Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrfy
    Swordsman
    • Jul 2015

Getting a strange failure with the new version of MacOS Catalina. Create a new game, set my birth options to randarts, first trip down to the dungeon when it tries to save it says:

Failed to create file /Users/mrfy/Documents/Angband/window.prf.new
    Failed to create file /Users/mrfy/Documents/Angband/lore.prf.new
    lore save failed!

Quitting causes the cursor to spin for a bit and then the game quits suddenly with the dialog that "Angband quit unexpectedly"

If I create a character and immediately hit save when the town appears, it works fine, can go up and down the stairs repeatedly. But when I try to change the prefs, like to turn sound on, and try to save, then I get those failed to create file messages. So it seems like a bug with saving the changed preferences.

Looks like it only triggers by turning sounds on, or setting randarts on. If I change other game prefs it is still works fine.

I can provide savefiles or the crash log if necessary.
    Last edited by mrfy; October 12, 2019, 21:38.

Comment

• Nick
      Vanilla maintainer
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by mrfy
      Getting a strange failure with the new version of MacOS Catalina. Create a new game, set my birth options to randarts, first trip down to the dungeon when it tries to save it says:

Failed to create file /Users/mrfy/Documents/Angband/window.prf.new
      Failed to create file /Users/mrfy/Documents/Angband/lore.prf.new
      lore save failed!

Quitting causes the cursor to spin for a bit and then the game quits suddenly with the dialog that "Angband quit unexpectedly"

If I create a character and immediately hit save when the town appears, it works fine, can go up and down the stairs repeatedly. But when I try to change the prefs, like to turn sound on, and try to save, then I get those failed to create file messages. So it seems like a bug with saving the changed preferences.

Looks like it only triggers by turning sounds on, or setting randarts on. If I change other game prefs it is still works fine.
      Yeah, I can reproduce most of this. I'll look into it.

EDIT: OK, my current guess (and it is only that) is that Catalina doesn't like writing, for example, lore.txt.new when it already has a lore.txt. If anyone has any actual knowledge to contribute to this, that would be most welcome. In short, upgrade to Catalina breaks Angband, cannot recommend.
      Last edited by Nick; October 12, 2019, 22:25.
      One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
      In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Nick
        Vanilla maintainer
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Mark
        In the artifact.txt data file, the value for the weight property of soulkeeper looks odd:

name:'Soulkeeper'
        base-object:hard armour:Adamantite Plate Mail
        level:75
        weight:420act
        cost:300000
        alloc:11:75 to 127
        attack:2d4:-4:0
        armor:90:20

The "act" bit is wrong, right?
        Something must have happened to your local version - mine's fine, as is github's.

Comment

• mrfy
          Swordsman
          • Jul 2015

Originally posted by Nick
          Yeah, I can reproduce most of this. I'll look into it.

EDIT: OK, my current guess (and it is only that) is that Catalina doesn't like writing, for example, lore.txt.new when it already has a lore.txt. If anyone has any actual knowledge to contribute to this, that would be most welcome. In short, upgrade to Catalina breaks Angband, cannot recommend.
          It does update the existing lore.txt with # of monsters killed and which uniques are dead, as long as I don't turn on sound or choose randarts. For now, I'm playing within those limitations.

I did a brief search and didn't see anything specific to changes, other than apps now have to be given access permissions to the Documents folder. In the Security & Privacy System Preferences, I do see that Angband has been given access to the Documents folder.
          Last edited by mrfy; October 13, 2019, 19:32.

Comment

• mrfy
            Swordsman
            • Jul 2015

Seeing a strange display bug with traps, not sure if this has been reported before. Playing in ascii mode, find a hidden trap, get the messages:

You fall into a spiked pit!
            You float gently to the bottom of the pit, neatly avoiding the spikes.

I continue down the corridor a few spaces since I don't see the trap. Back up, still no trap displayed get:

You have disarmed the pit.

I'll keep an eye out and see if I can get a save file.

Comment

• Nick
              Vanilla maintainer
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by mrfy
              Seeing a strange display bug with traps, not sure if this has been reported before. Playing in ascii mode, find a hidden trap, get the messages:

You fall into a spiked pit!
              You float gently to the bottom of the pit, neatly avoiding the spikes.

I continue down the corridor a few spaces since I don't see the trap. Back up, still no trap displayed get:

You have disarmed the pit.

I'll keep an eye out and see if I can get a save file.
              OK - there's also a thing where detected traps show as just floor until they're in sight. Possibly the two are related.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                Veteran
                • Jan 2009

I have just gone through looking for bug reports....

Please let me know if I've missed any.
                Bug: failing to learn rune of aggravation by use http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showpos...&postcount=124

Bug: monster with susceptibility to a particular element facing a weapon with multiple elemental damages, isn’t receiving the damage from the most dangerous element. http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showpos...&postcount=111
                “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
                ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Nick
                  Vanilla maintainer
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
                  Bug: failing to learn rune of aggravation by use http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showpos...&postcount=124
                  Thanks, I've added that to #2135, which was failure to learn trap immunity.

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
                  Bug: monster with susceptibility to a particular element facing a weapon with multiple elemental damages, isn’t receiving the damage from the most dangerous element. http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showpos...&postcount=111
                  Got that, it's #2138.

Comment

• wobbly
                    Prophet
                    • May 2012

OK - there's also a thing where detected traps show as just floor until they're in sight. Possibly the two are related.
                    They also don't vanish while disabled. Maybe a temporarily disabled trap should have its own symbol or colour?

Dimension door can enter a vault by missing.

Comment

• wobbly
                      Prophet
                      • May 2012

fear resistance wasn't id-ing when being hit to terrify in melee.

Comment

• DavidMedley
                        Veteran
                        • Oct 2019

Inscribing @p doesn't seem to work. Inscribing @m works with both m and p.
                        Please like my indie game company on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/RatherFunGames

Comment

• DavidMedley
                          Veteran
                          • Oct 2019

Great Deal!

Bought a Ring of the Mouse from the Black Market for 0 and sold it to the Magic Items shop for 576.
                          Please like my indie game company on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/RatherFunGames

Comment

• DavidMedley
                            Veteran
                            • Oct 2019

Really minor, but Remove Curse (priest spell, at least) doesn't check for combining items afterwards.

Comment

• Pondlife
                              Apprentice
                              • Mar 2010

If a giant throws a boulder you can't see, you get the message:

You hear a grunt of exertion
                              You are hit by something sharp

I don't think "sharp" is appropriate to boulders. "something heavy" maybe.
                              Playing roguelikes on and off since 1984.
                              rogue, hack, moria, nethack, angband & zangband.

Comment

• renato
                                Rookie
                                • Oct 2019

unrecoverable (?) crash when a controlled monster is trampled

Hi all! I'm a long-time player (since about 2006?) but this is my first message here on the forum.

I just had a crash when I had a white wraith under control (necromancer Command ritual) that was trampled by a horned reaper. On reloading, it crashes again if I try to move (even in illegal directions), or do any non-info command (~, =, e, i, l, [] etc. work). Tried already: r (my best shot, to "release" the trampled monster,), mazu{qwAE,.Rstopdghxcv; 'n' doesn't crash but does nothing either.

Do you have ideas on how I can continue the game? It's my second necromancer at CL 45 (the first had an early death).

Let me know if more info is needed.

[edit: attached save file]
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by renato; October 20, 2019, 01:56. Reason: attached save file

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎