Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PowerWyrm
    Prophet
    • Apr 2008

I think you should rename "Pùkel-man" to "pukelman", like it's written in monster.txt.
    PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• Huqhox
      Adept
      • Apr 2016

Originally posted by PowerWyrm
      Gandalf can definitely use his staff to light the way. See LoTR in the Moria.
      Perhaps instead of the existing Light Area spell it should be a temporary increase of light radius, or a light to see by when torches etc have run out?
      "This has not been a recording"

Comment

• Derakon
        Prophet
        • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Tibarius
        I do! And i could even write it down so that a developer like Nick just needs to implement it
        Ahh, the fabled "game designer" job, where you supply ideas and let other people do the unpleasant work of implementing them. Sadly, game development tends to be a "bring your own implementation" situation; everyone has more ideas than they can implement themselves, so they have little interest in working on other peoples' ideas as well. Indeed, the primary reward that Nick gets for being the Vanilla maintainer is that he gets to implement his own ideas into the game...the primary penalty for being the Vanilla maintainer is everyone shouting their own ideas at him whenever he releases something.

On the plus side, Nick's also been working hard to make it easier for people to create new spells and effects by just modifying the data files, which at least means you don't have to recompile the game to test your new creations. In other words, I recommend trying to implement your own spell list and see how well it works. Publish your results here and you may well get other people to try it out as well.

Comment

• Tibarius
          Swordsman
          • Jun 2011

own spell list

Originally posted by Derakon
          Ahh, the fabled "game designer" job, where you supply ideas and let other people do the unpleasant work of implementing them. Sadly, game development tends to be a "bring your own implementation" situation; everyone has more ideas than they can implement themselves, so they have little interest in working on other peoples' ideas as well. Indeed, the primary reward that Nick gets for being the Vanilla maintainer is that he gets to implement his own ideas into the game...the primary penalty for being the Vanilla maintainer is everyone shouting their own ideas at him whenever he releases something.

On the plus side, Nick's also been working hard to make it easier for people to create new spells and effects by just modifying the data files, which at least means you don't have to recompile the game to test your new creations. In other words, I recommend trying to implement your own spell list and see how well it works. Publish your results here and you may well get other people to try it out as well.
          Good idea Derakon. Is that ok with you Nick?

I would setup an 'Wizard' class with actually even more than 9 books.

Wizards found that there is an arcane aura within every physical thing. Long studies enabled them to control these arcane side of everything by their intellect alone. So intelligence is the primary stat of Wizards. They are usually physical weak and fragile persons, relying on their mind instead. Using melee combat is despised and considered under their dignity. A wizard following the arcane arts
          searches his own way and prefers to rely on his wits. But do not underestimate them, they know that sometimes force alone can
          overcome foes they measure their strength with. They shun the shadow magic which too often comes with foul intentions, and they
          will never understand natures power of healing. But if they found light or nature spells effects too usefull to be ignored they usually
          found a way to offer them entrance into their grimoires.

+ ranger and rogue like spells are left out
          + no healing
          + variete of different strong / mana cost attack spells
          + no death / shadow magic
          + mana and elemental attacks
          + support / utility spells that thematically also fit into light / nature may eventually be included

I will start with an update of the 'new mage' section in class.txt in the /lib/gamedata folder. If there is anything else required to be done please anyone with the knowledge let me know. Thanks!
          Last edited by Tibarius; January 12, 2018, 18:03.
          Blondes are more fun!

Comment

• Nick
            Vanilla maintainer
            • Apr 2007

Good idea Derakon. Is that ok with you Nick?
            Couldn't stop you if I wanted to

Seriously, one of my main aims as maintainer has been to make the game easier to modify, for exactly this sort of reason.

I guess the broader question now becomes: if someone is playing with a class they wrote themself, are they still playing Angband, or is it a variant? And does it matter?
            One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
            In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Nick
              Vanilla maintainer
              • Apr 2007

Isn't the window.prf file in the /lib/user directory the sub window preferences?

I would like to avoid to setup my windows / fonts each time i install a new build version. So i copied window.prf file from the 35 build to the 38 build but neither fonts / nor window positions are taken from the preference file.

What do i do wrong please?
              What operating system are you playing on?

Originally posted by PowerWyrm
              Hmm is there a way to save your character preferences now? I'm tired of reselecting all the user interface options each time I start a new character...
              No, that was removed some time ago - see this (old) thread for the reasons. The easy thing to do is to use your old savefile, which does store the options.

Comment

• kaypy
                Swordsman
                • May 2009

A few versions back (I need to die more often) but:

If nothing has changed in the meantime, tap device gets 1.5x more energy from wands than staffs. I would have thought this should be the other way around?

Code:
                	if (tval_is_staff(obj)) {
                		energy = (5 + lev) * obj->pval;
                		item = "staff";
                	} else if (tval_is_wand(obj)) {
                		energy = (5 + lev) * 3 * obj->pval / 2;
                		item = "wand";
                	}

Originally posted by Nick
                I guess the broader question now becomes: if someone is playing with a class they wrote themself, are they still playing Angband, or is it a variant?
                Heh. Technically I've been playing "sorta-Angband" for a while now 8-)
                Last edited by kaypy; January 13, 2018, 00:23.

Comment

• kaypy
                  Swordsman
                  • May 2009

It occurs to me that the new shop layout makes it rather more likely than before that a priest would not have any blunt melee weapon available to purchase.

I suggest that if a character starts with the no-kit option, then what would have been in their kit is "sold" to the starting shop inventory and thus a viable starting equipment is always available. This is obviously not the equipment the player *wants*, but if theres nothing better....

Comment

• kaypy
                    Swordsman
                    • May 2009

Just noticed that one of the town help messages references "spellbooks 1-4". That will need rewording with differing town book counts...

Comment

• Derakon
                      Prophet
                      • Dec 2009

Originally posted by kaypy
                      It occurs to me that the new shop layout makes it rather more likely than before that a priest would not have any blunt melee weapon available to purchase.
                      What, you've never started a priest out with fisticuffs?

I mean, I'm kind of joking, but I'm kind of not. 1d1 fists aren't that much worse than a 1d3 whip, and anything stronger is also a lot more expensive.

Comment

• Nick
                        Vanilla maintainer
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by kaypy
                        If nothing has changed in the meantime, tap device gets 1.5x more energy from wands than staffs. I would have thought this should be the other way around?

Code:
                        	if (tval_is_staff(obj)) {
                        		energy = (5 + lev) * obj->pval;
                        		item = "staff";
                        	} else if (tval_is_wand(obj)) {
                        		energy = (5 + lev) * 3 * obj->pval / 2;
                        		item = "wand";
                        	}
                        I stole this from Oangband, where staffs have noticeably more charges than wands. On looking at the actual values in V, I might just make them both the higher value.

Thanks everyone for the continued feedback in this thread - I will answer some more stuff another time, and hope to get a new build out in the next day or so.

Comment

• Zireael
                          Adept
                          • Jul 2011

Haven't played the test branch, but scrolling through the discussion, I wanted to chime in.

Green for druid books goes wonderfully with the theme, and alleviates the colorblindness problem for players going with mages.

IMHO a death sphere hybrid class should be a death knight/antipaladin, not rogue. The rogues should stay as they are, not become any sort of hybrid casters.

Comment

• Tibarius
                            Swordsman
                            • Jun 2011

operating system

Originally posted by Nick
                            What operating system are you playing on?
                            Windows 7 Ultimate SP1
                            Blondes are more fun!

Comment

• Philip
                              Knight
                              • Jul 2009

I am aiming at overworking the mage class. If my 'development' is not widely accepted and replaces the existing class (or adds as new class) then this work will basically be wasted.
                              I believe you are being perhaps a bit too ambitious - it is reasonably likely that one of the ideas you create will catch on and make it into one or another of the new realms - quite a notable improvement IMO.

That being said, to avoid wasting your time duplicating work I would perhaps recommend not going much further than writing up your ideas and design philosophy until the first (new) version of each realm comes out.

Comment

• Tibarius
                                Swordsman
                                • Jun 2011

questions

What does the -10 in the spell effects tell me?

Frost Bolt for example:
                                effect:BOLT_OR_BEAM:COLD:-10

And how to define the max range for a spell, currently i see only TOUCH or BOLT_BEAM?
                                Blondes are more fun!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍