X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrfy
    Swordsman
    • Jul 2015

Originally posted by mrfy
    Level 36, have 655 hit points. Rested so at full. Tunnel with weapon into wall, hit points drop to 584, indicator goes yellow, so slightly damaged. Continue tunneling, and they stay about 584-585. That's about a 11% drop from maximum.
    Anyone else seeing their hitpoints fall while digging? Still wondering if this is a bug or on purpose.

Comment

• Nick
      Vanilla maintainer
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by mrfy
      Anyone else seeing their hitpoints fall while digging? Still wondering if this is a bug or on purpose.
      Bug, fix (by backwardsEric) should be out in the next few days.
      One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
      In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Diego Gonzalez
        Adept
        • May 2007

This code in process_command can be dangerous at high levels if the time counter is very high. I couldn't use the inventory to quaff healing potions or teleport away. I was kind of locked. I *think* is this code. I cant confirm the value of the time counter. I'll try to simulate that same situation.

Code:
                /* Actually execute the command function */
        	if (game_cmds[idx].fn) {
        		/* Occasional attack instead for bloodlust-affected characters */
        		if (randint0(200) < player->timed[TMD_BLOODLUST]) {
        			if (player_attack_random_monster(player)) return;
        		}
        		game_cmds[idx].fn(cmd);
        	}
        Last edited by Diego Gonzalez; April 25, 2020, 22:36.

Comment

• DavidMedley
          Veteran
          • Oct 2019

[TMD_BLOODLUST] shouldn't be able to exceed 50
          Please like my indie game company on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/RatherFunGames

Comment

• Diego Gonzalez
            Adept
            • May 2007

Thanks! Perhaps bloodlust was 50, so I got a 1/4 chance to attack the unique instead of using an item. Too much bloodlust can kill you!

Comment

• DavidMedley
              Veteran
              • Oct 2019

Any thoughts about overall strength or weakness versus other classes? At times I'm bashing monsters in the head and thinking "this is too easy!" Then I face something that I can't melee and it's just awful. Obviously the stealth penalty demands increased slaying ability as well.
              Please like my indie game company on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/RatherFunGames

Comment

• Nick
                Vanilla maintainer
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by DavidMedley
                Any thoughts about overall strength or weakness versus other classes? At times I'm bashing monsters in the head and thinking "this is too easy!" Then I face something that I can't melee and it's just awful.
                That was pretty much the plan, right?
                One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• DavidMedley
                  Veteran
                  • Oct 2019

Well it's no accident! But I'm wondering where the class ranks in total strength.

Comment

• Diego Gonzalez
                    Adept
                    • May 2007

I think that the power curve of the class was nicely designed. The only thing I would change is the "return" statement in the code I posted a couple of days ago related to bloodlust. At first I didnt knew what the game was doing. As the BG is so strong the monsters get killed before noticing this "lock", but when fighting a strong unique, as Ungoliant, its kind of a dangerous situation.

Other than that, the BG feels strong enough. Great job!

Comment

• DavidMedley
                      Veteran
                      • Oct 2019

Originally posted by Diego Gonzalez
                      The only thing I would change is the "return" statement in the code I posted a couple of days ago related to bloodlust. At first I didnt knew what the game was doing.
                      It should give you the message "You angrily lash out at a nearby foe!"

Comment

• Diego Gonzalez
                        Adept
                        • May 2007

Yes, but you lose the ability to use the inventory. I would soft that a bit. Perhaps it shouldn't do that twice in a row.

EDIT: the extra hit is nice, but it should allow command execution.
                        Last edited by Diego Gonzalez; April 27, 2020, 19:07.

Comment

• Sphara
                          Knight
                          • Oct 2016

Just few cents from my wallet of feedback:

Detect life: Without Detect Evil or ESP, blackguard is vulnerable against undead and demons. It's good enough but not super reliable for survival. Levels after >30 really started to bug me, because I had not HoldLife atm.

Leap into battle: Very good spell, didn't feel overpowered.

Berserk: It brings what it is supposed to deliver. I also liked that the healing it gave was really modest and didn't affect HP if recast (as far as I remember).

Maim: Very good even though Wand of Stun Monster does the same. Well, the wand doesn't damage monster ofc, but ability stun from range is strong as f.

Whirlwind: Was ok. Fast popcorn remover. Should've probably used it more but I still avoid open space fights.

ImpHP: I don't remember if I got Regen early but I could live with this surprisingly well.

Stealth penalty: Makes things harder, as it should. Sneaking is possible but requires loads of +stealth items.

Werewolf: Great ability. Was my go-to melee damage buff towards the end.

Bloodlust: Extremely strong but hazardous. Hard to state an clarified opinion, because I don't know exactly what are all the risks Bloodlust carries.

EDIT: short stun monster vs maim clarification
                          Last edited by Sphara; April 27, 2020, 18:39.

Comment

• DavidMedley
                            Veteran
                            • Oct 2019

Originally posted by Sphara
                            Just few cents from my wallet of feedback
                            If you or anyone else wants to send me PMs I'd be grateful for the info.

Comment

• DavidMedley
                              Veteran
                              • Oct 2019

Originally posted by Sphara
                              Detect life: Without Detect Evil or ESP, blackguard is vulnerable against undead and demons. It's good enough but not super reliable for survival. Levels after >30 really started to bug me, because I had not HoldLife atm.
                              Had this as "smell fear" for a while and it was intended to pick up all fearable monsters, alive or dead. Any better or worse in your opinion?
                              Berserk: It brings what it is supposed to deliver. I also liked that the healing it gave was really modest and didn't affect HP if recast (as far as I remember).
                              Recasting does heal. It heals at most 10% of damage at 10 max SP or less.

You won with at least one Blackguard, right?

Thanks for the feedback!!

Comment

• mrfy
                                Swordsman
                                • Jul 2015

Noticing that my hardest fights now are with undead who can drain life. I now have the Unholy Reprieve spell so that can restore Exp but it's expensive and fails often. Trying to figure out what I'll need to fight deeper undead, including the Ringwraiths. Right now I'm using rods of Light to soften up the lower level 'L's and 'W's before moving in for the kill.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎