X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sky
    Veteran
    • Oct 2016

wth, how does this stupid spell work, i can't targ...ooh

ok, *maybe* the AOE that targets every mob in sight is just so slightly overpowered.
    "i can take this dracolich"

Comment

• Derakon
      Prophet
      • Dec 2009

You mean like Staves of Dispel Evil?

Comment

• Sky
        Veteran
        • Oct 2016

yes like a infinite-charges staff of dispel evil.
        "i can take this dracolich"

Comment

• PowerWyrm
          Prophet
          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Estie
          How many druid books are there ?

Edit: I looked it up, there are 5.
          You won't be able to find book #5 because it conflicts with the Priest 5th book "Wrath of the Valar". To fix that, edit class.txt and change:

book:nature book:dungeon:[Wrath of the Valar]:5:divine

to:

book: prayer book:dungeon:[Wrath of the Valar]:5:divine
          PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• PowerWyrm
            Prophet
            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Nick
            I was thinking of it more as comparable to Mana Storm, but I wanted mages still to have the more powerful spells - but I think I've made it too weak. Maybe level*5?

It is a beam (the idea being priests don't really get powerful single target spells); what do you think, doubling the damage be too much?
            Ok, so Light of Manwe is the best spell. In that case yes, it should be more powerful -- clvl*5 works fine. But it should also be available earlier to benefit from the "light" effect, so why not make it level 30 with "weak light" and become "strong light" at level 40?

The problem with Spear of Orome is that it does barely more damage than Orb at four times the mana cost (not mentioning the failing rate and high level). Doubling the damage would be fine (clvl*d8, that's roughly 200 at level 50, same as old Annihilation). Oh wait, isn't that double against evil? Then no it's too powerful... I guess the problem is that Orb is good enough you don't need another "holy orb" spell at high level, unless you want something too powerful. Maybe change the element?
            PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• Huqhox
              Adept
              • Apr 2016

My first two priests on the latest build and both gained Sense Invisible as their first prayer. Which is nice but I can't cast it because it takes 4 mana (and I start with 2). Shouldn't this either be a higher level or don't choose spells with too high a cost when gaining?
              "This has not been a recording"

Comment

• Huqhox
                Adept
                • Apr 2016

Been playing a bit with the new priest class; priest is my favourite class from V but it has always seemed there is one thing that makes it quite a bit unbalanced: Orb of Draining. An issue that has been raised before.

The great thing about OoD is that it's an unresistable cheap ball spell that works on everybody, and doubly so against evil opponents. The only disadvantage it has is that you need to wait for a few levels to get it. But once you have it the game turns into an OoD spam fest. The best time as a priest is clearing a Hell Pit; it's not hell at all, more a shooting gallery with only the odd powerful unique that needs special care.

Is there scope now we are retooling the classes to avoid this? Presumably the basis of OoD is that it drains something from the monsters that it hits. Does that sound like a holy realm 'thing'? Surely it would suit necromancers better?

Obviously the whole doing double damage to evil opponents is in line with the holy magic scheme; but it also damages good monsters.

Perhaps this is the time to bite the bullet. Rename it to 'Holy Orb' and have it do zero damage against good monsters, normal against neutral and double against evil. Or only damage evil. That is bound to make playing a priest a lot more interesting.

Comment

• Derakon
                  Prophet
                  • Dec 2009

Making the priest's first attack spell only damage evil monsters is maybe a little mean...but would also have a big impact on how priests play. Seems worth trying.

Comment

• Huqhox
                    Adept
                    • Apr 2016

Maybe just not affecting good monsters. Priests aren't supposed to be using their magic to walk around dealing death and destruction from their holy magic (at least not at first!)

Or go down the D&D cause light wounds route as a bolt spell maybe just to give them something ranged

Comment

• Estie
                      Veteran
                      • Apr 2008

Priest in mid game, after the transition orb -> melee. I found an early buckland sling which I avoided using on purpose. Not much to report because I havent found many dungeon books yet. The one I have has a slay evil buff which might come in handy later, but atm double brand takes care of damage.

As for the minor healing, I almost never used it. Once orb kicks in, I rarely take damage.
                      And speaking of orb, please leave that one alone. I dont care if priest is supposed to nuke or not, but for a while you get to use mouse and escaping rings, and defender weapons that dont do damage; I wouldnt want to miss that phase. At some point orb falls off and you need to build melee and/or archery, or possibly other spells; priest is a caster class, so orb is arguably no more out of character than melee.

Hopefully I´ll see some dungeon books soon.

Edit: a fingerslip and Ancalagon got to breathe 2 times. I had all the books, but was waiting for reasonable failrates before testing spear of Orome. All in all, it feels like the old priest minus some utility spells.
                      Last edited by Estie; January 19, 2018, 17:00.

Comment

• debo
                        Veteran
                        • Oct 2011

Really begs the question: how "good" are these good monsters if they're attacking a priest?
                        Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• Derakon
                          Prophet
                          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by debo
                          Really begs the question: how "good" are these good monsters if they're attacking a priest?
                          How good is the priest if they're attacking "good" monsters?

Comment

• debo
                            Veteran
                            • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Derakon
                            How good is the priest if they're attacking "good" monsters?
                            They started it!

I always thought having alignments in angband was sort of stupid if it didn't change whether the monsters attacked you or not. It's just a resistance disguised as a different game mechanic.
                            Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• fph
                              Veteran
                              • Apr 2009

Originally posted by debo
                              I have seen religious flamewars started by much less...
                              --
                              Dive fast, die young, leave a high-CHA corpse.

Comment

• PowerWyrm
                                Prophet
                                • Apr 2008

Originally posted by PowerWyrm
                                The problem with Spear of Orome is that it does barely more damage than Orb at four times the mana cost (not mentioning the failing rate and high level). Doubling the damage would be fine (clvl*d8, that's roughly 200 at level 50, same as old Annihilation). Oh wait, isn't that double against evil? Then no it's too powerful... I guess the problem is that Orb is good enough you don't need another "holy orb" spell at high level, unless you want something too powerful. Maybe change the element?
                                Originally posted by Huqhox
                                Been playing a bit with the new priest class; priest is my favourite class from V but it has always seemed there is one thing that makes it quite a bit unbalanced: Orb of Draining. An issue that has been raised before.
                                Then I guess I have my answer...

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎