X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Voovus
    Adept
    • Feb 2018

Originally posted by Nick
    If my theory is correct, you would have had speed > 28 when the Uldor crash happened?

Yes, that would help.
    Here's a savefile in town, where the armoury has some ??'s and stealing from Farmer Maggot causes a crash.

Just experimented a bit with the speed theory, and I think you may be right. Can't test Uldor specifically, but very likely had >28.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
      Veteran
      • Jan 2009

Okay, at Gwarl's urging I've finally started a feature branch @, and found my first bug before even descending.

Not wanting to recreate monster memory from scratch, Gwarl copied monster.txt to lore.txt for me on angband.live. Unfortunately, the @'s monster information shows only 2 uniques known (maggot and christmas). I'm going to download and see if the same problem occurs for offline play.

EDIT: Yes, same thing occurs for offline play.
      Last edited by Ingwe Ingweron; March 15, 2018, 01:27.
      “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
      ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Nick
        Vanilla maintainer
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Voovus
        Here's a savefile in town, where the armoury has some ??'s and stealing from Farmer Maggot causes a crash.

Just experimented a bit with the speed theory, and I think you may be right. Can't test Uldor specifically, but very likely had >28.
        Thanks, will check later.

If I'm right, the crash occurs when player speed is greater than or equal to monster level + monster speed.
        One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
        In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Nick
          Vanilla maintainer
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
          Okay, at Gwarl's urging I've finally started a feature branch @, and found my first bug before even descending.

Not wanting to recreate monster memory from scratch, Gwarl copied monster.txt to lore.txt for me on angband.live. Unfortunately, the @'s monster information shows only 2 uniques known (maggot and christmas). I'm going to download and see if the same problem occurs for offline play.

EDIT: Yes, same thing occurs for offline play.
          OK thanks, will check.

Comment

• mrfy
            Swordsman
            • Jul 2015

OK thanks, will check.
            I can confirm this bug too. Just downloaded the recent version of the branch (Angband-osx-4.1.2-144-g25a064f.dmg), unpacked, copied the new monster.txt to lore.txt, and the monster memory is a bit sparse.

Comment

• mrfy
              Swordsman
              • Jul 2015

Started a new druid character and ran across the Book [Survival Skills] at 50'. Thought it was odd that it was the same color as the Druid book Lesser Charms, so i've been carrying it around thinking I'd eventually get to see the spells in it. But of course that's not how the books work, as I see it's a book for Rangers.

So I guess my question is, should that still show up in the same color? it's a bit confusing.

Comment

• Nick
                Vanilla maintainer
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by mrfy
                Started a new druid character and ran across the Book [Survival Skills] at 50'. Thought it was odd that it was the same color as the Druid book Lesser Charms, so i've been carrying it around thinking I'd eventually get to see the spells in it. But of course that's not how the books work, as I see it's a book for Rangers.

So I guess my question is, should that still show up in the same color? it's a bit confusing.
                Yeah, I should do the O/FA trick of making those books show as grey in the inventory.

Comment

• mrfy
                  Swordsman
                  • Jul 2015

Weirdness happening in the shops too, which I think Voovus reported in a previous message. Seeing things like "40 Shovels (1d2) (+0,+0) {??}" in the General Store, and even after purchasing said shovel. I bought a Wicker Shield [2,+0] {??} from the Armoury which turned out to be [2,+2] which was fine, but the Armoury still has it listed as [2,+0] {??}. Mauglin the Grumpy had more than one in inventory.

Comment

• Sky
                    Veteran
                    • Oct 2016

let's see.
                    "i can take this dracolich"

Comment

• Sky
                      Veteran
                      • Oct 2016

new mage is cute, but .. no TS, no Light, and limited to 2 books. we'll see what happens next, but i can already feel weaker.

lack of stinking cloud means you cannot pull mobs who sleep around a corner. electric arc is very cool when it comes to killing many low level mobs.
                      Last edited by Sky; March 15, 2018, 11:10.

Comment

• Nick
                        Vanilla maintainer
                        • Apr 2007

OK, new builds up on the build page for macOS and Windows (source zipfile here). Main observable changes are:
                        • Adjustment to extra shots for artifacts, randarts and egos
                        • Stealing crash fixed (I believe)
                        • Shop description weirdness fixed (I believe)
                        • Unreadable books are now all coloured grey in the player's inventory

Comment

• Sky
                          Veteran
                          • Oct 2016

i'm not sure if real of if i dreamed it, but did i just get 600 XP for casting Acid Spray for the first time ???

Comment

• Sky
                            Veteran
                            • Oct 2016

so, is the necromancer playable?? is it in the default new-magic build?

Comment

• fph
                              Veteran
                              • Apr 2009

Yeah, I should do the O/FA trick of making those books show as grey in the inventory.
                              Suggestion: a more radical change in the same direction that you could consider would be forbidding unreadable books from being generated at all in the game. They are functionally junk items. They are confusing for newbies, and they are only a source of frustration for expert users (when you find one out of depth).
                              --
                              Dive fast, die young, leave a high-CHA corpse.

Comment

• Nick
                                Vanilla maintainer
                                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by fph
                                Suggestion: a more radical change in the same direction that you could consider would be forbidding unreadable books from being generated at all in the game. They are functionally junk items. They are confusing for newbies, and they are only a source of frustration for expert users (when you find one out of depth).
                                I've considered this, but I like the sense that it gives of there being more to the world than the character you're currently playing. Certainly when I was starting out, I found the idea of books I couldn't read intriguing.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎