• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MattB
    Veteran
    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by kandrc
    I loaded up my Sonic Screwdriver:
    scummed dl1 until I found it, then dove. Fastest win ever. Anyway, after killing M, I tunnelled out the entirety (literally) of DL100, then started farming summoners. I was having a fantastic time when, suddenly...
    You tried the break the game...and succeeded! What's the problem?

Besides which, shouldn't it activate to breathe sound?

P.S. Purely out of interest, how did the hunger thing work with S.Dig and speed +70?

Comment

• Rowan
      Adept
      • Sep 2014

I looked around to see if this was mentioned anywhere, and I'm surprised I haven't seen anything, so maybe I missed a big discussion...

...but the new quiver system is really cumbersome and frustrating.

First, it's now a separate inventory that requires two key-presses to access. It used to show up at the bottom of regular inventory, so why change this?

Second, auto-arranging. Is there no way to customize or disable the auto-arranging of the quiver? Weak-to-strong or strong-to-weak, that doesn't match every player's playing style, but being able to customize it makes it work for everyone.

Third, auto-equipping to the quiver. Why would I want to put a bunch of pebbles in the quiver when I'm wearing a crossbow? Sometimes if you spot high-level ammo early on, it might be worth picking up to sell, even if it's not compatible with your equipped range weapon. But now I have to access the separate quiver inventory to view/sell it, and that's additional key-presses that didn't used to be there.

Obviously it's not game-breaking, and it's possible to get used to, but it feels less user-friendly than it used to be.

Comment

• PowerWyrm
        Prophet
        • Apr 2008

"The Berserker tramples over Lorgan, Chief of the Easterlings."

Not sure if this is a bug or not. Are uniques supposed to be able to get trampled? And should ordinary monsters be able to trample uniques?
        Currently, the only check in the code is higher level vs lower level, so yeah it happens.
        PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• Estie
          Veteran
          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Rowan
          I looked around to see if this was mentioned anywhere, and I'm surprised I haven't seen anything, so maybe I missed a big discussion...

...but the new quiver system is really cumbersome and frustrating.

First, it's now a separate inventory that requires two key-presses to access. It used to show up at the bottom of regular inventory, so why change this?

Second, auto-arranging. Is there no way to customize or disable the auto-arranging of the quiver? Weak-to-strong or strong-to-weak, that doesn't match every player's playing style, but being able to customize it makes it work for everyone.

Third, auto-equipping to the quiver. Why would I want to put a bunch of pebbles in the quiver when I'm wearing a crossbow? Sometimes if you spot high-level ammo early on, it might be worth picking up to sell, even if it's not compatible with your equipped range weapon. But now I have to access the separate quiver inventory to view/sell it, and that's additional key-presses that didn't used to be there.

Obviously it's not game-breaking, and it's possible to get used to, but it feels less user-friendly than it used to be.
          I have expressed my dislike of the new quiver as well, but there was a person who prefered the new system. I asked why and how exactly he used the quiver, because it boggled me, but he never answered. At least its now 2 vs 1 in favour of returning to old quiver

Comment

• Rowan
            Adept
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Estie
            I have expressed my dislike of the new quiver as well, but there was a person who prefered the new system. I asked why and how exactly he used the quiver, because it boggled me, but he never answered. At least its now 2 vs 1 in favour of returning to old quiver
            Haha! Hooray for voting. Let's close the polls now, while there's a clear majority.

I can't get the image out of my head, of a ranger with his bow and quiver of arrows, walking around the dungeon... He spots a pile of enchanted pebbles. "Ooh, those might fetch a price." He picks them up and fills up his quiver with the pebbles, because you know, technically they are also ammo.

Comment

• kandrc
              Swordsman
              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Nick
              ...or without at least a stack trace.
              I knew I forgot something.

Comment

• Derakon
                Prophet
                • Dec 2009

Haha! Hooray for voting. Let's close the polls now, while there's a clear majority.

I can't get the image out of my head, of a ranger with his bow and quiver of arrows, walking around the dungeon... He spots a pile of enchanted pebbles. "Ooh, those might fetch a price." He picks them up and fills up his quiver with the pebbles, because you know, technically they are also ammo.
                Game mechanics-wise there is zero reason to put ammo in the normal inventory, because it takes up more space there. If the UI didn't annoy you then you probably wouldn't mind having pebbles in your quiver when you're using a bow or crossbow.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                  Veteran
                  • Jan 2009

At first, I didn't like the new quiver system, but it has grown on me as Nick has improved it from its first implementation.

I empathize with those who don't like the new quiver though. Especially the extra key-presses required by automatic wielding of ammo that you pick up to ID, but then want to drop. Possibly, the ID fixes planned for 4.1 (or is it 4.2) might solve that issue.

As for ordering, the old system required inscriptions to order ammo the way I liked, and the new system is a little bit better. I think Nick has improved the automatic ordering, though I think it still needs some work.

I'd like it better based on regular damage output (ignoring slays), from least to greatest. Right now, "ego" type trumps damage output, e.g., magical pebbles that outperform shots are placed first, even though the shots cause less damage and are what I'd like @ to "spam" fire with the "h" key.
                  “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
                  ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Nick
                    Vanilla maintainer
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
                    Is the RNexus fix in the nightlies? But not the cone breath, is that what you're saying?

On another note, one minor bug I've noticed that was introduced during the 4.0beta fix for id by use problems. =Open Wounds identifies itself on activation, even if @ is at full hp. I think it is only supposed to ID when @ has some healing to do, much like !CLW, etc. At least, that's how it worked prior to 4.0.
                    Yes, that's what I'm saying.

Unless there's something really bad, I'm unlikely to do fixes to minor ID anomalies now, because 4.1 is slated to get rune-based ID which will turn it all upside down.
                    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                      Veteran
                      • Jan 2009

Just read a ?Deep Descent in town, and instead of dropping @ to DL67 (5 levels deeper than his previous DL62) it dropped only to DL5. Did this get broken when the Deep Descent/Rest & issue was fixed?
                      “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                        Veteran
                        • Jan 2009

Unless there's something really bad, I'm unlikely to do fixes to minor ID anomalies now, because 4.1 is slated to get rune-based ID which will turn it all upside down.
                        No problem here. Just reporting any bugs I find.

Comment

• Nick
                          Vanilla maintainer
                          • Apr 2007

Just read a ?Deep Descent in town, and instead of dropping @ to DL67 (5 levels deeper than his previous DL62) it dropped only to DL5. Did this get broken when the Deep Descent/Rest & issue was fixed?
                          Is that in 4.0.2, or the nightlies?

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                            Veteran
                            • Jan 2009

Is that in 4.0.2, or the nightlies?
                            Nightlies. g45d23c0

Comment

• Nick
                              Vanilla maintainer
                              • Apr 2007

The artifact bug is not fixed in 4.0.2. Nick did post that he fixed it, but the context of that post leaves in unclear whether it's fixed in 4.0.2 or in devel. If he believes it's fixed in 4.0.2, he's mistaken. I've done the same analysis I did in the older thread and confirmed that the issue persists.
                              This bug is now (I believe) properly fixed in the latest nightly build (f8e258c).

There were two remaining problems:
                              1. Artifacts weren't being checked for when level generation was abandoned and restarted and
                              2. Only the first item of monster inventories was being checked.

In addition, monster inventories weren't being checked when generating the artifact knowledge screen, allowing info about artifacts on the current level through before they were found.

There are still a few outstanding bugs. I won't be doing much on them in the next couple of weeks, but after that am planning to clean them up (along with any new ones) and release 4.0.3.

Comment

• Nick
                                Vanilla maintainer
                                • Apr 2007

This is now fixed in the latest nightly build (b662e89).

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎