X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

Angband 4.1.3

Angband 4.1.3 is now available for Windows and macOS and as source (zipfile or tarball); rephial should be updated before too long. This is intended as the final 4.1.x release, containing bugfixes and minor improvements over 4.1.2 as detailed below. Please play and enjoy.

My intention now is to incorporate the feature/magic branch into master and work towards 4.2.

Changes:
    • Passable rubble tiles distinguished from regular rubble
    • Details of different summon types moved to a data file
    • Tweaks to some potions and scrolls
    • Minor improvements to monster lore
    • Reduction in frequency of traps and greater vaults
    • Show if monsters are hasted and slowed when targeting

Bugfixes:
    • Correct weapon damage and blows information
    • Fix several minor ID and knowledge bugs
    • Correct some spelling errors in text files
    • Check bounds properly in targeting, preventing the game hanging
    • Fix some interesting room descriptions which were causing disconnected levels
    • Small adjustments to object structures
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
  • fizzix
    Prophet
    • Aug 2009

I might consider naming the feature/magic branch version 5.0

Comment

• Nick
      Vanilla maintainer
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by fizzix
      Possibly. Plenty of time to think about it

Comment

• PowerWyrm
        Prophet
        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by fizzix
        Definitely. This version will be as far as 4.0 than 4.0 was from frog-knows.
        PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• spara
          Adept
          • Nov 2014

Small stuff. The name of the Ring of Teleportation is revealed too early. On wearing an unknown ring @ sees that the ring grants +2 speed and has some unknown powers. Conveniently the name of the ring (Ring of Teleportation) helps @ to guess at least one of the unknown powers.

Comment

• Derakon
            Prophet
            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by spara
            Small stuff. The name of the Ring of Teleportation is revealed too early. On wearing an unknown ring @ sees that the ring grants +2 speed and has some unknown powers. Conveniently the name of the ring (Ring of Teleportation) helps @ to guess at least one of the unknown powers.
            This one's arguable. A player who knows what kinds of items are possible in the game is going to know that any ring that grants a speed bonus, but does not make the wearer afraid, and has one other rune, can only be a Ring of Teleportation, because no other rings have that combination of properties. So it's obvious (if you know the item list and are willing to do basic deductions) as soon as you put it on.

So on the one hand, the game is spoiling players by revealing things that they might not know about yet. On the other hand, the game is saving players from having to tediously note down things that they can easily discover themselves once they have enough experience with the game. Do we optimize for the first time the player plays the game, when they don't know that Rings of Teleportation are a thing? Or do we optimize for every succeeding playthrough? In general I feel it's better for a roguelike to optimize for the repeat plays.

Comment

• Mondkalb
              Knight
              • Apr 2007

The same goes for ring of resist fire and cold. If you discover the resist fire rune, you know immediately what this ring is and you should also know the rune for cold resist.
              There are several other similar cases.

I think the runes and the nature of the items should be revealed to the player, because it just adds tediousness to reveal what you already know.
              Another possibility would be to add more items with resembling properties, so that you wouldn't instantly know which item you have by revealing one or two properties.
              My Angband winners so far

My FAangband efforts so far

Comment

• spara
                Adept
                • Nov 2014

Yep. With the current persistent objects, revealing runes one by one from objects you already know from experience is a bit tedious. The Ring of Teleportation is a bit special in my opinion, since the ring could be a lesser Ring of Speed, if such things existed. Currently the Ring of Prot of Fire and Cold should definitely reveal itself the moment either of the abilities is revealed. It would be a different case if there were random mixtures of protections in rings available. For example a Ring of Prot from Fire and Sound. I would not mind finding rings with strange combinations of protections, might even make the game more interesting.

Comment

• Voovus
                  Adept
                  • Feb 2018

Maybe we should have randrings?

Comment

• Mondkalb
                    Knight
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Voovus
                    Maybe we should have randrings?
                    And so Nick's evil plan is discovered. There is something like that in FAangband. ^^

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                      Veteran
                      • Jan 2009

Minor text file description omissions/errors.

“format” terms in p_race.txt

“skill-disarm:base”, should now be two lines:
                      skill-disarm-phys:base
                      skill-disarm-magic:base

“flags:, should now be three lines:
                      obj-flags
                      player-flags
                      values

(and correction in the description of “play-flags” should be “player-flags”)

“format” terms in class.txt

“name:class number:class name” should just be “name:class name” and corresponding description should delete the serial number requirements

“skill-disarm:base:increment”, should now be two lines:
                      skill-disarm-phys:base:increment
                      skill-disarm-magic:base:increment

should have a “realm:realm” format line (already have the corresponding description)
                      “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
                      ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• PowerWyrm
                        Prophet
                        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Mondkalb
                        The same goes for ring of resist fire and cold. If you discover the resist fire rune, you know immediately what this ring is and you should also know the rune for cold resist.
                        I disagree. Someone who plays for the first time has no idea that the only ring that grants rFire also grants rCold. Knowledge code should assume that a newly created character knows nothing about what's in the text files.
                        PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• Mondkalb
                          Knight
                          • Apr 2007

That goes for the very first play of a new player only.

Comment

• Nick
                            Vanilla maintainer
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by spara
                            Yeah, technically a bug. Rings and amulets of teleportation are the only plain objects which have a curse as part of their definition, and the ID code doesn't deal with that properly.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                              Veteran
                              • Jan 2009

Bug: Show if monsters are hasted and slowed when targeting doesn't always work.

Haven't been able to figure out why, but @ just fought Polyphemus and, though he was slowed, then "more slowed", targeting never revealed the slowing. I thought it might be because he was also wounded and confused, or unique, but none of those explanations apply to the next few monsters and unique @ tested on. If I encounter the intermittent bug again, I'll try and get a savefile for you, or if on angband.live, ask Gwarl to send it to you.

EDIT: Okay, slow a Great Wyrm of Thunder. Message text will say the monster is slowed, but targeting does not show it.
                              Last edited by Ingwe Ingweron; July 24, 2018, 15:06.
                              “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
                              ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎