X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ingwe Ingweron
    Veteran
    • Jan 2009

4.0.2 Bugs

Minor bug. When wielding a sling, @ gets the message, "Your bow tingles in your hands."

I know that means extra shots, but it's not a bow.
    “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
    ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
  • Nivra
    Adept
    • Aug 2015

[OS X] Crash on Quit

In OS X Yosemity 10.10.4, running on a Macbook Air, I downloaded the OS X disk image, mounted the image, and am running Angband from there. It auto-uses my angband save info from 4.0.1.

Whenever I Cmd-Q Angband, it hangs, and I have no recourse but to force-quit. This happened when opening an old save file as well as after starting a new character.

Comment

• Tarrasque
      Scout
      • May 2015

Originally posted by Nivra
      In OS X Yosemity 10.10.4, running on a Macbook Air, I downloaded the OS X disk image, mounted the image, and am running Angband from there. It auto-uses my angband save info from 4.0.1.

Whenever I Cmd-Q Angband, it hangs, and I have no recourse but to force-quit. This happened when opening an old save file as well as after starting a new character.
      I get this with Cmd-Q too and reported it in the 4.0.2 release thread. (I missed this one until after I posted.) If I wait long enough it eventually crashes.

Comment

• Nick
        Vanilla maintainer
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
        Minor bug. When wielding a sling, @ gets the message, "Your bow tingles in your hands."

I know that means extra shots, but it's not a bow.
        Any missile launcher is generically referred to as a "bow" occasionally. I don't know if I'd quite call it a bug, more poor phrasing

And the command-q hang in OS X is (hopefully) fixed in development - as a workaround, use ctrl-x.
        One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
        In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Derakon
          Prophet
          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Nick
          Any missile launcher is generically referred to as a "bow" occasionally. I don't know if I'd quite call it a bug, more poor phrasing
          Call them "missile launchers" instead. Perfectly accurate, not misleading in the slightest.

Comment

• MattB
            Veteran
            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Derakon
            Call them "missile launchers" instead. Perfectly accurate, not misleading in the slightest.
            That'll only get Debo overexcited.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
              Veteran
              • Jan 2009

Another one that's not a bug, but ...

Sauron just dropped Narya. For flavor reasons, it seems to me that Sauron should be prohibited from dropping the Elven Rings of Power since he never touched them. The One Ring, if @ could be so lucky, is the only ring of power that Sauron should be able to drop.
              “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
              ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Derakon
                Prophet
                • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
                Another one that's not a bug, but ...

Sauron just dropped Narya. For flavor reasons, it seems to me that Sauron should be prohibited from dropping the Elven Rings of Power since he never touched them. The One Ring, if @ could be so lucky, is the only ring of power that Sauron should be able to drop.
                Ehh. If a blubbering icky thing can drop the One Ring, then Sauron should be able to drop the Elven Rings. Angband is not canon.

Comment

• MattB
                  Veteran
                  • Mar 2013

Angband is not canon.
                  Cannons are also liable to get Debo overexcited.

Comment

• MattB
                    Veteran
                    • Mar 2013

Ehh. If a blubbering icky thing can drop the One Ring, then Sauron should be able to drop the Elven Rings. Angband is not canon.
                    Besides, a certain Scruffy Looking Hobbit should be the first place to look for the One Ring. And that is canon.

Comment

• Grotug
                      Veteran
                      • Nov 2013

Discussion of Sauron battle..

Sauron keeps sending me up through the ceiling. I have no idea how I am supposed to defeat him. I can't seem to amass enough health potions. He summons so many baddies and I can't seem to find a good weapon.

I dropped my 4 rods of detection to reduce weight before engaging him and he sends me through the ceiling; no more rods of detection. Oh well. There are worse things to lose.
                      Beginner's Guide to Angband 4.2.3 Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9c9e2wMngM

Detailed account of my Ironman win here.

"My guess is that Grip and Fang have many more kills than Gothmog and Lungorthin." --Fizzix

Comment

• MattB
                        Veteran
                        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Grotug
                        Sauron keeps sending me up through the ceiling. I have no idea how I am supposed to defeat him. I can't seem to amass enough health potions. He summons so many baddies and I can't seem to find a good weapon.
                        Zig-zag corridors are your friend...

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                          Prophet
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Grotug
                          Sauron keeps sending me up through the ceiling. I have no idea how I am supposed to defeat him.
                          Nexus resist or perfect saving throw. That prevents level-teleports (other than your own, obviously).

Comment

• PowerWyrm
                            Prophet
                            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by MattB
                            Zig-zag corridors are your friend...
                            Or if your speed is high enough and you know the moving patterns you can always pillar-dance Sauron to death.
                            PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• Derakon
                              Prophet
                              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by PowerWyrm
                              Or if your speed is high enough and you know the moving patterns you can always pillar-dance Sauron to death.
                              The corridor is for keeping him from summoning, not keeping him from levelporting you.

I'm not entirely sure that nexus resist will protect you from the levelport spell. It certainly protects you from nexus levelporting you, but that's not the same thing. Frankly though, you've just been getting unlucky. Usually he doesn't cast that spell (just, speaking statistically).

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎