Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ingwe Ingweron
    Veteran
    • Jan 2009

Ha ha ha, it must be a new anti-save-scumming initiative.
    “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
    ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Derakon
      Prophet
      • Dec 2009

Hm, next theory: your hard drive is dying or your filesystem is corrupt. Run a disk health check?

Comment

• Grotug
        Veteran
        • Nov 2013

Not a bad idea Derakon. Not sure when I'll get around to it, though, pretty busy the next couple weeks.

Meanwhile, I have to report on more oddness about that previous game. So as I posted, I gave up ever resuming my DL85 Ironman game again when the save file seemed to inexplicably become overwritten. Another thing that happened that I didn't mention last night is that my character inventory window last night reverted to the DL72 inventory (it had been showing DL85). Last night I started up a new character (same name: New character from save game). And just now as I return to my game I see the inventory windows are displaying from the DL85 game again! Where is this info being loaded? Is it still possible to load the game and if so how the heck do I find where to load it??

Look closely at this image. What is amiss? Notice the inventory windows; then look at the program window that is shown as a thumbnail because I have the mouse hovering over the application icon. The game window is the main menu of Angband (indicating no game is currently loaded). Where are the game sub-windows being generated from??? Any ideas how I can locate the game window for those sub-windows? I notice that when I click on the main game window it pops up additional sub-windows (that are blank since no game is loaded). In other words, it does not look like the DL85 sub-windows are at all associated with the main game window. Yet, oddly, my taskbar is not showing any other Angband app open that might be associated with the DL85 sub-windows.

In short: it appears that there are two instances of Angband currently open (as fph suggested) yet the taskbar only shows one instance of Angbad open.

EDIT: I just pressed CTRL-ALT DEL and found the second instance of Angband! I glicked on 'Expand' and voila! I am in my DL85 game again! I saved the game. I then closed the visible instance of Angband and then 'end task'ed on the phantom DL85 instance of Angband. Relaunched Angband, loaded 'Grotug' and yes, it loaded DL85 version of game.
        Last edited by Grotug; October 7, 2019, 22:20.
        Beginner's Guide to Angband 4.2.3 Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9c9e2wMngM

Detailed account of my Ironman win here.

"My guess is that Grip and Fang have many more kills than Gothmog and Lungorthin." --Fizzix

Comment

• DavidMedley
          Veteran
          • Oct 2019

Originally posted by Grotug
          loaded DL85 version of game.
          Nice work!
          Please like my indie game company on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/RatherFunGames

Comment

• DavidMedley
            Veteran
            • Oct 2019

Deep Sleep

Are you supposed to be able to slow monsters, zap them with light, etc, and not wake them if you do no HP damage? I would have thought these things would wake them up.
            Last edited by DavidMedley; October 8, 2019, 19:43.
            Please like my indie game company on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/RatherFunGames

Comment

• DavidMedley
              Veteran
              • Oct 2019

Selling Bad Potions

With selling turned on, are unidentified bad potions supposed to sell for 0? That's what I'm seeing, but they used to sell for the standard un-ID'ed amount. EDIT: I guess the merchant won't pay more than what it's worth, and he won't pay more than the standard potion selling price. So he has no downside now for buying potions that he obviously knows what they are but you don't.
              Last edited by DavidMedley; October 8, 2019, 21:12.

Comment

• fruviad
                Apprentice
                • Jan 2011

Here's a crash. Easy to repro, but not specific to 4.2, as I also have reproduced it on 4.1.3.

Go to town. Get 40 of one type of potion or scroll that you can consume or read repeatedly without being moved all over the map, or making you too full, or whatever. Good options: Blessing, Boldness, RCold, RHeat, etc.

Ensure you've descended to 50' at least once and returned to Town, whether by stairs or Recall.

Stand on an empty square and drop the scrolls or potions.

Read Word of Recall.

Read or Quaff the item on your square. Then use the 'n' option to repeat the last command. Continue doing this until you're dropped to the dungeon.

Use 'n' as the first command you issue on the dungeon level.

Crash.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                  Veteran
                  • Jan 2009

Bug: Lava -- when @ has fire immunity, one can walk into lava without having to deal with the confirmation query, but if one has fire immunity and runs into lava, you have to deal with the confirmation query every time.
                  “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
                  ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• DavidMedley
                    Veteran
                    • Oct 2019

Passable Rubble

I noticed some hounds were very confused by rubble that I could walk right over. It was like having a magic door!

Comment

• DavidMedley
                      Veteran
                      • Oct 2019

95 Energy/Blow

Iirc the energy tables have changed and there's now a 95 energy per blow entry. If this does anything (it must, right?) there's no mention of it in-game. Off-topic: can someone tell me what 95 energy per blow does? Give you like a 5% chance of getting a second blow?

Comment

• Derakon
                        Prophet
                        • Dec 2009

It causes the blow to use 95% of the time a normal blow would. You will never see the character make two blows in one attack; instead, perceptually enemies will get their turns less frequently as you're getting turn prompts 5% faster than normal.

The same goes for getting 1.8 blows per round -- you'll only every strike once per attack, but your turns come up nearly twice as frequently as they "should".

Comment

• DavidMedley
                          Veteran
                          • Oct 2019

Going back to what I was saying earlier, I frightened a sleeping enemy (OK... it was a squint-eyed rogue), it "flees it terror" but stays asleep heh

Comment

• Mark
                            Adept
                            • Oct 2007

In the artifact.txt data file, the value for the weight property of soulkeeper looks odd:

name:'Soulkeeper'
                            base-object:hard armour:Adamantite Plate Mail
                            level:75
                            weight:420act
                            cost:300000
                            alloc:11:75 to 127
                            attack:2d4:-4:0
                            armor:90:20

The "act" bit is wrong, right?

Comment

• Pussy Galore
                              Rookie
                              • Nov 2011

Two more issues

1) I'd like to add this crash to the list (not seeing it on Trac yet).

2) A minor, mostly cosmetic issue I found, not worth creating a new thread for: when using the Run command (.) and running into the edge of the screen, causing the map to recenter, the screen does not get updated properly in the presence of a "-more-" prompt; see the attached screenshot. This is, again, on Angband 4.2.0 on Windows 7 x86_64 using the precompiled binaries.

(EDIT: attached as a ZIP file, as the PNG's not displaying properly.)
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Nick
                                Vanilla maintainer
                                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Pussy Galore
                                1) I'd like to add this crash to the list (not seeing it on Trac yet).
                                Yes, that's just me being slack updating trac.

I am planning to look at all relevant threads and update (some time), but pointing things out more than once never hurts
                                One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                                In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎