• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tangar
    Veteran
    • Mar 2015

"Nick is going to butcher the game"

Angband’s lore destruction

There were loads of new awesome stuff came in Angband: new ID, traps, curses, new light effects etc. All this enhancement of the gameplay made Angband a bit different, but the better game overall. I know some guys (eg in Discord) who like old gameplay mechanics more, buy most of players enjoying evolution of the gameplay mechanics (and I'm among them).

But currently there are coming changes to monsters and races (game's lore actually) which are NOT liked by a lot of players. This changes pushed by huge Nick's authority, which he absolutely deserved by his work on the game. But what is more important: Nick's authority or Angband itself?

What made me to write this post? New LORE-based changes in Angband:

Originally posted by Nick
    Healer replaced by tamer (novice druid)
    Bandit replaced by ruffian (novice blackguard)
    Easterling warrior renamed warrior
    Master rogue renamed rogue
    Black knight tweaked and renamed blackguard
    This is just a small drop. If it was the only changes in games LORE - I won't created this thread. But it's a long lasting job on game's lore transformation. Loads of monsters changed depths (eg all nazguls now >75 lvl monsters.. Uvatha ), renamed, revamped.. NOT rebalanced, but revamped

So the question now - could we save vanilla Angand from destroying?

Why monsters are lore?

Overall I liked a lot of stuff Nick's doing, but all past monster revamp is really bad - when he just throw away monsters which were with us FOR YEARS. I understand that Nick got his own vision on the game, but it feels like a destroying the game which we knew. New version would certainly be not an oldschool classic Angband anymore, it's a new variant. I do not know why other players are silent or only approving Nick's changes to monsters.. It can not be that I'm the only one who can't bear it. I know some people who also said that "Nick is going to butcher the game" and they do not like this stuff. Why are you silent, guys?

Certain stuff shouldn't be changed. Angband doesn't have 'lore' like some other RPG's which got a static map and a rich storyline. The only 'lore' and 'spirit' of this game is concluded in monsters. Monsters in Angband - it's LORE, A WORLD. It's a CORE of the game. It should be preserved and threated with huge respect. It should be great cautious to put our dirty fingers at any of classic monsters, which loved by thousands of players.

Traps mechanics - alright. They were boring with trap detection. Curses.. Yeah - it was annoying not to be able to drop stuff. ID system.. New one made gameplay more rich. All this stuff is an enhancement of gameplay, but the game itself stayed the same. Because it had a) roguelike concept and b) WORLD (lore)

With changing WORLD you change the game. It's becoming not an 'Angband', but something different. It's not right to do this to ~30 year old game. People loved and KNOW the monsters. They recognize them by tiny sight and they understand what to expect from them because they played Angband for years.

I've created this separate topic, cause if I'll just a reply to 'feature/monster' topic, it would be quickly buried by Nick's supporters messages. I myself got HUGE respect to Nick, his work and his personality, he is great leader. But game design, coding and game's lore is different areas of responsibility. Maybe there should be different persons in charge for this particular game component. Let's Nick would be lead gamedesigner and coder, but someone else would take lore-based decisions in their hand - some of Angband veterans. Or even create a 'council' of veterants - like 3-5 past V-maintainers who would vote for LORE-based changes.

What else could I add.. I have my own variant which would preserve classic stuff in it. I won't ever touch any respectable monster, because I'm in love with them. I know each and everyone there. Of course, monster's itself should be rebalanced sometimes, but their LORE - names and depth where you find them - wouldn't be changed. It shouldn't be changed. It's a core of the game.

Angaband is RNG-based game; I mean when each dungeon levels is created - we do not know what to expect there. The only things which we expect - is certain monsters. Each one is good known and got it's own special place. You won't meet Nazguls at -50, you know it and it's one of small static things in absolutely RNG game. The only thing which we have is lore and our knowledge of it. Please don't take it away.

The right way - is to add new stuff and to enhance the game, not to cut it's parts. How come that I'm as a huge Tolkien fan (damm I even runned in the forests with wooden sword in real life) - do not like current Angband tolkienization? Because it's a conflict of interests - Tolkien lore VS Angband lore. Sorry, but Angband is not a fanfic Tolkien website to bend it like this. In Angband 'game' it's lore and traditions more precious then Tolkien heritage. Nick doesn't feel like this it seems But even Gandalf was mistaken a lot of times. Let's go back...
    https://tangaria.com - Angband multiplayer variant
    tangaria.com/variants - Angband variants table
    tangar.info - my website ⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽
    youtube.com/GameGlaz — streams in English ⍽ youtube.com/StreamGuild — streams in Russian
  • clouded
    Swordsman
    • Jun 2012

This is absolute nonsense, you haven't even played vanilla angband and no right to act like you own the game. Nick is a fantastic maintainer and is extremely open to other people's views and ideas, and to upholding the spirit of Angband. If you had been around the main Angband community (not the tomenet one) for more than a month you would realise how many times a discussion about "don't develop vanilla" has come up and how embarrasing this topic looks.
    Last edited by clouded; February 15, 2019, 08:16.

Comment

• tangar
      Veteran
      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by clouded
      This is absolute nonsense, you haven't even played vanilla angband and no right to act like you own the game. Nick is a fantastic maintainer and is extremely open to other people's views and ideas, and to upholding the spirit of Angband. If you had been around the main Angband community (not the tomenet one) for more than a month you would realise how many times a discussion about "don't develop vanilla" has come up and how embarrasing this topic looks.
      Thanks for a feedback. But it seems that you do not have anything to say about the subject of this topic, you only speaking about my personality. I'm touched with such attention, but still I kindly ask you to do not distract attention from the subject of this discussion.

Also please read my message more carefully one more time (if you actually bothered to read it once, which I doubt); then you would see that I respect Nick greatly, but do not agree with his past decisions. I have all rights to express my feelings in this direction; I'm sure that Nick himself would approve having alternative vision on this matters.
      https://tangaria.com - Angband multiplayer variant
      tangaria.com/variants - Angband variants table
      tangar.info - my website ⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽
      youtube.com/GameGlaz — streams in English ⍽ youtube.com/StreamGuild — streams in Russian

Comment

• Pahasusi
        Rookie
        • Feb 2019

Hei,

long-time lurker here (7 years??), player of Angband since 1995 or so, done my Nethack, ADOM etc...

I made an account just to come here and post my couple of cents. What the OP wrote is in my opinion completely wrong.

I'm not bothered by the mixing of different ages of Middle Earth - what irritates me is the mixing of religious mythology, D&D monsters, David Eddings and who knows how many other sources to Middle Earth context.

Angband to me represents Tolkien's world. Removing all the outliers, D&D monsters and "funny" monsters just enhances the game - makes it more coherent and unique experience.

Going through the monsters, giving epic Tolkieny villains (for example Nazguls) their rightful place at the top of the monster food chain instead of just being pushovers is exactly the right choice.

What Nick has done to the game is great! It feels vibrant, evolving game once again, not stagnant pit that tries to preserve "a mix of bit of everything".

So I say go for it Nick! Realize your vision while taking feedback like you have done so far - those who want to stay with the old Angband can do so, but it's my opinion it's high time this great, classic game got someone with your vision to maintain it

Comment

• Thraalbee
          Knight
          • Sep 2010

As reminder. No one will change what is already released. Anyone can make new forks and variants. Nick has no exclusive rights for this. However, he does have very strong support from the community because of being careful, open and listening. Now, if let's say AC/DC were to publish a new album I don't like, would it be reasonable to claim they are ruining my acdc record collection? Some albums (or versions of *band) may not be the thing for me. But, the alternative - no releases is not appealing. And again, anyone is free to pickup the source and publish the "right" version.

Comment

• Philip
            Knight
            • Jul 2009

I, uh, recommend checking out how other maintainers have fundamentally changed the game (complete with lore) in the past.

Anyway, I find the past maintainer council probably the funniest and most revealing of your suggestions. First, generally, maintainers stop being maintainers because they stop having the time or inclination it on V. Therefore, I would not expect them to actually participate very much. Most of the past maintainers are unreachable at this point. However, Takkaria is still around, and seems to approve of Nick's activity. Derakon used to be part of the dev team, and not only does he apparently approve of most of the changes, he comments when he does not, and his opinions are taken into account. Lastly, past maintainers have in fact frequently made significant changes to the game, and I would expect them to more or less automatically vote in favor of whatever the current person wants to do, out of solidarity if nothing else. As for a non-maintainers council, that's all of us in the forum. We don't have any formal power, but Nick does listen. He put back Ochre Jellies and Gelatinous cubes because Derakon and I asked. If you find that you do not have much influence, perhaps you ought to look at your conduct and see if there might be reasons for that.

The current monsters are not some sort of perfectly designed ecosystem. They are more like a pile of individual statblocks, with perhaps some level of internal consistency at the genus level. The fact that they are the current monster list and that the game is fun does not mean they are a good monster list.

When you assert that a lot of people do not like these changes, and then ask why nobody else seems to be complaining, I think maybe that contradicts your assertion?

Comment

• debo
              Veteran
              • Oct 2011

I'm happy to see everything change 🤷*♂️
              Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• Nick
                Vanilla maintainer
                • Apr 2007

I'm rather fond of my current signature, otherwise the title of this thread would make a perfect new one

Seriously, I'm glad that these changes have provoked a bit of discussion. Not everyone is going to have the same vision for the game, and what we end up with will be a compromise. The more views are out there, the better chance of it being a compromise everyone can live with.

I have thought fairly hard about the monster changes, but they are certainly not perfect. I'll say some more on specifics in the feature/monster thread, but the general point is that this is a first attempt at revision of the monster list. I'm intending that some more things will change, and I'm sure that some things will change back. What I would like to see, though is more feedback from people who have spent a decent time playing with the new monsters in place (I have had quite a bit already, which I'm very grateful for).

In the end this is the community's game, and any changes I make that aren't acceptable to the community won't last very long - either I will take them out or someone else will. I certainly will not be maintainer for ever.

PS debo see how everyone else loves being chased by a million acid monsters?
                One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Rydel
                  Apprentice
                  • Jul 2008

I haven't played vanilla in a while - I've been meaning to, but I've been busy with other projects, but I wonder if the examples you gave might be a bit weak. I understand that monster that are individually forgettable can still add to the whole of the experience, but the examples of name changes you gave mostly don't change the feel.

Now, the Healer to Tamer and Easterling Warrior to Warrior do seem to be noticable flavor changes, and I'm curious as to why they changed. I'll probably need to read over the 20 page feature/monster thread unless someone knows why they changed.

For Bandit and Master Rogue, if I recall correctly, there are multiple monsters with those names. Were they all changed or just some? If it's just some, I can see reasons for this. Renaming a lower level Bandit to Ruffian can clue the player in that the later Bandits are are different, stronger monster. For Master Rogue, I remember that several of the monsters named after classes get a Master version later. Did the Rogue switch to Master Rogue earlier than the others? If so, having it switch names around the same time make sense.

For the Black Knight becoming Blackguard, I think most players who encounter a Black Knight don't think about a knight with no heraldry and likely no alliegance, probably turned to brigandry. They think of the Black Knight from Monty Python and the Holy Grail, which doesn't seem the be the feel the game is going for. Blackguard still maintains the feel that the term Black Knight used to have.

With the Nazgul, being some of Sauron's most powerful servants, why shouldn't they be deep? A lot of them were rather non-threatening considering what they were supposed to be.

Of course, as I said, I have played the latest versions, so my memory may be way off the mark. Grain of salt and all that.
                  I'm trying to think of an analogy, and the best I can come up with is Angband is like fishing for sharks, and Sil is like hunting a bear with a pocket knife and a pair of chopsticks. It's not great. -Nick

Comment

• emulord
                    Adept
                    • Oct 2009

I liked the "kitchen sink" mythology of past versions, but the game should evolve over time. Past versions are still available so its just more options imo.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                      Prophet
                      • Apr 2007

Amusingly, Easterling Warrior is a very new name. Until recently it was 'hardened warrior' or 'swordsman.'
                      Last edited by Pete Mack; February 15, 2019, 18:16.

Comment

• NightLizard
                        Rookie
                        • Dec 2018

Originally posted by tangar

But currently there are coming changes to monsters and races (game's lore actually) which are NOT liked by a lot of players.
                        From this thread and the thread where Nick proposes the changes I think it looks like it is quite well received.

Originally posted by tangar

This changes pushed by huge Nick's authority, which he absolutely deserved by his work on the game. But what is more important: Nick's authority or Angband itself?
                        He doesn't change by "authority". He openly describes his ideas, asks for feedback and really listen to what the community say. And it seems these changes are mostly met by enthusiasm.

It is natural to have reactions to change. I also think "but I was used to that..." when I see a change (lore or not), but all that is being done is to make the lore more consistent and to make Angband feel more like Angband. The changes are also quite humble, and as others mentioned: things have changed before.

Comment

• Derakon
                          Prophet
                          • Dec 2009

Other people have addressed other parts of your post, so I'll limit myself to this:

It's good to care deeply about the game. That's great! Angband is a great game and people are passionate about it. And it's good to have strong opinions about what the game should be like, and to like or dislike changes that are made to the game. Just recognize these two facts:

* Just because you don't like a change doesn't mean it is necessarily objectively a bad change.
                          * The instant Angband stops changing is the instant it dies.

It is quite literally impossible to please everyone with every change, and I daresay it is similarly difficult to not displease someone with every change! But change is vital to keeping the game alive. If it stops changing, then there stops being much to talk about, and eventually the community peters out. It might take years, decades even considering how long Angband has been around, but it will die eventually so long as it is not a "living document".

Considering that change is vital, then, you have to take the bad with the good. Some changes are going to displease you. Ideally you will find the majority of changes pleasing, not least because the maintainer typically only works on the game because they want people to play it.

But please do not scream to the heavens about how Angband has been ruined by the latest change that you personally do not like. If you can't convince people with calmer arguments, histrionics are unlikely to do any better.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                            Prophet
                            • Apr 2007

More notably, besides the nazgul, none of these changes is particularly good. And Uvatha really is too weak, though I am not sure they should go all the way to dl70.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                              Veteran
                              • Jan 2009

+1 to everything Derakon said. Tangar, once again your post is quite offensive, perhaps without meaning to be, but offensive nonetheless. And how is that you have the end-all-be-all survey of what "LOT'S" of Angband players feel about the changes? If anyone's posts smack of being power-mad, it's yours!
                              “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
                              ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎