Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

New builds are up on the nightlies page and on angband.live with the following changes:
    • If the player is in a web and tries to move or attack it gets cleared automatically without a prompt (at the cost of a turn)
    • Player can no longer run through webs
    • Fire destroys webs
    • Hunger has been adjusted so that eating when not full can never make you gorged
    • The properties and combat lines in object.txt have been expanded to make it more readable
    • Upgrade to digging: the tunnel command automatically uses the best digger the player has in their pack if its better than what's currently in the weapon slot (at no turn cost)
    • Further adjustment to light so that it is purely additive by light source
    • Ego lanterns of Shadows added

Note that this light change is a reversion to the way it worked several years ago where the player could get a huge light radius by wearing several pieces of gear with permanent light. The light code is very straighforward now; let me know if there are any weird effects caused by it.
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• wobbly
      Prophet
      • May 2012

Originally posted by Nick
      [*]If the player is in a web and tries to move or attack it gets cleared automatically without a prompt (at the cost of a turn)
      Good though currently spiders can web the player square with no visible change. Add webbed on the bottom of the display?

[*]The properties and combat lines in object.txt have been expanded to make it more readable
      Merging & I hate you right now.
      (Though admittedly it is easier to read.)

Comment

• Nick
        Vanilla maintainer
        • Apr 2007

Another quick update on the nightlies page and angband.live, with changes:
        • Monsters will now get out of lava if it forms where they are standing and it's hurting them
        • Lost blows from stumbling during a shield bash now cost energy
        • LASH effect (spit and whip spells) now show correct values in lore
        Bug/change list reduced from over 50 to under 40 this weekend.

Comment

• Huqhox
          Adept
          • Apr 2016

Great work Nick. Thank you so much for the effort you are putting in

The digger change is going to take a lot of tedium out of digging
          "This has not been a recording"

Comment

• jevansau
            Adept
            • Jan 2009

Hi,

Trying a High Elf Necromancer with the latest build, 445, and I think there is an issue with light in that the square I am on is always lit, and I appear to have the corresponding spell failure rate.
            No light source and no light emitting equipment. In fact I saw this right from the start with nothing equipped.

Savefile and randart file attached.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Nick
              Vanilla maintainer
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by jevansau
              Trying a High Elf Necromancer with the latest build, 445, and I think there is an issue with light in that the square I am on is always lit, and I appear to have the corresponding spell failure rate.
              No light source and no light emitting equipment. In fact I saw this right from the start with nothing equipped.
              Nice catch, I've stuffed up the lighting system. Working on a fix now.

EDIT: OK, found and fixed, the fix will be in the next build.
              Last edited by Nick; June 3, 2019, 13:15. Reason: Done!

Comment

• Grotug
                Veteran
                • Nov 2013

I'm still periodically playing my April 29th nightly build of High Elf Warrior and am noticing that staves on the ground disappear when I walk over them.

I'm not picking the staves up (also notice that the tile where the staves are is black and not a dot).
                • Upgrade to digging: the tunnel command automatically uses the best digger the player has in their pack if its better than what's currently in the weapon slot (at no turn cost)
                Yippee!!! Man I do appreciate upgrades like this! I do tire of trying to dig through granite because I thought I was on my digger when I was actually on my main gauche.

You must some spread Reputation around a bit before you give it to Nick again
                Oh, poo....
                Last edited by Grotug; June 3, 2019, 15:21.
                Beginner's Guide to Angband 4.2.3 Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9c9e2wMngM

Detailed account of my Ironman win here.

"My guess is that Grip and Fang have many more kills than Gothmog and Lungorthin." --Fizzix

Comment

• Adam
                  Adept
                  • Feb 2016

Hello Nick,
                  Thanks for the update, one question about diggers - can such an improvement be added for rings of digging? i usually prefer carrying a ring because the diggers are heavy. I know that it can go into 2 slots but the w - <ring of digging> - c/d - T - w - <original ring> - c/d is also boring so I think auto-replacing with the worse ring would be fine (I don't remember seeing a randart armor/gloves etc with tunneling bonus but it would be also an interesting point if those should be used).

Comment

• Nick
                    Vanilla maintainer
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Adam
                    Hello Nick,
                    Thanks for the update, one question about diggers - can such an improvement be added for rings of digging? i usually prefer carrying a ring because the diggers are heavy. I know that it can go into 2 slots but the w - <ring of digging> - c/d - T - w - <original ring> - c/d is also boring so I think auto-replacing with the worse ring would be fine (I don't remember seeing a randart armor/gloves etc with tunneling bonus but it would be also an interesting point if those should be used).
                    I kind of think no. To me rings of digging are a small quality of life improvement for when you have nothing better for the ring slot, and the main means of digging should be a digging tool. That's actually part of what's behind this - encouraging players to use a digging tool instead of their weapon.

What do others think?

Comment

• Nick
                      Vanilla maintainer
                      • Apr 2007

Nice catch, I've stuffed up the lighting system. Working on a fix now.

EDIT: OK, found and fixed, the fix will be in the next build.
                      Actually I have realised there's a deeper flaw in the lighting changes, it will require some more thought.

Comment

• Hounded
                        Adept
                        • Jan 2019

I kind of think no. To me rings of digging are a small quality of life improvement for when you have nothing better for the ring slot, and the main means of digging should be a digging tool. That's actually part of what's behind this - encouraging players to use a digging tool instead of their weapon.

What do others think?
                        Sounds like a tweak to be exploited without actually benefiting the game-play.

I actually preferred the old "Auxiliary Weapon" field in the Equipment list. I would usually stack that with my preferred digger so I could easily switch between combat and digging mode.

I'm leary of automation to the inventory/equipment list as it can easily creep to other equipment as in the example mentioned. A large part of the game is having to make those choices as to what to equip vs. what's lurking around in my pack "just in case". Sometimes you forget to use the better device... that's part of the experience and how we get better.
                        It Breathes. You die.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                          Prophet
                          • Apr 2007

Rings of digging give STM, which lets you set up a fight for archery. They also give you +4 or better digging with zero weight, which is far better than any non-artifact digger. So yeah they matter, ar leadt until you are strong enough to knock doen walks

Comment

• wobbly
                            Prophet
                            • May 2012

Was the change that made TO-ing sleeping monsters not wake them intentional? I assume it happened when you made sleep monster not wake things, it's been there for a while I've just never been sure whether it was a bug or deliberate.

Comment

• wobbly
                              Prophet
                              • May 2012

Code:
                              /* Monster is too pathetic, don't bother */

if (mon->race->level < p->lev / 2) return false;
                              I'm not convinced by this, 295 turns in my lvl 4 kobold blackguard thinks soldiers are too pathetic even though they are still dangerous to him.
                              Edit:Oh he doesn't yet, I'd need to be lvl 6, still seems.. possibly iffy
                              Last edited by wobbly; June 4, 2019, 10:04.

Comment

• Diego Gonzalez
                                Adept
                                • May 2007

It seems odd to me that a blackguard gets 1.6 initial blows with a dagger, while a rogue gets 3. Shield bashes compensate this in the early game?

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎