X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whartung
    Adept
    • May 2020

Originally posted by swim
    Also wondering what happens when a floor is completely cleared? Will no monsters ever spawn there again, or do some still spawn randomly?
    I don't know, but I'm going to hazard a guess that the existing monsters aren't mating, so respawns would happen on an empty level.

The monsters mating would bring a very twisted variant in to the game...

Comment

• DavidMedley
      Veteran
      • Oct 2019

White Worms and I both breed explosively
      Please like my indie game company on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/RatherFunGames

Comment

• swim
        Apprentice
        • Mar 2021

Thanks! =p

I think I'm going to go ahead and start a run with persistent levels and selling on. Not sure why but this seems to be the most appealing to me. Sort of Diablo-esque I suppose

Comment

• bughunter
          Adept
          • Nov 2019

Originally posted by whartung
          I don't know, but I'm going to hazard a guess that the existing monsters aren't mating, so respawns would happen on an empty level.

The monsters mating would bring a very twisted variant in to the game...
          Bangband.

(so very sorry)

Comment

• swim
            Apprentice
            • Mar 2021

Originally posted by bughunter
            Bangband.

(so very sorry)
            Rule 34 xD

Comment

• Nick
              Vanilla maintainer
              • Apr 2007

I had a read through this thread and I was just wondering if all the changes you mentioned regarding monster spawning and such have since been implemented? I looked through the change logs of versions since that feature was introduced and while they mention big fixes they don't specifically mention fixes to the persistent level feature.

Also wondering what happens when a floor is completely cleared? Will no monsters ever spawn there again, or do some still spawn randomly?
              Just getting slightly back on track...

No, none of the changes to monster spawning got implemented - so let us know how you get on. And monsters do spawn randomly while you're on a level, so that will still happen (but currently only on the level you're on).
              One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
              In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Sky
                Veteran
                • Oct 2016

monsters will continue to randomly spawn (in some hilarious instances, very quickly).
                I do not know if this applies to Uniques as well, but i would think yes. Save those Staves of Summoning !
                "i can take this dracolich"

Comment

• swim
                  Apprentice
                  • Mar 2021

Originally posted by Nick
                  Just getting slightly back on track...

No, none of the changes to monster spawning got implemented - so let us know how you get on. And monsters do spawn randomly while you're on a level, so that will still happen (but currently only on the level you're on).
                  Thanks! I suppose I'll give it a try anyways Though since it's my first real run I don't think I'll have any insight as to how it plays compared to the regular way.

Are there any plans to implement these at all in the future?

" - Have monsters on saved levels heal over time
                  - Make uniques and artifacts able to be generated on new levels (or by newly spawning on the current level) regardless of if they exist on a saved level; the previous one would just be deleted from where it was.
                  "

Comment

• swim
                    Apprentice
                    • Mar 2021

I have a suggestion,

It would be cool if there could be an option for levels to persist only as long as you remain in the dungeon. For example, you could descend down a few levels, then ascend quickly retracing your steps as the map is already filled out. But once you get to the town the dungeon would then reset everything.

For me this would solve a couple of concerns. I would get the enhanced feeling of immersion in the game knowing that there is some persistence, being able to revisit skipped areas on my way out and things like that. But I would also have the option to grind out early levels if I wanted to by simply returning to the surface.

Comment

• whartung
                      Adept
                      • May 2020

- Make uniques and artifacts able to be generated on new levels (or by newly spawning on the current level) regardless of if they exist on a saved level; the previous one would just be deleted from where it was.
                      "
                      Of course the problem here is that as you dive, you're building up a longer and longer list of monsters that need to be "maintained" and worked through each time you move (or even every X turns).

Imagine the trivial case of a fast dive, lots of "fresh" levels with lots of monsters that weren't even touched, vs a bunch of mostly empty levels because most of the monsters were cleared out. Plus, those levels will be growing (perhaps) to some capacity as new monsters spawned.

Finally, the "worst case" scenario is that you're down there dodging bullets and death with Morgoth, while the game is checking if a yeek needs to be healed or that there simply needs to be more yeeks on Level 1. An area that you'll probably never go back to, much less find any challenge in.

Now, you could do something like only "manage" the levels +/-5 levels of where you are, things like that to limit the processing.

But, the basic point is that it can be a lot of work to do, and it has to happen "often".

Comment

• backwardsEric
                        Knight
                        • Aug 2019

Are there any plans to implement these at all in the future?

"
                        The first is likely much easier to implement (record the time when the player leaves a level; upon return to the level, fast forward the creatures to the current time to handle healing and any timed effects). The second would be harder. Either probably requires new information stored in the save file. So, putting them in the game would bump the minor version number (i.e. 4.2 to 4.3) and break compatibility with old saved files.

It would be cool if there could be an option for levels to persist only as long as you remain in the dungeon. For example, you could descend down a few levels, then ascend quickly retracing your steps as the map is already filled out. But once you get to the town the dungeon would then reset everything.
                        Persistent levels in Hengband work that way (returning to the surface, either by the stairs or by recall, forgets the stored levels). It's possible that the variants that split off from Hengband (Poschengband, Composband, Frogcomposband, and Oposband) retain that behavior.

Comment

• swim
                          Apprentice
                          • Mar 2021

Originally posted by backwardsEric
                          Persistent levels in Hengband work that way (returning to the surface, either by the stairs or by recall, forgets the stored levels). It's possible that the variants that split off from Hengband (Poschengband, Composband, Frogcomposband, and Oposband) retain that behavior.
                          Cool I will have a closer look at some of those. Though I have really looked at them all on the surface and felt more at home with Angband for now. I would be curious if the dev's here would be receptive to the idea of adding it as an optional feature here. Though I would of course understand if that's not a direction they want to bother going in.

Comment

• Nick
                            Vanilla maintainer
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by backwardsEric
                            The first is likely much easier to implement (record the time when the player leaves a level; upon return to the level, fast forward the creatures to the current time to handle healing and any timed effects). The second would be harder. Either probably requires new information stored in the save file. So, putting them in the game would bump the minor version number (i.e. 4.2 to 4.3) and break compatibility with old saved files.
                            Actually, I think the first could be done fairly easily, because the savefile does record the entire level plus the game turn when it was stored. The second could technically be done too, but would slow down level generation horribly - before placing any artifact or unique, the game would have to trawl through every stored level to see if it needed to be deleted from there.
                            One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                            In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                              Prophet
                              • Apr 2007

Wow. A rule 34 cite! Gotta be a first. Thankfully I have never once seen Godwin here, though.

Comment

• bughunter
                                Adept
                                • Nov 2019

Originally posted by Pete Mack
                                Wow. A rule 34 cite! Gotta be a first. Thankfully I have never once seen Godwin here, though.
                                You did nazi that, ever?

Originally posted by Nick
                                The second could technically be done too, but would slow down level generation horribly - before placing any artifact or unique, the game would have to trawl through every stored level to see if it needed to be deleted from there.
                                Couldn't one instead keep a list of artifacts and uniques, with spawn status, last spawn level, level coordinates if previously spawned, a seen by character flag, and an lost/killed by character flag? At least it would be a fixed size.

Maintaining it would still cause some delays at new level generation, and when summoning monsters are active.

Not sure I think this kind of persistence is a good idea, mind you, but nor am I convinced it should be dismissed as impractical without applying a little bit more analysis. You guys are pretty darn smart...

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎