Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eastwind
    Apprentice
    • Dec 2019

yesterday playing the nightly with a very low-level mage (like lvl 3 or 4) I went down from town to 1, then 1 to 2 rather briefly, then started back up. I spent a loooong time on 1 looking around for the stairs, even with my detection spell, because it has limited range and there were exactly two up-stairs in the entire level, both within about 5 grids of the map's lower left-hand corner.

I wasn't sure whether to be annoyed at how long it took, or relieved that I'd started back as soon as I had so I didn't run out of food just trying to go up one level.

I can't see trying to play without some kind of stair detection ability. In the old days I did, but stairs were much easier to find.

Comment

• Pete Mack
      Prophet
      • Apr 2007

At the very least, it'd be nice to have the map spell back in an town priest book. That class took a serious nerf in this version, in the way of spells--loss of mapping, escape, and CC/SW spells means it is very, very weak until the first dungeon book. (The better stats make will make up for it somewhat later on.)

Comment

• PowerWyrm
        Prophet
        • Apr 2008

Usually there's a room with pillars on the level and all staircases are put inside that room because it's convenient for the code. Maybe reduce the chance to generate such room would improve how stairs are placed?
        PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• Derakon
          Prophet
          • Dec 2009

Stairs really ought to just not be placed in close proximity to each other. Didn't we have at least one lengthy discussion about this previously?

Comment

• Huqhox
            Adept
            • Apr 2016

Originally posted by Derakon
            Stairs really ought to just not be placed in close proximity to each other. Didn't we have at least one lengthy discussion about this previously?
            We did, including code suggestions as I recall. I'd be happy to see this implemented
            "This has not been a recording"

Comment

• Glorfindel
              Apprentice
              • Mar 2019

I just found my first Power Dragon Scale Mail, and I am a little surprised. When I breathe with it, it says 'You breathe a missile.' This seems a little disappointing for such a storied item, to the degree that I venture to guess that it was not supposed to say that. At any rate, to judge by 'Angband: Tales from the Pit', it used to say something different.

Is it a bug?

Comment

• PowerWyrm
                Prophet
                • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Glorfindel
                I just found my first Power Dragon Scale Mail, and I am a little surprised. When I breathe with it, it says 'You breathe a missile.' This seems a little disappointing for such a storied item, to the degree that I venture to guess that it was not supposed to say that. At any rate, to judge by 'Angband: Tales from the Pit', it used to say something different.

Is it a bug?
                It used to say "you breathe the elements". In PWMAngband, I've changed the activation to breathe a random element, I felt it was more appropriate.
                PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• Glorfindel
                  Apprentice
                  • Mar 2019

It seems to me that the most fitting message for the breath as it is now would be 'You breathe raw magic.'

By the way, again going from Tales from the Pit, did Power Dragon Scale Mail formerly grant more resistances? There was one comic saying that with it @ had resistance to everything except time. I presume that this was before such exotic elements as gravity had been introduced, but I had anticipated that it would have all of the resistance runes that are actually in the game.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                    Prophet
                    • Apr 2007

It gave rConf back when conf was a damage type. (And btw, I miss bronze dragons, especially baby ones--they were the first genuinely dangerous individual monster in the game.)

Comment

• Adam
                      Adept
                      • Feb 2016

PDSM description says:
                      "Provides resistance to acid, lightning, fire, cold, poison, light,
                      dark, sound, shards, chaos, disenchantment.
                      Provides protection from confusion."
                      It does not provide rNexus, rNether, pFear, pBlnd, pStun, HLife
                      I always thought that there is no resistance against the exotic elements mentioned above (time, gravity, force etc) and that's the reason their max damage is low.

Comment

• Derakon
                        Prophet
                        • Dec 2009

Yeah, PDSM used to provide resistance to every element that could be resisted. Now it has the notable exceptions of nether and nexus, and confusion is no longer an element so it doesn't guard against that either. It never provided protection against blindness, stunning, or experience drain.

Exotic elements have never been resistable in Vanilla; that's what makes them exotic.

Comment

• Glorfindel
                          Apprentice
                          • Mar 2019

Yeah, based on the exception made in the comic, I didn't expect it to resist the exotic elements; I was just surprised there was no nexus resistance (I didn't check for nether).

Comment

• PowerWyrm
                            Prophet
                            • Apr 2008

There's no GF entries for ARROW, BOLT and SHOT. This means missile display is broken in tile mode right?

Comment

• PowerWyrm
                              Prophet
                              • Apr 2008

square_smash_wall() doesn't do what it is supposed to do:

Code:
                              	for (i = 0; i < 8; i++) {
                              		/* Extract adjacent location */
                              		struct loc adj_grid = loc_sum(grid, ddgrid_ddd[i]);

/* Check legality */
                              		if (!square_in_bounds_fully(c, adj_grid)) continue;

/* Ignore permanent grids */
                              		if (square_isperm(c, adj_grid)) continue;

/* Give this grid a chance to survive */
                              		if ((square_isgranite(c, adj_grid) && one_in_(4)) ||
                              			(square_isquartz(c, adj_grid) && one_in_(10)) ||
                              			(square_ismagma(c, adj_grid) && one_in_(20))) {
                              			continue;
                              		}

/* Remove it */
                              		square_set_feat(c, [B][U]grid[/U][/B], FEAT_FLOOR);
                              	}
                              This should probably be "adj_grid" instead of "grid".

Comment

• Nick
                                Vanilla maintainer
                                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by PowerWyrm
                                This should probably be "adj_grid" instead of "grid".
                                Ah, thank you - I thought there might have been a problem with this, but kept forgetting to check.

I was wondering why no-one mentioned Morgoth's new behaviour
                                One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                                In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎