X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DavidMedley
    Veteran
    • Oct 2019

Originally posted by Nick
    OK, that's an error in the info - Poison Brand should only be applying to melee.
    OK. I noticed the same thing with Paladin spells, too. I thought at the time the info screen was correct and the spell description was wrong.
    Last edited by DavidMedley; January 15, 2020, 07:13.
    Please like my indie game company on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/RatherFunGames

Comment

• floatRand
      Rookie
      • May 2016

Might have encountered issue with Sauron.
      Entered floor 99 and did some digging and engaged Sauron who assumed vampiric/mist form - this is new for me, so I didn't quite recall.
      However, it so happened that a Horned Reaper was behind him and seemingly... trampled Sauron.
      Afterwards I could not find Sauron anywhere on the level - he should respawn if deleted (such in case with *destruct*?), but no dice. I did few recalls back to town and back to 99, but no luck then either.

I saved game, restarted and head to 99 again, and lo'behold, Sauron immediately detected.

Comment

• Pete Mack
        Prophet
        • Apr 2007

View_special_lite (name?) is gone or not working anymore. This is a real headache when using a light rod for illumination--all the tiles in the hallway look the same, whether illuminated or not. In a room, yellow light is an OK workaround.
        Also: what is the point of the illumination spell doing just one damage to light-sensitive monsters?

Comment

• Pete Mack
          Prophet
          • Apr 2007

And another one:
          Mage recharge spell is ridiculously weak. Level 29 mage with only 9 power? That is *worse* than the old recharge I spell.

Comment

• Pete Mack
            Prophet
            • Apr 2007

Lantern of Shadows says "Intensity 3 light", but only has light radius 2
            Electric arc doesn't actually have length 32 at cl 32

Edit: I didn't realize what radius 2 meant anymore.
            Last edited by Pete Mack; January 28, 2020, 01:59.

Comment

• PowerWyrm
              Prophet
              • Apr 2008

Grishnak and Golfimbul have "Hill orc" friends, which don't exist anymore.
              PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• Glorfindel
                Apprentice
                • Mar 2019

Serpents of chaos are pretty rare, so you don't see two together very often. Just now, however, I looked at my monster window, and it says 'You are aware of 2 Serpent of Chaoses'. There seems to be a plural in need of adjustment.

Comment

• eastwind
                  Apprentice
                  • Dec 2019

quylthulgi?

What's the plural of quylthulg supposed to be, anyway?

I noticed in looking at monster.txt there's no plural: tag for memory moss. Is the code smart enough to form that one correctly automatically?

Comment

• fph
                    Veteran
                    • Apr 2009

Originally posted by eastwind

I noticed in looking at monster.txt there's no plural: tag for memory moss. Is the code smart enough to form that one correctly automatically?
                    It formed automatically "Serpent of Chaoses", so I didn't check the source but it looks like the system can handle plurals in -es.
                    --
                    Dive fast, die young, leave a high-CHA corpse.

Comment

• PowerWyrm
                      Prophet
                      • Apr 2008

Trying to implement the Sil-lightning from current V, I'm looking at calc_lighting() in cave-view.c:

Code:
                      		/* Get light info for this monster */
                      		light = mon->race->light;
                      		radius = ABS(light) - 1;

/* Skip monsters not affecting light */
                      		if (!radius) continue;

/* Light or darken around the monster */
                      		for (y = -radius; y <= radius; y++) {
                      			for (x = -radius; x <= radius; x++) {
                      From what I understand, having light = 1 means the monster is illuminated and having light = 0 means the monster is not illuminated and having light > 1 means the monster carries a light source. So this cannot work.

What the code does:
                      - light = 0: radius = -1, it works since the loop goes from 1 to -1 and does nothing
                      - light = 1: radius = 0, it doesn't work (monster is not illuminated)
                      - light > 1: radius = light - 1, it works

Fix: replace "if (!radius) continue" by "if (!light) continue"
                      PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• PowerWyrm
                        Prophet
                        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by fph
                        It formed automatically "Serpent of Chaoses", so I didn't check the source but it looks like the system can handle plurals in -es.
                        Same bug with serpent of the brownlands ("serpent of the brownlandses"). Missing plural line in monster.txt.

Comment

• wobbly
                          Prophet
                          • May 2012

Originally posted by eastwind

It'll put -es on any thing ending in s.

Some more missing plurals: Red-hatted elf, Crow of Durthang, witch, spider of Gorgoroth

Edit: was looking at an older list, witches is fixed already
                          Last edited by wobbly; January 28, 2020, 15:32.

Comment

• Nick
                            Vanilla maintainer
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by PowerWyrm
                            Trying to implement the Sil-lightning from current V, I'm looking at calc_lighting() in cave-view.c:

Code:
                            		/* Get light info for this monster */
                            		light = mon->race->light;
                            		radius = ABS(light) - 1;

/* Skip monsters not affecting light */
                            		if (!radius) continue;

/* Light or darken around the monster */
                            		for (y = -radius; y <= radius; y++) {
                            			for (x = -radius; x <= radius; x++) {
                            From what I understand, having light = 1 means the monster is illuminated and having light = 0 means the monster is not illuminated and having light > 1 means the monster carries a light source. So this cannot work.

What the code does:
                            - light = 0: radius = -1, it works since the loop goes from 1 to -1 and does nothing
                            - light = 1: radius = 0, it doesn't work (monster is not illuminated)
                            - light > 1: radius = light - 1, it works

Fix: replace "if (!radius) continue" by "if (!light) continue"
                            Nice catch, thanks
                            One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                            In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                              Prophet
                              • Apr 2007

Lack of stair detection is a real drag. Back in theday, there were other ways todetect stairs besides magic mapping--scolls and rods of door/stair detection. Without those, there aren't enough sources of mapping to make up the loss. The result is a lot of tedious exploration to find the next level. Not sure what the right fix is for this, if any.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                                Veteran
                                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Pete Mack
                                Lack of stair detection is a real drag. Back in theday, there were other ways todetect stairs besides magic mapping--scolls and rods of door/stair detection. Without those, there aren't enough sources of mapping to make up the loss. The result is a lot of tedious exploration to find the next level. Not sure what the right fix is for this, if any.
                                Nick was pretty adamant about removing them. (I begged, sobbing, and pleading, so he did add back stair detection at least for mages and rogues). Unfortunately, and I believe just an unintended consequence, about the same time stairs were made to appear only in hallways or small enclosed spaces, making finding them even in ordinary exploration a pain in the butt. I haven't played the latest nightly yet, but Nick said he has mostly reverted stair generation, so the lack of detection might not be as much of an issue. Fingers crossed.
                                “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
                                ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎