X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Derakon
    Prophet
    • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
    What does this mean? Morgoth won't summon if you fight him while he's alone? Huh?
    This is specifically referring to a paladin ability to force single combat with a foe, where neither can escape until one is dead. Since summoning doesn't work anyway, the foe now won't waste turns on trying it.

Comment

• Nick
      Vanilla maintainer
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
      Any ETA of the lore.txt / monster.txt fix?
      I knew there was something I was forgetting. Do you know if his is specific to this branch, or whether it is in 4.1.2?

EDIT: OK, looks like it's only this branch, I have a fix, and it will be in the next update.
      Last edited by Nick; March 22, 2018, 20:33. Reason: Actually check
      One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
      In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• jevansau
        Adept
        • Jan 2009

Looks like the rogue detect stairs is still wrong. Just needs the dice line changed to an effect line.

Comment

• Nick
          Vanilla maintainer
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by jevansau
          Looks like the rogue detect stairs is still wrong. Just needs the dice line changed to an effect line.
          Thanks for the reminder.

Comment

• Nick
            Vanilla maintainer
            • Apr 2007

OK, new builds for Windows and macOS now up on the build page - source zipfile is here. Copying monster.txt to lore.txt now works again, and Rogue detect stairs is fixed.

Comment

• PowerWyrm
              Prophet
              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Derakon
              This is specifically referring to a paladin ability to force single combat with a foe, where neither can escape until one is dead. Since summoning doesn't work anyway, the foe now won't waste turns on trying it.
              This basically means Maeglin is screwed if challenged by a Paladin right? Or worse, Qzzllqzzulp...
              PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• mrfy
                Swordsman
                • Jul 2015

Trying out the new Blackguard class. Early on, I get in a hand-to-hand with Snagas and get the messages:

You get in a shield bash!
                You stumble!
                You miss the Snaga.
                The Snaga is stunned.

So I'm hitting him with my Wicker Shield instead of primary weapon when this happens?

Comment

• Nick
                  Vanilla maintainer
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by mrfy
                  Trying out the new Blackguard class. Early on, I get in a hand-to-hand with Snagas and get the messages:

You stumble!
                  You miss the Snaga.
                  The Snaga is stunned.

So I'm hitting him with my Wicker Shield instead of primary weapon when this happens?
                  Blackguards get a chance to bash with their shield sometimes, before they hit with their weapon. Sometimes they then stumble, and get less blows.

The amount of damage you inflict with a shield bash is based on the dice for your shield (1d1), with a multiplier that's based on player weight (including gear), DEX, player level, and shield weight. Good bashes can confuse or stun.

This is all taken from shield bashes in O, modified a bit.

Comment

• mrfy
                    Swordsman
                    • Jul 2015

Originally posted by Nick
                    Blackguards get a chance to bash with their shield sometimes, before they hit with their weapon. Sometimes they then stumble, and get less blows.

The amount of damage you inflict with a shield bash is based on the dice for your shield (1d1), with a multiplier that's based on player weight (including gear), DEX, player level, and shield weight. Good bashes can confuse or stun.

This is all taken from shield bashes in O, modified a bit.
                    Thanks. It adds a new dimension to melee, which I like so far.

It wasn't entirely clear that the "You get in a shield bash!" generated damage, since it didn't report how much. I do have the Show damage player deals to monsters option on.

Comment

• Nick
                      Vanilla maintainer
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by mrfy
                      It wasn't entirely clear that the "You get in a shield bash!" generated damage, since it didn't report how much. I do have the Show damage player deals to monsters option on.
                      OK, that's something for me to add.

Comment

• Thraalbee
                        Knight
                        • Sep 2010

Just finished an ironman game as Blackguard. Really fun class but also the easiest I've tried. Won as ironman on the first attempt.
                        However, I don't find the class much overpowered except for the stunning effect on the shield bash. Except Cantoras and a few more, most ultra high level uniques were stunned all of the fight and thus much easier to kill than for a fighter. Even Morgoth was stunned from early on to the end.

The bloodthirst spell (or whatever it is called) was fun. Didn't use it that much, but I really like it!

Comment

• Nick
                          Vanilla maintainer
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Thraalbee
                          Just finished an ironman game as Blackguard. Really fun class but also the easiest I've tried. Won as ironman on the first attempt.
                          However, I don't find the class much overpowered except for the stunning effect on the shield bash. Except Cantoras and a few more, most ultra high level uniques were stunned all of the fight and thus much easier to kill than for a fighter. Even Morgoth was stunned from early on to the end.

The bloodthirst spell (or whatever it is called) was fun. Didn't use it that much, but I really like it!
                          Thanks, that is helpful. I kind of thought it would probably be OP - I didn't think very hard about precise balance - but I hadn't figured the shield bashing as the worst offender.

Comment

• Thraalbee
                            Knight
                            • Sep 2010

Forgot to tell this - it is so gratifying to meet gmm's and stun them and see the blue stars all the fight!

Comment

• Ighalli
                              Scout
                              • Oct 2017

Just encountered an inventory bug in aa672ce. The Ring of Flames was not ignored, but was ignored and auto dropped when I picked up the weapon Farmer Maggot dropped. When I hit 'K' and grabbed the ring again, it was once again not marked as {ignore}.

You have slain Farmer Maggot.
                              You have a Lucerne Hammer (2d5) (+2,+2) (v).
                              You drop a Ring of Flames [+10] {ignore} (r).
                              You have no more Rings of Flames [+10] {ignore} (r).
                              You have a Ring of Flames [+10] (r).

Edit: attached the save right after this happened.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Ighalli; March 31, 2018, 22:40.

Comment

• Thraalbee
                                Knight
                                • Sep 2010

For Blackguard, three suggestions

1) rather than nerf melee, how about starting at -1 for regen (as when using e.g. =OpenWounds) and with regen item only get normal regen (same as other characters default)
                                2) reduce chance to stun high level monsters and uniques
                                3) at level 35 or 40, permanent Hero and Berserk. As it is now you can cycle through your mana a few times and cast them. They will stay a long time...
                                [edit] 4) Powerful blow now works as poor man's stone-to-mud. The thrown monster will break one wall tile unless it is permanent. Not sure this is reasonable.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎