limitation would encourage:

1. Explore to door.
                                2. Shapechange.
                                3. open Door.
                                4. Shapechange.

Which is right up there with Ye Olde Tunneling mechanics for tedium.

I feel like if we want to inhibit the abilities of changed shapes to open doors, then it should work like tunneling does now. The character auto shifts out long enough to open the door and then shifts back. So, opening doors will cost an extra couple of turns, but doesn't otherwise impact exploration.

*Or* we just say "Meh, the character is shapechanging one of their claws into a human hand long enough to open the door. They can do that. No they can't do that to wield a weapon because *mumble mumble* stop questioning mechanics that make your life easier!"

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎